Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Battery refit procedure?

Gents

have had to remove the Battery to recharge due to a lack of use over the past 2 months

Is there a procedure i need to follow when refitting?  Thought i read somewhere i’d need to leave the key in the ignition for it to be recognised to disarm the immobiliser, or something similar.

TIA

Shirish

33 minutes ago, cornershop said:

Also is 12.85v enough to start a car? Will find out in a shortly

Yep, if I remember correctly 12.7 or above indicates a full charge. When the engine is running and the alternator is producing output the voltage should be something like 13.7 to 14.7.

• Thanks 1

Ensure Battery is the correct way around! Reattach positive first then negative to avoid possibility of a short circuit. 

Insert key and check to see if the security light is still on.

If the security light does remain on this is where I always initially forget the next procedure......but I think it is to remove the key then lock the driver’s door with the key then unlock it again with the key then reinsert the key into the ignition when the security light should then extinguish.

I had to recharge my Battery last week due to lack of use, the voltage had dropped to 10.8V and there was insufficient current to crank the engine over...a day of smart charging appears to have done the trick with 11.8 idle and 13.8 engine running.

I have useful digital voltmeter which plugs into the front ashtray cigar lighter socket to monitor the Battery condition available from the likes of amazon for a few pounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never bothered with any of that on my 99 model, and was unaware there is a procedure. I usually disconnect my Battery to charge it, and the only issue I get when I reconnect is the check VSC message coming on. It usually disappears when the car's been restated a couple of times

• Like 1

Thanks all - got it started after 30 mins on the ctek which took it up to 12.85.  Only just though!! It was just about to die again after first couple of turns but it caught at the last moment.  Have just stopped at a services after 2hrs on the motorway, hopefully it starts.

Have bought my portable lithium ion jump starter along (fits in glovebox); this has rescued me previously with batteries down to 3v, but it couldn’t help this morning. Will leave it on the ctek overnight.

didnt have to do anything different once Battery was back in.

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I had to recharge my battery last week due to lack of use, the voltage had dropped to 10.8V and there was insufficient current to crank the engine over...a day of smart charging appears to have done the trick with 11.8 idle and 13.8 engine running.

Sadly, those readings mean nothing if the engine was running because you're only seeing the voltage that the alternator is outputting, not the Battery standing voltage. Check the Battery standing voltage and compare to this chart:

EDIT: just re-read your post and I think you meant 11.8V standing voltage. When I saw the word "idle" I just assumed that the engine was idling, but then you qualified it by saying 13.8 with engine running - my day can only get better from here :whistling:

Car-Battery-Voltage-Chart.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links