Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sublime journey in Mk4 LS400

Having fitted new front discs, pads and having completed an oil change, and...sorting tyre pressures-I drove to Cardiff via Stroud from Reading.

There was no shimmy from the front wheels and I kept up with and in front of the flash driver’s both ways.

I still need to sort the lower track bar bushes and probably the lower ball joints. 

I also have to replace 2 tyres.

Most motorists have to pay for extended warranties now because of repair costs. Cars ain’t cheap whatever marque they are.

It certainly helps doing some of the work myself but sourcing parts is valuable too.

• Like 3

I'm thinking the gearbox mount will be quite inexpensive from a Lexus/Toyota main dealer spares dept .....  and good coffee and bikkies while you're being served

Malc

You're right about costs - I've never found a cheap way of running a reliable car - either replace it when the warranty runs out or spend lots on maintenance, I like the second approach as I get attached to a good car ( and the LS is the BEST car).

Buying an old banger until it's MOT runs out is fun when you're 20, but now I want to know I'll get to my destination without oily hands. 

• Like 2

On 19/02/2018 at 12:16 PM, cruisermark said:

What are the symptoms when these wear out?

Comes down to how you  want to run an old car. For me, worn out for a lot of suspension and steering components on a heavy car like the LS400 starts at about 60,000 miles. I know a lot of people will will say that there is years of life left in them and as long as they pass MOTs they will be fine, and that is fair enough. I didn't like the slack in the LS400 steering around centre position and wanted more road feel, so I installed poly bushes on the steering rack. High speed cruising is a lot more relaxaing with far fewer minute adjustments needed. The old steering rack bushes were serviceable, would pass countless MOTs but were past their prime and the rubber had started to deteriorate (car was at 67,000 miles.) With suspension and steering on any old car I start a program of refreshing components as I like to get as close to how it felt from the factory as possible, but that's just me and I've probably thrown away serviceable components in the past.

• Like 3

Now try going the length of Spain, from Santander to Sanlucar de Barrameda.....or even start at St Malo.

You're right about maintenance, Phil. These are heavy cars, and power assistance hides the forces taken to steer them, plus.....those wheels alone are heavy! All need supporting on litle bits of washers!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Newbie1 said:

With suspension and steering on any old car I start a program of refreshing components

Totally agree that a refresh will make a difference, would be ineresting to drive your car, and then get in mine (184000 miles) just to get to know what the difference is, have had various parts renewed, but still some original stuff kicking around.

I know from in the past whenever I have had cars from new (not so these days), at around 80K+ the steering was always less relaxing at motorway speeds, and as we know the LS is a heavy old thing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

Now try going the length of Spain

I did this in my aged Ls400, about 5/6k miles a couple of years ago, then followed by a similar stretch to Italy .... and my being so used to the car over very many years and not noticing any changes to the " comfort " level at all  .....................  then up in the Dolomites on my Italian Grand Tour I heard a distinct but shallow " drop " sound ...  but nothing discernible in the driving or comfort at all and certainly nothing visible at all ............  it transpired to be the near side upper control arm that had " gone " and it failed the MOT on that a couple of months later .................  did the repair/replacement and tbh, it didn't feel at all different for the renewal ....... and doesn't even now and that's some 30k miles since.

I'm not at all sure one ( well, me anyway ) can discern benefit from piecemeal replacement of worn components.

Malc