Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Washed and polished, comes up nice. Went over the windows with rain-x too, I'll see if it makes a difference. I've found it more effective the more sloped the windscreen is so it might not have much impact.

Went over the bonnet and filled in any stone chips with a turtle wax chip stick.

IMG_20180321_151731858.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Z28DUNC said:

Washed and polished, comes up nice. Went over the windows with rain-x too, I'll see if it makes a difference. I've found it more effective the more sloped the windscreen is so it might not have much impact.

Went over the bonnet and filled in any stone chips with a turtle wax chip stick.

IMG_20180321_151731858.jpg

There aren't too many cars that are 20+ years old that can still look as though it has just come out of the showroom after a good wash & polish. My dark green LS looks a million dollars after a wash and brush up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rupert Dubreaux said:

Clear lenses looking good Duncan , where did you acquire them from if you don't mind me asking .

Managed to get them from someone who was selling a car with them fitted and I cheekily asked if he'd sell them. I don't think anyone will sell them into the UK so they are hard to get hold of.

On 18/03/2018 at 4:03 PM, runsgrateasanut said:

I've placed a piece of black insulating tape about 1.5 inches behind the perspex where the bulb is brightest and it has made a difference. Unfortunately my Camera's disposable batteries are very low and for some reason they darken the room background, but this my last photo (I promise) and  I think gives as best I can get.  The reason for this saga is partly to give a more modern blink to the indicators (so I imagined)  but also the Amber bulb is not that bright in daylight in Clear Housing. So its a sort of safety addition. Won't be done until I'm in a garage abroad some weeks away. I've left sufficient cabling as the indicator units have to be pulled out at almost 90 degrees.  I'm planning a drive down to Frejus so it may not get done at all. C'est la vie.! 

Another attempt at the rear Springs replacement taking place tomorrow by my Mechanic.  Good luck with that! 

IMG_2599.JPG

Just an update on this possible mod.  Sadly, the old Lexus let us down half a mile from Stop 24 on the M20.  The Alternator gave up the Ghost.  Two hour wait on the hard standing and 120 mile on low loader return to base. Trip temporarily cancelled.  Awaiting a part before attempting replacement. I'd add that having inspected the Clear indicators to add a strip of LED's there is a problem in that the  Clear Plastic parts have a flimsy Aluminium inner reflective liner. Not so easy to cut a hole in, but I will in due course give it a try using silicone to hold it firm to the plastic.  The length of the strip may be too long because of the liner and so will report back in due course. Only silver lining (pun) is that the weather in France is much the same as here- rubbish - so May month should be better.

6 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Sadly, the old Lexus let us down half a mile from Stop 24 on the M20.  The Alternator gave up the Ghost

almost exact;y the same place as mine went pop in the rain in my Mk1 Ls400 ( many years ago now ) ............  no warning of impending doom, the pas fluid had  leaked onto it ...........  as it does often eventually on the Mk1 ( and Mk2  ? ) ...........  and I had to wait a couple of hours for the brand new recovery truck ( One Time )  brand new vehicle which the driver told me broke down immediately as he left the yard :yahoo:

you couldn't make it up !

Malc

• Haha 1

What a coincidence. Well I had an inkling something was wrong when in drizzle the other side of the Q. Elizabeth 11 Bridge, the Windscreen wipers seemed to be running a little slow. That said the Big "O" was coming through fine on the CD player and I think I got into my old Mum and Aunts mode of if "it aint stopped just keep going" !!.  A few hesitant jerks on the Bridge (which may have been the surface) and must have ploughed on a further twenty miles with rather dim light cluster but no "Battery " light showing. There were no Lay-bys but perhaps I could have pulled off the M20.  Then it just seemed to die, with the Instrument cluster Arms waving all over the place like they were in torment. (Which they were!)  A  good job it died before I got to the slipway to Early Arrivals.  Only part recovery by Ashford people on a nice new low loader, who then dumped us at Medway to be taken the 100 miles home by a rather older cramped and passed its best, low loader.  I had ordered a new Alternator and Power Steering pump from the USA a couple of weeks back. Perhaps I had a portent of things to come?  This is what I've received today from the States as supposedly a new  Lexus LS400 1990 - 1997 P/S pump!! . Haven't a clue what this fits but think I'm going to lose a wad of money having paid duty and shipping. Ferry tickets down the drain..  Its just not my Week!

IMG_2606.JPG

your travel insurance might cover the lost tickets cost !

Malc

It used to be just the O rings or whatever on the pas pump that needed changing !

but I'm sure someone on here with more knowledge will tell all

That is a replacement pump and reservoir for the power steering and fits all models up to 97.

Get it fitted professionally as a bleed and purge is required to remove any air in the system. 

On 3/22/2018 at 8:04 PM, Bluesman said:

There aren't too many cars that are 20+ years old that can still look as though it has just come out of the showroom after a good wash & polish. My dark green LS looks a million dollars after a wash and brush up.

You're right, they must have used some very top notch paint & gloss, I've not seen any other cars looking so good, for that matter, here in London, we had quite a lot of s class  mercs around in late 1990's I have not seen one of those late '90's mercs around for years now let alone looking like an LS400 looks like after all those years >in this London< city of fumes throughout life.

Got this delivered today. Been waiting ages for it to come (post office lost it first time round). The current one in the car has no backlight and half the display isn't working.

Hopefully get round to fitting it at the weekend.

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1523540584937.jpg_1523540588021.jpeg

4 hours ago, ambermarine said:

That is a replacement pump and reservoir for the power steering and fits all models up to 97.

Get it fitted professionally as a bleed and purge is required to remove any air in the system. 

Phil perhaps you are right?  but my first impression of what I've purchased and this pump was that it was totally the wrong pump. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Steering-Pump-with-Reservoir-Fits-90-97-Lexus-LS400-4-0L-DOHC-1UZFE/371907948742?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D2be53df046194531b1bb79ec451317b0%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D371907948742%26itm%3D371907948742&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507  

I havn't taken it out of the bag because the inlet for the low pressure return is facing the wrong way.  Also the back of the unit bears no resemblance to the unit in the Lexus Tutorial that I've looked at. The Three bolt holes are at, on the clock 3, 6 and 9.    Does the Mk4 have this style of Reservoir.?

I'm guessing that this is possibly for a Transverse engine of some kind? 

4 hours ago, ambermarine said:

Stuart

Thats probably because you have been sent one with the drive pulley fitted which the one on the ebay site as not .

That in itself is a bonus as the wheels are a pig to get off.

Really? I took mine off in a cambelt change and it was not one of my issue items...what was the problem? Just seized solid? If it’s that trollied maybe a new unit is due.

I thought bleeding was easy...from earlier post...I mean you don’t need leeches or a blood letter...😀

17 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

I havn't taken it out of the bag because the inlet for the low pressure return is facing the wrong way.  Also the back of the unit bears no resemblance to the unit in the Lexus Tutorial that I've looked at. The Three bolt holes are at, on the clock 3, 6 and 9.    Does the Mk4 have this style of Reservoir.?

I'm guessing that this is possibly for a Transverse engine of some kind? 

Hi Stuart

I cannot remember exactly what the layout of the early pre 97 pump was but the reservoir was attached and sealed with an O ring,I have taken some pics of my Mark 4 and as you can see the reservoir is remote from the pump and the thick pipe at the bottom is the fluid feed to the pump.

The only way to get a definitive answer is to offer up the pump to the engine the low pressure inlet feed is not critical as I dont think it matters on pipe fitting.

DSC03529.JPG

DSC03528.JPG

DSC03527.JPG

Really frustrating that if you have the costs to bear for the ***** up,It as the look of the 300 having checked a few video's and part diagrams but I 'll be interested to know eventually,the upside is the new pumps are nearly £400 genuine Lexus OEM.

Hope you can get the costs out of them.

Sorry Duncan I seem to have hijacked this thread.  I had hoped by now that I'd have fitted those LED lights to the Clear indicators on my Car.  I think they will be an improvement on the Chromed bulb look which I also have.  It was on my "to do" list in France.  Eventually - it will happen. They looked pretty good in the Amber units, but I prefer the Clears. 

Phil, the sender has already Posted to me the correct P/S pump marked as "parts". (Yet to arrive) I doubt Customs will wear that, and I may have to fork out Duty. However, they are not sending me a Returns note for the wrong part and I may end up with a saleable item which will cover the expense - if I can determine what vehicle it fits.?  We'll see. 

Phil, The grey matter thought to look at what else they were selling.  Personally I've not heard of the vehicle but then I don't take a great deal of interest in Cars, just the one I've got.  Do they sell this vehicle in the UK ??  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Steering-Pump-with-Reservoir-fit-05-17-Toyota-Tacoma-2-7L-DOHC-2TRFE/302613429823?hash=item46752a7e3f:g:4hoAAOSwXzNaZ681

Stuart the Tacoma as been sold in the states for 40 years but as been sold here as the  brand Hilux there are variations to the Tacoma but itis basically the same pickup truck .

Swapped the radio over at the weekend for a second hand one with a working display. The old one had no lighting and the display had mostly disappeared.

Centre console was easy to get out but the top vents are stubborn. Plastic trim tools are a must. Also the connectors are really tight so require a firm pull.

Thought the HVAC controls hadnt been connected back properly when I started the car but after 10 seconds or so they came on. Must be a system check after being disconnected.

IMG_20180421_144133000.jpg

IMG_20180421_150015401.jpg

• Like 1

It’s a bit frightening pulling the vents out first time but you soon discover Lexus clips tend not to break easily so your confidence grows over time.

The back light problem is easily fixed in 20 minutes with decent soldering skills but bleeding or blacked out LCDs are another thing so you did the best thing replacing the complete unit.