Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Confused with IS-F pricing

Good morning all,

As you might know if you came across my thread in the New Members Area, I am currently looking for an IS-F. Preferably a 2010+ one. I've seen two cars already and I'm pretty happy with the model. However I am very, very confused when it comes to pricing.

See, the cheapest post-2010 IS-F for sale in the country has been on sale since June 2017. Last June ! Most others have been for sale since October, including cars known on this forum and sold by Lexus dealers. Now I understand this is not a Fiesta and that the market is different. However, can somebody tell me of any fast sale of an IS-F recently?

I've spent quite a lot of time on this forum and I noticed that quite a few of you moved from an IS-F to an RC-F or GS-F (I'm really jealous guys). I've seen on Autotrader RC-Fs for 33k and GS-Fs for 38k (for a 2016 car with 8000 miles !). Considering this, is 23 to 28k a reasonable asking price for a 2010 IS-F?

Given the depreciation of the GS-F, I would be considering myself getting one in 12 to 24 months, hence my questioning about residual value.

I am not by any means underestimating the qualities of the IS-F. However, I can be quite patient and I am not confident that prices will not drop soon, considering there are cars for sale and I can't see many buyers.

I appreciate most of you own an F and might no like to talk depreciation. Still I'll take that risk. What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

For what it's worth here's my view as a former owner who sold an ISF (2008) last year.

Firstly let me say that the ISF is an amazing car so no question about it, buy one!

There is a real contradiction where the ISF is concerned. Awesomeness of the car, scarcity of numbers, general excellent condition of the vehicles remaining (mostly enthusiast owned) and amazing reliability. They are just some of the pluses.

But those same pluses mean that owners expect to get a premium price when they sell. Hence why most are over priced in my opinion.

I sold my 2008 immaculate ISF with 40k miles for £18000. I wasn't bombarded with interest but the guy who bought it, like you, had been looking for a while and was blown away by my cars condition.

In summary I believe all owners know how good and rare the better examples are and as such want top dollar. I am seeing the prices stabilise and if anything rising. As such, investing in a decent 2008 to 2010 for anything up to £18k to £19k is a good investment and I don't think you'd lose a lot in depreciation.

Hope my thoughts help and obviously it's only my, previous owner, experience. We all have an opinion and for the record, if I could buy my old one back id do so it in a heartbeat.

• Like 4

One thing is for sure, RC-F and GS-F prices will fall faster than IS-F prices.

I'm not going to persuade you either way. You have to drive all three cars and see what fits.

A mate of mine who is thinking of a jump to an RC-F from an IS-F asked me "Is it worth the extra £20k?". Same answer - drive them and see.

Good luck whatever you decide. The IS-F is a great car.

• Like 3

All cars depreciate faster when they are newer. It was a few years ago when I bought and sold my ISF and I lost £12k. Same as todays £38k GSF I would imagine. When they get to a certain price bracket a lot more people can afford them so the prices stabilise due to demand.   

• Like 1

As there's such a niche market for these cars many owners part ex their ISF's when it's time to move on. The dealers then add on a huge premium and are prepared to hold on and play the long game, in most cases. The best buys are private sales, with peace of mind of the Lexus warranty but these are rare to find. As soon as it's in the hands of the dealer, you can be sure of a 20%+ premium. 

• Like 3

Worth remembering that a car's value is also determined by condition. 

Some of these are absolute dogs with lots of bodywork issues.

There's probably a reason why the 2010 IS-F you mentioned being the cheapest, is the cheapest and has not been snapped up yet

It's mostly because people looking for an IS-F know what to look out for and are usually car enthusiasts - hence, if they spot something odd, like most car enthusiasts, they'll give it a miss. 

• Like 2

I agree with the point that Rayaans makes, I have bought and sold two ISFs privately, both were high mileage but both were in very good condition and with full service history, under my ownership the mileage increased but the service history was maintained and in one case the warranty was added, the average purchase price I paid for the two cars was around the £15k mark and the average selling price was around the £14k mark so over about three years I lost about £2k. During the same period I have a friend who has owned a RR Sport and an S class Merc. - both second hand and both obviously newer than the ISF but in the same period I lost £2k he has lost £30k. You will know when you find the right car at the right price, until then,  patience is your friend.

• Like 2

Agree with what everyone has said, get what you pay for I believe.

Not many about, some are really nasty unloved examples with little or no service history (missed services, no recalls done, budget tires fitted).

If these ever get the notice they deserve, prices will only go up. As we have been saying, the IS-F was the first true performance model from Lexus, pre-dating the legendary LF-A, and more recently the RC-F and GS-F. 

If you want a good one, you’ll need a good amount of money. If you don’t mind a gamble given the strong reliability record (just remember this is only true if the car in question is serviced properly, allowed time to warm up before being driven hard etc), cheap examples are out there.

Some higher mileage cars are also fine, just get them checked over thoroughly and make sure there’s at least one service per year or every 10k miles.

Best of luck. :thumbs_up:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Warrington guy said:

Blista. What’s your budget? And colour preference 

I was initially thinking of spending 20k. Now... this thread is meant to help me reconsider the budget or hold fire.

Ultrasonic Blue is my favourite but I don't hate any colour.

I can only agree with all the above, they are a fantastic car ALL of them, I bought my ISF nearly 3 years ago, she’s a 2008-58 with 49k, now 57k, I got mine from Lexus Coventry. I personally wouldn’t accept anything under 18k if I was to sell, most would possibly see this as an over priced car, but I don’t think I could replace her for that and would rather keep her. Lexus Liverpool will have the Rats car up for sale soon if not already on the forecourt, his was a 2009 car with late 40k mileage I think, whatever u choose like others have said “drive them all”.....the slow sale is still by others that view the M and AMG cars as a better option, this from personal experience ISN’T the case, an M3 with a “typical” vanos issue, an AMG that Mercedes-Benz couldn’t fix (full refund) I’m now on my 4th Lexus and wouldn’t consider another manufacturer, 

good luck with your quest

• Like 1

That's a healthy budget. I think you also have a sensible approach with the colour, I had no preference and fell 'lucky' with first one which was white and didn't really want a silver one which I got next but I bought on condition and to be honest they look great in all colours and the silver grew on me really quickly. I too would have preferred a newer one as my first was 09 and my second 08 but again I wouldn't get too hung up on the year either. I will be back for third time lucky at some point in the not too distant future and I know it's easy to say but knowing what I know now, I am confident I will find the right one regardless of age/colour/mileage. For me, it's probably the vibe I get from the owner that's most important, both mine were private buys and both previous owners were great - very trustworthy and had integrity, hopefully the people that subsequently bought them from me would say the same.

• Like 1

I can only agree with all the above, they are a fantastic car ALL of them, I bought my ISF nearly 3 years ago, she’s a 2008-58 with 49k, now 57k, I got mine from Lexus Coventry. I personally wouldn’t accept anything under 18k if I was to sell, most would possibly see this as an over priced car, but I don’t think I could replace her for that and would rather keep her. Lexus Liverpool will have the Rats car up for sale soon if not already on the forecourt, his was a 2009 car with late 40k mileage I think, whatever u choose like others have said “drive them all”.....the slow sale is still by others that view the M and AMG cars as a better option, this from personal experience ISN’T the case, an M3 with a “typical” vanos issue, an AMG that Mercedes-Benz couldn’t fix (full refund) I’m now on my 4th Lexus and wouldn’t consider another manufacturer, 
good luck with your quest

8k in 3 years! I do that in 3 months

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

Hi

17 hours ago, emjay82 said:

As there's such a niche market for these cars many owners part ex their ISF's when it's time to move on. The dealers then add on a huge premium and are prepared to hold on and play the long game, in most cases. The best buys are private sales, with peace of mind of the Lexus warranty but these are rare to find. As soon as it's in the hands of the dealer, you can be sure of a 20%+ premium. 

Couldn't agree more. I'd suggest waiting for a forum member to put theirs up for sale. Play the long game if you want a good deal. 

Mine has done 110k miles now and still drives like a dream 😊

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rusty Crobar said:

Hi

Couldn't agree more. I'd suggest waiting for a forum member to put theirs up for sale. Play the long game if you want a good deal. 

Mine has done 110k miles now and still drives like a dream 😊

Agree.

If you do go down the ISF route is definitely go for the face lift variety. IMHO they will hold their value so much better. Also try and get one with a decent exhaust already fitted (and also ideally supplied with the original one as well)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stevet said:

8k in 3 years! I do that in 3 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I know 😳.......house extension started a month after purchase, my bike has a grand total of 165 miles on it, purchased in 09/16......the build is coming to an end, so a few miles to be put on both this year 😂

50 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Agree.

If you do go down the ISF route is definitely go for the face lift variety. IMHO they will hold their value so much better. Also try and get one with a decent exhaust already fitted (and also ideally supplied with the original one as well)

51 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Agree.

I agree with all this. Twice.

18 minutes ago, Mark G said:

There is a nice ultrasonic Blue one for sale at Lexus Cheltenham I believe, facelift model, aftermarket exhaust, and original, very nice car apparently............

And also an ex-owner car - wonder who's it was...... :w00t:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rusty Crobar said:

Would that be the same stunning car that featured in Modern classics magazine? 😁

It would be the very same one, if you could up your budget a little @Blista you could do worse than take a look at this car, 45k full Lexus history, brand new set of Bridgestones just before I sold it and as I said it is the superfast Blue model.........................

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links