Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Have a very similar problem with my wipers. 2013 is300h 110K. Wipers only work on full speed. Not rain dependent. Will stop mid screen unless I hit the cancel when they reach the bottom. Even at that, don't park properly at bottom of screen. If I do manage to get them to park exactly at bottom by accident, then intermittent works for a minute or two and they freeze again mid cycle. 

Had it looked at and need a new wiper motor (400+). Getting replaced once part comes in. Very disappointed in the quality of this Lexus part. Seems like I'm not alone.

I was thinking that one possible explanation is that the wipers were left on auto when frozen to windscreen, and the motor internals were compromised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveegg said:

I have exactly the same intermitent fault on my GS300h.  It's been back to 2 different Lexus dealers a total of 4 times.  But each time they say can't experience the fault and nothing shows up on on the computer.  On youtube a US Lexus owner videoed the wiper problem and the concensus on the replies is the fault is almost certainly a defective relay in the wiper switch.  In another similar video a Toyota owner claimed the fault is common on Toyotas and shows how to replace the wiper replay in the switch for $10 or about £8.  I am looking for an auto electrician who can do this job as I don't fancy paying £200 or so if I instruct my local Lexus dealer to change the complete switch.

This is interesting. I have warranty so shouldn't have to pay. I may visit my local dealer and mention this and ask them to replace the relay. Thanks.

Mmmm......I doubt the Lexus dealer will be willing to change the relay as this means removing the switch assembly, opening it, sourcing a relay of the same type, and soldering it in.  Lexus dealers simply don't this kind of electrical surgery.  However, as you have a warranty you can insist they change the complete wiper switch.  I wish I had insisted when it was under warranty.  Each time they said "nothing we can do if we can't see the fault".  I think this is a cop-out as this relay fault is fairly common.  It is due to owners trying to make the wipers operate on frozen windscreens thereby inducing excess current through the switch relay.

17 hours ago, Daveegg said:

It is due to owners trying to make the wipers operate on frozen windscreens thereby inducing excess current through the switch relay.

Doesn't that make it a problem caused by the owner rather than a manufacturing fault and therefore outside the warranty?

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my wipers only working on high speed and requiring manual intervention to park at bottom i.e. hitting stop when they are at the bottom.

Waited 2 weeks for wiper motor to arrive,

Visited garage and they replaced motor. Still had the same problem. Said it was probably the relay.

Waited another week to get the relay.

Visited garage and replaced relay. Still had the same problem.

Five hours later finally sorted problem - apparently a second relay in the circuit was causing the problem. 

So 2 visits, 3 weeks elapsed time, 5 hour wait, 2 relays (@ €58 x 2) and €300 worth or labour, its now working.

So much for Lexus reliability - crap.

I'm having the same problem on my 2013 is300h f sport with 45k miles.

Wipers stop half way up on auto.

Also sometimes when I use the windscreen washers they(wipers) don't come on either.

On 9/12/2018 at 1:27 PM, sheamus said:

So 2 visits, 3 weeks elapsed time, 5 hour wait, 2 relays (@ €58 x 2) and €300 worth or labour, its now working.

You should be asking for a refund on the first one as it clearly wasn't faulty and the garage misdiagnosed.

Colin, 

Indeed, I had though about that. But 50 off a bill or 500  doesn't reduce the pain significantly and to be honest, I prefer having 2 new relays (car has 110k on clock) as I don't want to ever have to deal with similar wiper issue again.

I was informed by garage that there have been less than 10 reported faults ever in Ireland for this problem with is300h. (something like 3 motors and 5 relays). 

Thanks Sheamus.

So2 the same relays yeah?

Do you reckon changing them is a DIY job?

@Bob will you keep us updated on the outcome please Bob.

@k900

According to worksheet 2 of the same. You may only need one. Or indeed it may be the motor and not the relays. I'd be looking to eliminate faulty relays first. Diy job - I'd say yes but only if you can locate them (that will be the hard part) and possibly may need soldering skills to replace. I've attached the component diagram that I downloaded from https://www.lexus-tech.eu way back when I was looking to do it myself. If you understand electrical diagrams you can see the 2 relays (with the coils). This doesnt really help in locating though.WasherSystem.thumb.JPG.c5d196579ea9e313a4b96ab881855bff.JPG

That's great Sheamus,its another step in the right direction at the very least.

Yes I can see the relays in the diagram,they each have 5 pins.

I'll do a bit of soldering no problem if needs be.

Just hope it's a relay issue I have.

Has anyone else like i have,experienced the wipers stopping mid screen when using the washers intermittently.

I also have intermittent auto wiper issue.

Quick update.

Paid for an hours access to the tech website £3. Found the location of the relays which are with the abs relays in a 5 inch relay box in the engine bay on the drivers side just below the brake reservoir. 

Used a smallish screwdriver to release the catch on the left hand side, relays are on the left. Removed the INT relay as they are plug in. 

Now that I know where they are I ordered two relays off eBay, albeit used, for £5.

The relays came today so I removed the INT relay and fitted the replacement, I cleaned the contacts before fitting with fine emery and contact cleaner.

Yesterday I tested the wipers and they didn't work except in fast mode, wetted the windscreen today and tried them and they worked normally put them in auto and again worked normally. Wipers parked correctly. 

So far so good I will now wait to see if the fix is permanent after a spell of use as they did work before for a while.

if everything is ok it is an easy fix in about 10 minutes. I suppose the best thing to do is buy a new relay from Toyota now we have the part number.

Hope this helps others with the same problem as it is a quick and cheap fix.

I will post if it recurs in the coming days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bob, that's great info.

I was a bit baffled when I couldn't spot the relays in the other larger relay box on the other side of the engine bay.

For anyone still wondering where the brown relays are they're here

2vrvf3o.jpg

Also a vid of my wipers acting up

First when I used my washers they didn't automatically come on,I had to switch them manually and then they stayed  up and he had to switch them on to get them to come back down.

Tried them again this morning. Left the car running and sprayed the windscreen with the wipers set to auto and they worked normally. Used the windscreen washers and again worked normally. Looks like it could be the fix. 

I couldnt understand why lexus changed the wiper motor on people's cars before trying the simpler cheaper option of the relays, but when I was in the tech site I looked at the diagnostics section for wiper problems, unless I missed it I didn't see any reference to relays in the diagnostic procedure, everything LED to a motor exchange. If lexus technicians follow these procedures it's no wonder the first thing they do is change the motor. In all my motoring life I don't think I have ever had to change a wiper motor even on cheap cortinas. 

• Like 1

TOYOTA LEXUS DENSO RELAY 5 PIN BROWN 9098704004 1567000860

I just googled the above and got them from goaheadparts on eBay, delivered the following day. I ordered two in case both relays needed changing but I only used one. Might keep the other in the car in case it's needed. They look the same as you are looking at, they must be available fom a motor factors over here somewhere. Not sure why the relay failed sometimes they just do, probably high resistance over the contacts. My car is always garaged so sticking to a frozen windscreen was not an issue, could be a poor batch or maybe as it was the intermittent relay and the wipers are always set to auto it may be degradation due to constant use. I printed off the relay tests from the tech site so may see what values I get from the faulty relay and new one. I can connect them to my golf trolley Battery to see the switching operation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links