Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexi Lou II - 2006 IS250 SE-L Brechin Slate

LennyLexus

Hello,

Welcome to my build thread for my second Lexus, it's about saying NO to a car payment and the day to day running and maintaining of my standard 2006 IS250 SEL (Brechin Slate/Breakwater Blue). I will update this post in chronological order.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfVkH6lH2qG/?taken-by=lexuslenny

March 2016

Picked up from Nottingham, 83k on the clock, full Lexus Service to Jan-14 (63k), i.e it was overdue a minor service by 10k and 14 months, risk and gamble I took, reflected in the service.

A 3-year service plan was ordered from Lexus Birmingham at a significant discount for 100k (10 years), 110k and 120k services.

100k service was carried out as a priority, including the coolant flush, engine flush, fuel flush, diff oil, brake fluid.

I will later dig out the advisory notes from the service.

October 2016

Occasional P0420 errors (Catalyst efficiency) starting showing, didn't think anything of it, as this was showing when MPG was really high, 38+ on long motorway runs.

November 2016

Can't remember was the previous brand of front tyres were, however they got to the point where they needed reinflating every other day. I had these replaced with Avons.

February 2017

Just scrapped through the MOT on emissions due to a split in the centre exhaust. Checking the MOT history, this was also a problem the year before (just before I bought it). The exhaust was patched up for £20. P0420 errors disappeared and exhaust was silent.

April 2017

Minor Service at Lexus Birmingham and Fuel Gasket repair recall work performed.

Exhaust repair flopped, and was repaired at Independent for £30.

P0171 and P0174 started developing, Lexus said it was due to the holes in the exhaust.

September 2017

Really fed up with the poor handling performance/safety, explored proper wheel alignment, uprated shocks, springs, bushes, arbs. Hand the car professionally checked over by a local racing driver and custom car builder. He confirmed everything was fine except the excuse of tyres on the back (Landsails - PLEASE AVOID -no idea what these were made off, 15k/30months later and still thread was like new). These were replaced with Goodyear Eagle (highest rating vs total number of mileages driven and best value), handling has been amazing since (except cold days).

October 2017

Front Brake overhaul - Frenchtech Slide Pin Kit, brembo Pads, MTEC grooved and dimpled discs. Stopping power was amazing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfVcJpMHoSp/?taken-by=lexuslenny

December 2017

Karbon Klean performed their top of the range package (half price x-mas offer at £49.99). I hoped this resolve the Lean Code issues, no luck, and the not much seemed to be cleaned (as I used BP fuel and Acrhoil AR6900PMax almost every fill).

January 2018

Annual mileage due to go from 8k to 16k a year for work. So a few issues need long-term resolution mainly the Exhaust patches and Lean Error Codes.

Exhaust - shopped around for SS OEM sounding replacements, didn't really want to go with a mild steel replacement that only came with a 1 or 2 warranty, and I certainly didn't want to get an OEM system for £3-4k again with no significant warranty.

Price ranges in the Midlands were between £650-£1500. In the end I went LongLife Birmingham as they promised they go a lifetime warranty on a partial SS repair £150.

Committed to keeping the car - "LX5* ***" number plate fitted.

I was ready to purchase O2 sensors for P0171 and P0174 errors, the sensors were tested at Tiburon Auto/LongLife and confirmed to be working without issues (£400+ in parts saved),

February 2018

P0171 and P0174 errors fixed at Tiburon, turned out to be a loose breather pipe (bargain price of £30 for 30mins diagnostics and repair)

New wipers fitted (Bosch Super Flats, the passenger had gotten damaged due to ice and I didn't like the mismatched look).

MOT passed with NO Advisories and flying colours on the emissions test.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfShLhlnHWi/?taken-by=lexuslenny

• Like 1