Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

well after being without a 400 for over 10 months i got itchy feet and bought a 98 400 only done 108k cambelt done 10k ago 4 new tyres and a new Battery yesterday pick it up saturday so pics will follow very soon

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

well i went to pick the car up and upon seeing it in the flesh i declined it .the bonnet is badly faded and pitted looks like its been painted before a large scab on the back arch ,front air con pipes seriously corroded .new discs needed soon and the interior didnt match up to a car with supposedly that sort of mileage for his trouble he kept the £100 i paid to take it offsale .and to top it off he re lists it due to timewaster

Seems to me they can make money without selling the car on eBay and the scabbier it is the more likely it will be declined so that may be a new scam that as been devised.

Keep looking I bought my Mark 4 on eBay and it was as described so the there are genuine sellers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ste42 said:

he kept the £100 i paid to take it offsale

a thought ...........if the car wasn't as described i would issue a simple Court summons against him for fraud or summat .......  he will pay you the £100 plus the Court fees ( £60 ) if he doesn't return your £100 immediately ...  i would think

How did you pay the £100 /  by card or bank transfer ...... has a bearing

Chat with the Citizens Advice Bureau  initially 

Malc

18 minutes ago, Malc said:

a thought ...........if the car wasn't as described i would issue a simple Court summons against him for fraud or summat .......  he will pay you the £100 plus the Court fees ( £60 ) if he doesn't return your £100 immediately ...  i would think

How did you pay the £100 /  by card or bank transfer ...... has a bearing

Chat with the Citizens Advice Bureau  initially 

Malc

bank transfer his argument was he took it off sale and his description said various scratches and a 20 yr old car

I would just tell him you are issuing the summons ( on line ) and that you will easily win the argument and he will have to repay the £100 plus the £60 ? Court fees too ...........  that's automatic.

Malc

• Thanks 1

Hi, This post attracted my attention because of money passing between total strangers to each other. I have never done a bank transfere & all my online payments are done by paypal or a straightforward debit payment, if I am not satisfied with something I simply get my bank to refund back into my visa account (done it a couple of times).

Steve, my understanding of bank transfers is that bank account numbers must be exchanged, ( very valuable to the wrong person, remember the talk talk fiasco?) does that mean the car seller now has your bank account number? Apart from that, the seller woud have 'no case to answer in any UK small claims court.

4 minutes ago, Petv said:

Hi, This post attracted my attention because of money passing between total strangers to each other. I have never done a bank transfere & all my online payments are done by paypal or a straightforward debit payment.

Steve, my understanding of bank transfers is that bank account numbers must be exchanged, ( very valuable to the wrong person, remember the talk talk fiasco?) does that mean the car seller now has your bank account number?

Peter

Bank transfers are the most common type of bank transaction after direct debit usually used for paying for services  Plumber, decorator ,etc ,the payer is the only one to get the bank details and to that end is safe from scamming ,the only danger is with this type of transaction , paying into the wrong account .

Thanks Phil, now I understand it fully & correctly, personally I would never give my account number to some stranger online, it's asking for trouble. Paypal also will also take your money back, I think a request must be made within 7 or 14 days, anyway the seller did not break any part of the contract made steve & himself, no legal case to answer, Steve made the offer, the seller accepted on the terms they had both agreed, I think Ive just seen it on eBay, as usual with an LS400 it looks great, bonnet and all.

w this one,  nearly contacted him myself.  Went for a different one on eBay and paypalled the guy his deposit using my credit card.  That was just in case things went Pete Tong - seemed the best thing to do.  Fella was great and actually delivered the car to my door for free! Loving ownership so far.

Yes either a debit or credit card makes you/anyone safe, I mean your dealing with complete strangers, heavens forbid, you might be dealing with someone diagnosed as completely insane.

Yes your right,you can pay through paypal but, if it's a payment to friends or family then there is no charge to them or you, but, if its a payment to a commercial seller the seller has to pay a % at some level, so I think paypal would start to query if large sums started passing to someone, I put a £50 deposit on a car on Sunday via paypal no probs except the other side had to wait 72 hours I think because they seem not to have used paypal much at all & the last time they think was around 2006. I had the same payment problems a few weeks ago with a different item again with private individuals they seem to want to trade on he net without the facilities, the nets been around long enough and those people need to put more effort into learning using it when trying to get a buyer (xxxx number of miles away) who cannot pay them because they have no facilities.