Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400H: OBD2 Diagnostics

I'm wondering if my 2006 RX400H has a 16 pin OBD2 port.   If yes, does anybody know where it is?

And what software can I use on my PC to check for faults - can anybody recommend anything suitable?  Is EasyOBD suitable?

Finally, I note in the owners manual that there are many configuration options possible in the workshop (eg how to control the beeps when the power boot is opening / closing).  Are these changes also made through the OBD2 port?  What software can be used to make these changes?

Yes it does. All vehicles after around the year 2001 have to and it has to be located within 1m of the steering wheel without the need to remove any panels.

On the 400h it is below the wheel, above the pedals. You may need to get outside the vehicle and put your head into the footwell to find it. There is probably a black cover over the port.

Carista is a good app that allows customisations. Otherwise you should look at Toyota's Techstream however this is expensive if you don't have a pirate copy.

• Like 2

You'll need a miniVCI cable from eBay (about £15 to £25) to connect the laptop to the car and these almost always come with a copy of Techstream but, as Mr B above points out, this will be a pirated copy, so it's down to your own morals as to whether you use it or not.

We obviously won't allow the discussion of using illegal software on LOC. However you can legally use Techstream -  download for free and pay for access as and when you need it from the following official website:

https://www.lexus-tech.eu/GTS/Wizard/step2-intro.aspx

The software itself can be a pain to get working as you need a 32-bit version of Windows which isn't so accessible these days. That is why something like Carista is easier to use - directly from your smartphone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

The software itself can be a pain to get working as you need a 32-bit version of Windows which isn't so accessible these days.

Not the case now - I have it working on 64-bit Windows 10 Pro.

thanks for all your replies.  That sounds good then.  It seems that some software can do both diagnostics AND configuration changes, whereas others may do only diagnostics OR configuration changes.  

I'd prefer to try free software first:  can anybody provide any feedback on using any free OBD software with their Lexus? 

I have an ELM327 device that has been modified to work on the medium speed bus as well as the high speed bus on Fords.  Does the RH400H have only the high speed bus? I presume that this device would work on my RX400H - can anybody confirm this?