Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• 2 years later...

Has anyone had this done on a LS430 ? My vehicle is a 2003 '53' vehicle with 78k miles on the clock

It still drives very well but I wasn't sure whether this sort of treatment would be beneficial or not ?

It would be great to hear from any other Lexus LS owners who have had this done to their vehicles

On 9/19/2020 at 7:51 PM, Lager shandy said:

Just imagine the old medicine salesman selling exliiar to cure all woes in old western movies and you have your answer 

Thanks for your reply but I'm trying to do some serious fact-finding - if you haven't had direct experience of getting this done to your vehicle, then your view isn't relevant for me

9 hours ago, n4chv said:

Thanks for your reply but I'm trying to do some serious fact-finding - if you haven't had direct experience of getting this done to your vehicle, then your view isn't relevant for me

I remember a motoring program (think it was 5th Gear) that took an old car to a rolling road to test the power out put as it was then started to change a few thinks, mostly ones that would be done during a service ie oil, air filters, spark plugs, HT leads etc.

All gave an increase in the power output to gradually get closer to the original output when new.

One they did was to put one of these cleaning products into the fuel tank (think it was Reddex) and that also helped with a power increase after it had cleared some of the carbon build up.

I think... nobody truly knows.

Even 'scientific evidence' can be manipulated/interpreted differently/be subject to other influences.

The only thing that might be 'stable', will be the cost.

But the benefit?

On 9/19/2020 at 7:51 PM, Lager shandy said:

Just imagine the old medicine salesman selling exliiar to cure all woes in old western movies and you have your answer 

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/358123-terraclean-huge-problems-monte-carlo-tdi/ 

• Like 1

Manufacturers have largely come out against the 'pour in' treatments saying that modern oils and regular filter changes mean these should not be necessary but nevertheless although minimized, there will still be some build up of carbon.  In fact this has been a problem with some BMW (and other) diesel engines fitted with swirl flaps.  These have become so coked up that they have been ingested and caused considerable damage to engines, so much so that aftermarket blanking plugs can be bought to prevent the damage but there is still a build up of coke. The Terraclean treatment seems to be different but whether this works better needs to be established by an independent body following extensive evaluation.  With respect, I suggest the subjective views of a very few members who may have tried this treatment will not be conclusive.   If independent tests showed it did all that was claimed and manufacturers approved it's use it might be worthwhile considering.  

• Like 1

About 12 years ago, in a weak moment I bought a highly advertised product called 'Cataclean',  which made all sorts of claims including vastly improved engine efficiency but it made no difference for me.  Maybe it is of more benefit where engines have been neglected.  (I see it is still being sold with some people on Utube saying it made significant improvements whilst others say it did nothing.)  I gave a bottle or two to a friend who owns a garage and he tried it to measure improvements but couldn't find any.  However, he advocated a product called 'Forte'.  This seems to have since been developed into a machine dispensed procedure, and looks rather more like 'Terraclean'. 

And no, unless and until an independently validated product is advertised, and I definitely need it, I prefer to spent my hard earned on servicing to a good standard.  

• Like 1