Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In the recent wet weather I've noticed how quickly the rear of my GS gets dirty. I'm surprised that Norfolk need to have road sweepers there is so much dirt accumulated on the back of the car. A particular irritation is that the boot release switch outside on the boot of my model gets very grubby and transfers the muck onto my finger when I operate it - especially when I use the same finger to adjust my white bow tie :wink3:. I'm well aware that I could use the button inside the car or the button on the key fob (which sometimes does the job by itself when I don't want it to) but I've got used to the keyless opening and ignition and I'm getting terribly lazy in my old age and I'd much rather just leave the key in my pocket. And yes I ought to clean the car more often but the button can get filthy after just one journey.

I've noticed that some marques are now being made with a foot activated boot opener (just make a kicking motion under the bumper) and this would seem to be just the job. I've had a look on the internet and they do appear to be available from China through Alibaba but I thought I'd ask you guys and gals before I risk investing the equivalent of about $40 plus P&P -  if I can in fact order a single kit. It appears that they are available with their own proximity key fob which I wouldn't need. 

I'd appreciate any observations or advice from forum members.

Barry

I've seen quite a few reviews of cars with these fitted as standard by the manufacturer and the reviewers tend to find them unreliable. They often need a few kicks in the right way in just the right place to work and it looks like they might quickly become frustrating. Whilst car manufacturers don't always fit the best quality parts, I'd struggle to believe a cheap Chinese version is likely to be any better. It's possible that the technology is just not good enough yet.

I completely agree about the amount of dirt that the rear of the car collects though. I think the key fob is the best solution at the moment.

With the risk of being sexist, this thread makes you sound rather womanly....

Us blokes love getting our hands dirty

On a more useful note, perhaps use another finger? Preferably not the one you adjust your bow tie with

• Sad 1

Yes, Keith, you may be right although from the reports I read there seems to be a knack to it involving a kick under the bumper and back. I've made an enquiry with one of the Alibaba suppliers but it looks like the $40 might be the price per kit if I were to order 500,000 kits a month. Any interest Forum members - we may be able to put in a bid for two minutes worth?

No Rayaans, not sexist, possibly rude, but not sexist. I'm happily at one with my female side but all man despite that. I get no joy out of getting dirty unlike "you blokes" but I'm happy as a sandboy taking an engine to bits just as I am taking an attractive woman out for a drive in a car, the ivory upholstery of which is not smeared by grubby fingerprints. But each to his own.

• Haha 1

I don't use the boot very often and I have some kind of a mental block in remembering where the button actually is, so I end up running my hand up and down underneath the bootlid for a minute before giving up and opening the door to use the interior release. As my car only gets washed twice a year when it goes in for a service, I usually end up with a fair bit of grime on the fingers. Happily, as I have the boring-but-practical black interior, I can just wipe them clean on the leather and nobody'll notice the grime.

I would therefore be disinclined to pay $40 to solve this particular problem, especially not if the solution involves wiring in some dodgy Chinese electronic gubbins that would doubtless trigger incorrectly at some point and flip the boot open at 70mph. However, others may see the value in such a device. Either way, good luck in your quest to keep your neckwear in pristine condition.

• Haha 1

On 18/02/2018 at 5:34 PM, Lexus4Me? said:

Yes, Keith, you may be right although from the reports I read there seems to be a knack to it involving a kick under the bumper and back. I've made an enquiry with one of the Alibaba suppliers but it looks like the $40 might be the price per kit if I were to order 500,000 kits a month. Any interest Forum members - we may be able to put in a bid for two minutes worth?

No Rayaans, not sexist, possibly rude, but not sexist. I'm happily at one with my female side but all man despite that. I get no joy out of getting dirty unlike "you blokes" but I'm happy as a sandboy taking an engine to bits just as I am taking an attractive woman out for a drive in a car, the ivory upholstery of which is not smeared by grubby fingerprints. But each to his own.

Ah you're missing out on the good life I suppose.

Luckily my fingers don't get too dirty as I tend to use the touchless badge on the RX to open the boot so the red leather remains grub free.

However, always handy keeping a stash of baby wipes in the boot for those odd occasions where you have to deal with the chore of pressing a filthy button.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...