Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC-F GS-F Shift lag and pump recall

So tied together these 2 items:

https://www.aboutautomobile.com/Technical-Service-Bulletin/2016/Lexus/RC-F/Fuel-Pump

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-f-2015-present/833438-get-your-rcf-ecu-flashed.html

Seems like not flashing unless they hear a noise? Can the first people with pump replacements see/ask about this?

Be handy to build evidence to help pressure a reluctant dealer to also do it?

Unless someone has other information to over-ride this older info?

Interesting. First time I've heard about any "lag" issues. Has anyone experienced this over here in the UK?
Looks like an old (2016) problem for which they issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) to fix with a re-flash.

• Like 1

They won't do it as a matter of course though, so if you don't complain or don't have the issue they won't do the re-flash.

I'm not fully convinced it's the low pressure pump rather than transmission but with anecdotal evidence suggesting the flash fixed the hesitation then have to accept it until experience otherwise.

My dealer has agreed to look into it. The master tech is going to read through and they said if it looks ok they will try the re-flash when I have my pumps done.

Pumps are now apparently on a wait list. Mine due in 10th March.

On 19/02/2018 at 10:31 AM, Comedian said:

So tied together these 2 items:

https://www.aboutautomobile.com/Technical-Service-Bulletin/2016/Lexus/RC-F/Fuel-Pump

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-f-2015-present/833438-get-your-rcf-ecu-flashed.html

Seems like not flashing unless they hear a noise? Can the first people with pump replacements see/ask about this?

Be handy to build evidence to help pressure a reluctant dealer to also do it?

Unless someone has other information to over-ride this older info?

Yep I get the lag when accelerating hard.  It doesn't happened all the time and difficult to replicate.  Seems to happen most after a period of gentle throttle and then flooring it but only sometimes.  Happens in all drive modes.  I've read both the topics in your link & I've not heard of any UK cars with the full pump whine or failure and I I cant figure out if its just the engine and gearbox sorting themselves out or something else.

The general consensus in the states appears to be that after the re flash the issue is lessened or fixed.

Mines going in for its service & MOT at the beginning of March so i've emailed them about the TSB and to see if they can do the recall on the fuel pump as the same time.

• Like 1

I agree with the last post on the CL thread - the ECU is probably being reset which is why it is feeling different. Possibly no different than disconnecting power to the ECU for 30 seconds.

I'm not seeing a TSB that relates to the fuel pumps on www.lexus-tech.eu    If there isn't a TSB for Europe there isn't much a UK dealer can do.

• Like 1

I agree with the last post on the CL thread - the ECU is probably being reset which is why it is feeling different. Possibly no different than disconnecting power to the ECU for 30 seconds.
I'm not seeing a TSB that relates to the fuel pumps on www.lexus-tech.eu    If there isn't a TSB for Europe there isn't much a UK dealer can do.
So you think it might be worth pulling neg for a minute and trying again?

Will have to learn how to set the dab radio up then :D

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

So you think it might be worth pulling neg for a minute and trying again?

Will have to learn how to set the dab radio up then :D

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Might be worth a go. I think you can pull the EFI Main 25A and ETCS 10A fuses to remove power from the engine and transmission ECUs if you don't want to disconnect the Battery.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/22/2021 at 10:25 PM, Zakku said:

Ho all.

Gents, what the resolution? Where did u get them done? What's the outcome?

Not sure it affected UK vehicles. There have been a couple of member that had a noisy low pressure fuel pump replaced under warranty. If you are out of warranty then you would have to pay for a new part as there is no recall on this. Any new firmware would be chargeable by a dealer, they don't tend to update be default during a service, only to fix owner issues.

This thread also mentions the the high pressure fuel pumps which were recalled. Everyone should have had that done by now, but you can check here:

https://forms.toyota.co.uk/recall-checker?lexus=true