Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi. New(ish) to Lexus ownership

gazza2226

Hello Lexus forum

I purchased an '02 IS200 SE last august to replace an Alfa 147 (great little car). I have really enjoyed the IS so far, really comfy and smooth drive. Great having a sunroof again and the heated seats have been most welcome this winter. First car I've bought for many years that did not require a new thermostat. I did find the oil filter very awkward to replace, prob most awkward I've yet done on any car.

The parcel shelf speaker/head unit replacement guide on here was great to find, Vibe Black Airs fitted with homemade MDF spacers and Sony double din head unit.

The car is currently on 3 wheels and an axle stand for front brake caliper replacement......BUT......I have been stupid enough to lock the key in the boot (Doh!) and tomorrow will be trying the coathanger trick as suggested on here with the help of my neighbour. Wish me luck.

Also found today the nice little plastic trims on the rear end of the sills that have perfectly trapped far more mud than had they not been there. Now removed and wheel arches to be cleaned out.

I'm sure this forum will be just as helpful as previous make forums i have been on and has already been most helpful :)

ttfn

A combination of key only opening of the boot and the car doors auto locking after a few seconds means I'm sure to do it at some point.

Re: the sills. It's something I need to get around to checking. I see you did yours a year or two ago Glyn. I've got the factory body kit which may make it a little trickier but it's just about the only thing that worries me about this car. It's LED a garaged and pampered life up to now and I don't want it to deteriorate in my care.

7 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Re: the sills. It's something I need to get around to checking. I see you did yours a year or two ago Glyn. I've got the factory body kit which may make it a little trickier but it's just about the only thing that worries me about this car. It's led a garaged and pampered life up to now and I don't want it to deteriorate in my care.

I guess the problem with the body kit is it might hide problems as the rot starts within. Some how water gets inside the box section and sits there. I assume this is either water thrown up by the wheels or some tortuous route for rain water, either way I'd hope your pampered example hasn't had too much of either! I've read a few posts on here about drilling a hole and Dynaxing; with apologies for not crediting the OP, ages ago I saved their wise words for my own reference:

"I would recommend ALL IS200 owners rustproof this area, either after welding or for prevention. I drilled two holes in the bottom of the sill about 50cm apart (can be done with the car jacked up and supported), and also used the hole with a rubber plug below the front of the sill. Drill the holes just outside the flange. No point in drilling the other side of the flange as well, because it is the same box section. I used Dynax rust treatment, because it comes in a 750ml jumbo aerosol with a 60cm probe to get into box sections. Dynax came out well in a survey a few years ago, and I have used it a lot on my classic car. The probe makes it much easier to apply than Waxoyl, and the fluid seems to be more effective. While you are at it, lift the spare wheel cover in the boot, remove the rubber plugs in the bottom of the wells behind the rear wheels, and spray the area with Dynax."

• 3 months later...

ok, so finally got round to posting some pics...unfortunately 2 are not of the kind i was intending due a careless incident earlier today. My fault but no-one hurt. Result one rather damaged Lexus. Scraped/dented down whole nearside and bent steering! Would love another but in the short term we'll see. There are 2 near me for sale though.

Off for a couple of beers now.

lexus1.JPG

lexus2.JPG

lexus3.JPG

lexus34.JPG

• Sad 1

Having seen a silver car at my local breakers to provide a door and wing i think i may try to fix this. Upon closer inspection only door and wing dented. Just need to get someone to assess what is damaged with the steering and what requires replacing. "GJ02" may return to the road?? The Alfa GTV in the 2nd pic is my other car...also 6 cylinder 🙂

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links