Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus v Skoda

Think I came off the better for this one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :wallbash:

Stationary at a junction in a 30 mph zone - smacked in the back by someone, speeding? or in a hell of a hurry to move on?

1.thumb.jpg.c38b5e2fafcb63b863de5a6fa96156cd.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.3693728340c692a8f6e4fa989c8676c6.jpg

Damage - to mine:

Bumper / boot lid / boot floor / underside panels / exhaust diffusers both knocked off - not bad considering damage to the other

No damage to the exhaust or light which is very surprising considering. The driver of the other car could not even open the drivers door it took that big a hit

Any ideas on costs ?

• Sad 2

Ouch, what doesn't look too bad to the untrained eye quickly changes when the bodyshop guy utters the immortal words

''Oh dear, couldn't have been hit in a worse place''

Don't be surprised if it's written off, sorry.

58 minutes ago, graham8370 said:

Ouch, what doesn't look too bad to the untrained eye quickly changes when the bodyshop guy utters the immortal words

''Oh dear, couldn't have been hit in a worse place''

Don't be surprised if it's written off, sorry.

Was thinking that - at least no one was injured. The other car had bald tyres ... !!!! Insurance going through ok so far - hire car Lexus CT coming tomorrow. Will keep informed on how things go with the insurance co.

I liked the car although 11 years old now and at 107k miles. Might be time to upgrade ?

• Like 1

I hope it goes well for you too. My insurance woes are not good at all.

Do you have witnesses or dashcam evidence?

In my terrible experience, if they guy who hit you says you reversed into him, they will split liability.  Don't underestimate the lies people tell. 

Mine is still at formal complaint stage, I will escalate to the ombudsmen not that it will change anything. 

Sorry to hear what has happened.

It will probably end up with a perfectly good car being written off because of someone carelessness.

I hope this isn't the case though and you get it all sorted easily.

10 hours ago, chr15gb said:

I hope it goes well for you too. My insurance woes are not good at all.

Do you have witnesses or dashcam evidence?

In my terrible experience, if they guy who hit you says you reversed into him, they will split liability.  Don't underestimate the lies people tell. 

Mine is still at formal complaint stage, I will escalate to the ombudsmen not that it will change anything. 

5 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Sorry to hear what has happened.

It will probably end up with a perfectly good car being written off because of someone carelessness.

I hope this isn't the case though and you get it all sorted easily.

Well, so far so good... car collected today and a hire car dropped off (2016 BMW 3) Will find out about mine on Friday / Monday regarding the inspection recommendation for repair or write off. The guys that collected it were sure it would be repaired as its not as bad in the pictures - bumper / boot lid and the panel behind the bumper was lightly bent in - hoping for it to be repaired but its in the back of my mind that its going to the metal yard !

Been looking around for something similar just in case - found 2 but the SE-L is quite scarce at a pre 100k mileage but hope I wont need to go down this road.

Early days but the insurer has been fantastic - I carefully say "early days"

I have a dash cam pointing forwards - no witnesses.

Real shame, you had invested time, attention and money in that car and for someones carelessness to take it away.

Hope you find a really nice replacement very soon

Lexus IS250 are lovely cars and hard to replace - I almost feels stuck with mine.. not saying I would want somebody to rear-end my car to "help it go", but in some way that is opportunity for change.

Good luck looking for replacement

Insurance came back last week with a settlement figure – due to the mileage and age of the car I had only expected between 3.5 and 4k with an argument so I got myself fed up for a week or so.

I managed to settle on a figure of £5.2k !! I also managed to rescue my new alloys and tyres that I bought at the end of last year so I have a good spare set now that I can use or sell on.

I have taken no hit on my NCB and my premium has not been affected as I have effectively started a new policy. Well chuffed with the service from Admiral. I still have the hire car for another week – 2016 BMW 320i X Drive. When I went to the holding compound to rescue my wheels I drove my car out of the compound and what a difference in the drive between the cars. I had been driving the BMW for 2 weeks by then but when I got in my own what a difference in the feel of mine – quicker and quieter. Felt smoother but I didn’t drive it that far. The BM however is an estate so that may be why its noisy but does not detract from the feel of the drive in the Lexus and considering mine is (was) 11 years old compared to almost 2 years for the BM…. There, to me, is no comparison between them both. A few nice touches in the BM – speed limiter and the DAB radio and the cruise button felt better to control but I can say that was it. The dash was in red which made it uncomfortable to read it, especially at night, and the wind noise was terrible on the motorway – it had only  done 10k so its not been hammered. Think I will stick to my Lex.

So… after searching literally everyday for 2 weeks through the obvious channels (autotrader/ebay/web etc), hoping something new and local would come up, I initially found a White F Sport which I liked but the owner pulled out of the sale. So back to the drawing board. Lunch time today, after checking yesterday, I just happened to open auto trader up again and found a 2006 localish to me (first one on the search), Silver 250 SE-L model low low miles (25k) FSH and a recent Lexus health check AND with the sunroof option in immaculate condition. I don’t usually go for low miles on a car but the sunroof and FSH tempted me on this one. I am going back a year as my last one was a 2007 model  and was hoping for a 2010 or so model but as I only do approx. 6k a year, this will see me for a good few years now. The only think with it is that it has the cream leather rather than the black that I am used to. A lot of the cars I have looked at had this and I have found it very hard to find a black leather option in the SE-L spec, even further away from home. But its no deal breaker… it could be swapped out I suppose if I cant live with it.

5 years is the longest I have managed to keep these cars – the first IS200 was drowned in a flood after owning for 5 years /  more recent one was murdered in an accident after 5 years ownership. This one, well, lets see. At one years difference I cant see there being much difference in the spec – it has the ML system etc so hoping it drives well. Have put a deposit on it an going to view / pick up this week – will put pics up when its back home in the “cradle”

One thing I did find when I was looking was that there were a few manual IS’s (250) with sunroofs but no auto’s – I found one with the full moonroof but the owner wanted too much for that one (excessive miles) but I thought that one was unique.

Pics to follow

• Like 1

£5200 is a very good price for your old one.  Nice to see a good outcome at the end of this sad tale. :smile:

25K over 12 years is a little over 2000 miles a year.  Hopefully you can put the car to some good use now.

8 minutes ago, is200 Newbie said:

Well chuffed with the service from Admiral.

That's good to hear as I'm changing over to Admiral next month.

Never good to have your car written-off, especially through no fault of your own, but it sounds like you're quite happy with the outcome. 

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

£5200 is a very good price for your old one.  Nice to see a good outcome at the end of this sad tale. :smile:

25K over 12 years is a little over 2000 miles a year.  Hopefully you can put the car to some good use now.

56 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

That's good to hear as I'm changing over to Admiral next month.

Never good to have your car written-off, especially through no fault of your own, but it sounds like you're quite happy with the outcome. 

28 minutes ago, graham8370 said:

Me keeping my fingers crossed must have helped. Sounds like you're pleased with the outcome.

I do think insurance companies are being fairer these days. Well done.

Thanks Guys

Impressed with the insurance so far - re-insured next one tonight and ready to go when I collect it. I am not happy in losing the car but happy its turned out ok - always wanted a sunroof so its a bonus I guess but the wrong way to go around it. Guess I got more from the accident than I would have done on the part ex, plus a months worth of a hire car ...

Collected the new (old) car today

What a difference - its practically new (although its 12 years old) Absolutely spotless, cant find a mark on it whatsoever. The owner has only had to refurb the wheels and even they have been done really well.

25k on the clock and it feels new - quiet and pulls like a tractor. Sunroof is a very nice option and I have already got used to the leather seats - I thought that they were cream but they are a dusky grey which is quite unique and goes well with the colour of the car which is a light blue colour.

Loving it so far

• Like 2

And where are the photos? :ohmy:

Was it garaged then and never taken to any car parks?  When I live in London it was a case of when, not if, it was going to be dinged, dented or scratched.

Collected the new (old) car today
What a difference - its practically new (although its 12 years old) Absolutely spotless, cant find a mark on it whatsoever. The owner has only had to refurb the wheels and even they have been done really well.
25k on the clock and it feels new - quiet and pulls like a tractor. Sunroof is a very nice option and I have already got used to the leather seats - I thought that they were cream but they are a dusky grey which is quite unique and goes well with the colour of the car which is a light blue colour.
Loving it so far
Like that blue. It's a grey isn't it but looks blue in some light's. Nearly got that colour but ended up with the silver with the grey interior. Only thing I'm not happy with is the wood

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Strangely I am not the fan of the wood either, but I get a lot of compliments from the passengers especially if they are ~ 40+ years old. Obviously, youngsters these days only want carbon fiber and that is the group I belong to as well. I like FL dark/grey wood much better than pre-FL brown.

As for the colour that is obviously very personal, I had Black/Black, then Mercury Grey/Grey (which I was really disappointed about) and now Black/Black again. For exterior colours I only like Black or Winsor Blue (which is basically black with blue metallic flakes). And for interior only black, I believe the issue I have is that Lexus not only made seats Grey/Cream, but as well carpets and panels which looks a bit odd to me, plus they seems to wear faster then black, the only other non-back colour which would ever accept in interior of used car would be Dark rose and Tan Brown (obviously not an option on IS mk2), light colours only for new cars which at the moment I have no plans of buying... but again colour very personal thing and there is no right or wrong choice.