Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why don't we get the IS350, does lexus hate the u.k?

tom price esq.

Why don't we get the IS350? The GS450h has the same engine but with a hybrid motor, what gives? Does japan think we suck (we didn't do what the Americans did in ww2 and yet they get all the best engine lineups), is it to do with emissions? 

The engine is a relation to the ones used in the GS and RX 450h cars but there are quite a few differences. Ultimately it is a decision by Lexus GB or Lexus Europe not to bring it to the UK, based on predicted sales vs cost to bringing it to market. Emissions isn't an issue, although the cost of having the emissions certified would be part of the cost to market.

10 minutes ago, stevet said:

They did try with the MK1 IS when bringing in the IS300 but not many sold.

But that is only partially an issue, because IS300 was rather under-powered car for the engine displacement, fuel consumption etc. Whereas XX350 is rather good mid-range sport car, fast enough for most - yet have no sports car related expenses like IS-F, RC-F etc.

I tend to believe that Lexus EU/GB considers themselves being niche player (which they are in EU) and they don't want to further divide they niche market e.g. RC350 would be competing with nothing else, but RC-F. At the same time they consider British to have buying power to go straight into buying "F-marque".. so basically they left us with though choice - either got "F" or go home.

They already struggling to shift RC-F and is we would have had RC350 as an option they would have literally sold none of RC-F's and none of RC200t's. At the same time I guess that applies to IS350 - obviously competition with IS-F is no longer relevant, but it is probably binary either bring both RC350 and IS350 or neither, so they decided no to have RC350 and at the same time there will be no IS350.

That is sad, because I think with such thinking they will stay niche players forever. Now basically the only sensible choice in the rage are XX300h variants which in my personal opinion are not great regardless of which they you look at.

Great Post Linas. Until a few months ago, I hadn't appreciated how much of a beast the 350's are, in reality for most people they are only slighty off from a full F. IS350 most US sites had tested 0-60's at sub 5 secs, I think the offical stats are much higher. So the full is unlikely to have sold as well. Currently a fresh import for a 2006-7 IS350 is around £9k, probably not helped by the exchanged rates.

• 5 years later...

Can anyone recommend a Japanese vehicle importer into the UK ? I'm looking to buy a Lexus is350 fsport from Japan and import into the UK. I have tried several importers by email and phone but nobody returns my enquiries ! I'm a serious buyer and this is the car I want. I currently own a is250 f sport which is my second Lexus so I'm sold on the product. I wish Lexus had imported the IS 350 into the UK !!

I dont know why Japanese manufacturers dont allow special orders in the UK for any model they make even if they dont intend to stock any in UK dealerships mainly because Japan is RHD. Most recently Nissan decided not to sell the 400z in the UK & Europe. There was talk that Toyota wouldnt sell the GR86 in the UK but it did in the end. 

No doubt the most likely answer to why we dont get X car in the UK, is emissions of the engine or safety regulations. Having to make specific changes just for a tiny market isnt worth it. 

1 hour ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

Most recently Nissan decided not to sell the 400z in the UK & Europe. There was talk that Toyota wouldnt sell the GR86 in the UK but it did in the end. 

Only until next year, then it'll be discontinued. The Corolla GR is another car that Europe won't be getting.

In the case of the GR86. Toyota has stated that emissions aren't the reason why it will no longer be available. Instead, it's down to new (GSR2) safety regulations that all new cars sold in Europe after 2024 have to adhere to.

The article mentions that complying with the regulations, along with being cost-prohibitive, would destroy the dynamic character of an 86...

2 hours ago, Mickqc said:

Can anyone recommend a Japanese vehicle importer into the UK ?

I follow JM Imports on Facebook. They seem like a very reputable organisation.

4 hours ago, Mickqc said:

Can anyone recommend a Japanese vehicle importer into the UK ? I'm looking to buy a Lexus is350 fsport from Japan and import into the UK. I have tried several importers by email and phone but nobody returns my enquiries ! I'm a serious buyer and this is the car I want. I currently own a is250 f sport which is my second Lexus so I'm sold on the product. I wish Lexus had imported the IS 350 into the UK !!

Have you tried?

https://carfromjapan.com

On 2/16/2018 at 11:06 AM, tom price esq. said:

Why don't we get the IS350? The GS450h has the same engine but with a hybrid motor, what gives? Does japan think we suck (we didn't do what the Americans did in ww2 and yet they get all the best engine lineups), is it to do with emissions? 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that they don't hate us, haven't forgottten what the US did, and that it's purely a commercial decision.

They may think we suck, but they wouldn't be a party of one in that regard though.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Its a double edged sword. The UK is a relatively small market in which lexus doesn't do that well in so they don't care.

What they don't seem to realise is that their poor sales come from the utter lack of mid range engine choices. Anyone wanting a sporty luxury sedan or coupe with some decent performance will go get something like a 3L bmw because the IS hybrid lacks power and the RC-F is a higher end, more expensive pick. 

The 350s are probably the most popular choices in the states and for good reason, they they chose to not sell the best option to us in the UK. 

But if i ever have the money, I'll just import a IS500... or move out from this ****ty country.

12 hours ago, ColdAsahi said:

The UK is a relatively small market in which lexus doesn't do that well in so they don't care.

The UK isn't considered on its own. The European homologation process is too expensive for niche cars across the whole of Europe, outside the halo ones. The 350 engine would need rework for emissions in Europe, the emissions bracket too high (before 2018) and Lexus decided on moving to an all hybrid range - that has been their go to market for a number of years now (again outside the halo vehicles).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links