Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Design Defect Or My Own Fault?

Much irritated this morning by a "design defect" in the RC.  Upon opening the boot after a light overnight snowfall the thin layer of what I had erroneously

thought to be solidly frozen flakes on the rear window slid unhindered directly into the boot as a single slab of ice.  Admittedly my reaction time was a bit

slow but the event was completely unexpected insofar as on the previous occasions I have had frozen snow on the car it stayed put long enough for me 

to reach inside the boot for my brush.  The "defect", if such it is, results from the slope of the window being so flat as to prevent sliding ice from being

caught or blocked by the boot drainage channel.   In future, when snow is forecast, I'll keep my brush inside the cabin.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this. The world benefits when people share their mistakes (or their discovery of design faults). I shall be careful with snow from now on.

Even just water on the boot lid can drip into the boot when the lid is raised, usually just from the corners.

What I find very irritating is the water that runs of the roof and into the door opening, usually dripping on me as I get into the car! Never experienced the like before on any other car.

41 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

What I find very irritating is the water that runs of the roof and into the door opening, usually dripping on me as I get into the car! Never experienced the like before on any other car.

It's the same on my GS and when the door's closed and window slightly open it drips right onto the window/mirror controls!

• Like 1

Not had any water or snow get into the IS boot yet.

But the dripping water when opening the door is actually really common although only confined to vehicles which don't have a plastic drain strip on the roof.

Sons MK5 Golf does it too and that doesn't have the water drain strips either.

I suggest an upgrade to garage storage... seriously though an interesting situation with snow. I've had estate cars for years so getting used to whole small boot thing is taking time.

When I lived in Germany, where we used to get a lot of snow in the winter, a neighbour advised me to keep a brush on top of the front wheel, on the driver's side. I could then brush the snow off BEFORE opening the door, reducing the risk of snow falling inside the car. 

1 hour ago, DanD said:

.... keep a brush on top of the front wheel ... 

I know a few Scandinavians who do this too, and it's a very good idea except when the snow doesn't materialise and you forget the brush is there...