tom price esq.

Why don't we get the IS350, does lexus hate the u.k?

Why don't we get the IS350? The GS450h has the same engine but with a hybrid motor, what gives? Does japan think we suck (we didn't do what the Americans did in ww2 and yet they get all the best engine lineups), is it to do with emissions? 

The engine is a relation to the ones used in the GS and RX 450h cars but there are quite a few differences. Ultimately it is a decision by Lexus GB or Lexus Europe not to bring it to the UK, based on predicted sales vs cost to bringing it to market. Emissions isn't an issue, although the cost of having the emissions certified would be part of the cost to market.

They did try with the MK1 IS when bringing in the IS300 but not many sold.

10 minutes ago, stevet said:

They did try with the MK1 IS when bringing in the IS300 but not many sold.

But that is only partially an issue, because IS300 was rather under-powered car for the engine displacement, fuel consumption etc. Whereas XX350 is rather good mid-range sport car, fast enough for most - yet have no sports car related expenses like IS-F, RC-F etc.

I tend to believe that Lexus EU/GB considers themselves being niche player (which they are in EU) and they don't want to further divide they niche market e.g. RC350 would be competing with nothing else, but RC-F. At the same time they consider British to have buying power to go straight into buying "F-marque".. so basically they left us with though choice - either got "F" or go home.

They already struggling to shift RC-F and is we would have had RC350 as an option they would have literally sold none of RC-F's and none of RC200t's. At the same time I guess that applies to IS350 - obviously competition with IS-F is no longer relevant, but it is probably binary either bring both RC350 and IS350 or neither, so they decided no to have RC350 and at the same time there will be no IS350.

That is sad, because I think with such thinking they will stay niche players forever. Now basically the only sensible choice in the rage are XX300h variants which in my personal opinion are not great regardless of which they you look at.

Great Post Linas. Until a few months ago, I hadn't appreciated how much of a beast the 350's are, in reality for most people they are only slighty off from a full F. IS350 most US sites had tested 0-60's at sub 5 secs, I think the offical stats are much higher. So the full is unlikely to have sold as well. Currently a fresh import for a 2006-7 IS350 is around £9k, probably not helped by the exchanged rates.