Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk4 LS400 won't rev past 5k

20 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

What sort of speed would one be doing on a trip when "red lining" it ?

it depends what gear its in.

2 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

I don't think I have ever red lined either of My 400s ,in any gear the car would be breaking the speed limit.

no, it wouldn't.

28 minutes ago, Dale_V said:

no, it wouldn't.

I don't think I have ever red lined either of My 400s ,in any gear the car would be breaking the speed limit.I can,t agree with you as the car is an automatic by the time you have redlined the tacho in normal gear increments in any gear you will have gone past 70mph.

The ls400 is well capable of 70mph in 2nd gear and is only doing 1950 rpm in top at 70mph or are you just revving it up at the lights when a boy racer turns up.

4 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

I don't think I have ever red lined either of My 400s ,in any gear the car would be breaking the speed limit.I can,t agree with you as the car is an automatic by the time you have redlined the tacho in normal gear increments in any gear you will have gone past 70mph.

The ls400 is well capable of 70mph in 2nd gear and is only doing 1950 rpm in top or are you just revving it up at the lights when a boy racer turns up.

So you're saying a ls400 can do 71mph in 1st gear?

NO it cant, so in reply to "in any gear the car would be breaking the speed limit." NO it wouldn't.

Its very basic stuff, hardly rocket science.

also the ls400 is not capable of hitting 70mph in 2nd gear. So that's 2 gears ruled out completely

1 minute ago, Dale_V said:

So you're saying a ls400 can do 71mph in 1st gear?

NO it cant, so in reply to "in any gear the car would be breaking the speed limit." NO it wouldn't.

Its very basic stuff, hardly rocket science.

You are not being practical The first gear slot is for special circumstances ,why would you redline a tacho when trying to drive slowly.Rocket science by the way is pretty straight forward.

Just now, ambermarine said:

You are not being practical The first gear slot is for special circumstances ,why would you redline a tacho when trying to drive slowly.Rocket science by the way is pretty straight forward.

were back to the basics again, Clearly if you wanted to drive slowly, you wouldn't be redlining

not my video, plenty on youtube

apx 44mph in 1st gear, 66 in 2nd gear

both well under the speed limit of UK roads.

Cannot understand your point The Lexus ls400 is a luxury sedan with a 4 litre V8 engine with a uncomplicated drive system that as plenty of torque designed to get you up to a safe speed in the shortest most fuel efficient way possible.

Your video example shows exactly the opposite a tyre screech at the start heavy acceleration burning gallons of fuel and for what to beat that boy racer I mentioned earlier.

The thrust of my reason for not redlining the tacho is that the speed limit is likely to be broken lets agree to disagree.

There literally is no, "lets agree to disagree" in this case.

you stated "in any gear the car would be breaking the speed limit", to which it CLEARLY wouldn't, its not just my opinion that it wouldn't, its a FACT that it wouldn't.

Everyone is different and If you want to drive at a sedate pace, that's fine, that's absolutely great! But if want the ls400 to get a move on by taking advantage of the revs and redlining it, it clearly will do and it WONT breaking the speed limit on UK roads in the first 2 gears. It just wont!

8 minutes ago, Dale_V said:

There literally is no, "lets agree to disagree" in this case.

you stated "in any gear the car would be breaking the speed limit", to which it CLEARLY wouldn't, its not just my opinion that it wouldn't, its a FACT that it wouldn't.

Everyone is different and If you want to drive at a sedate pace, that's fine, that's absolutely great! But if want the ls400 to get a move on by taking advantage of the revs and redlining it, it clearly will do and it WONT breaking the speed limit on UK roads in the first 2 gears. It just wont!

It seems to me that at the revs you suggest, one would be breaking certain UK speed limits AND driving without due care and attention regardless of ANY  UK speed limit.

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

It seems to me that at the revs you suggest, one would be breaking certain UK speed limits AND driving without due care and attention regardless of ANY  UK speed limit.

How do you work that one out?

1st and 2nd gear, both to the redline, youre still not at 70mph, so how are you breaking the speed limit??????????????????? nevermind driving without due care

Only reply if you actually KNOW what youre on about.

1 hour ago, dendonc said:

What does VGC stand for guys? haven't fathomed that one yet

it stands for.... Don't redline your ls400

honest

Come on lads there are more important things going on in all our lives than this ridiculous argument. Any more and it will be locked as its going nowhere other than to end up with bad feelings.

no arguments from me, Im just a sarcastic ###### that likes to rip the @@@@ now and again.... its banter, but I shall keep it zipped now

36 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

Very Good Condition

I think you've misunderstood the VGC I mean, on the photo of the rev & speedo etc  (a few posts above this), where it's lit up with ''range'' etc there  are 2 other things lit up as if something has been activated, one of them is VGC, I have noticed a press switch button on my 1999 LS (Dec reg) which a says VGC, I did not have it on my last 1995 LS or the previous 2 1996 LS's & I don't know what it means.

1 hour ago, dendonc said:

I think you've misunderstood the VGC I mean, on the photo of the rev & speedo etc  (a few posts above this), where it's lit up with ''range'' etc there  are 2 other things lit up as if something has been activated, one of them is VGC, I have noticed a press switch button on my 1999 LS (Dec reg) which a says VGC, I did not have it on my last 1995 LS or the previous 2 1996 LS's & I don't know what it means.

Where is this switch positioned?

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Isn't this VSC rather than VGC?

It might well be, I looked a few times at photo but came out on VGC, but, that might be wrong & the 'stability control' makes sense, thanks........10 mins later, yes I think it is VSC, not vgc, what exactly does it mean that some part of the car does? 

PS

This & other youtube vids make an easy understanding of it

12 hours ago, dendonc said:

It might well be, I looked a few times at photo but came out on VGC, but, that might be wrong & the 'stability control' makes sense, thanks........10 mins later, yes I think it is VSC, not vgc, what exactly does it mean that some part of the car does? 

PS

This & other youtube vids make an easy understanding of it

Basically, if the wheel speed sensors notice that one or both of the rear wheels are rotating quicker than the fronts, then the ECU will cut the power temporarily. If your car begins to oversteer, the VSC will notice the wheels are spinning too quickly and will cut the power to bring the car back in line.  The light went off on those straight line acceleration videos as the LS400 is so torquey that it can spin the back tyres a little on hard acceleration. You can turn it off if you're quite happy with the rear wheels going quicker than the fronts on occasion ;) 

The fault on my car appears to be clearing up.  It went from doing barely any miles to 30 miles a day commuting with me.  I'm almost convinced it's down to the VVT having never been exercised. Oh - and I don't want to bring fuel for the fire; but some of us chose the LS400 due to its legendary quad-cam V8, and enjoy stretching it's legs once in a while (private test track, of course)....I'll be modifying the exhaust a little in mine, nothing too obtrusive, but I'd like to hear those 8 cylinders a bit more :)

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with red lining your engine, I find engines that have been regularly exercised to the red line more performant than those mollycoddled at barely tickover speeds. Stereotyping somewhat but the age groups that own Ls400s are much less likely to do this!

I’ve had 3 or 4 cars on a chassis Dyno, they all feel much smoother and more responsive to drive after a hitting the Rev limiter a few times during the test.

5 hours ago, Daveyboy20 said:

Basically, if the wheel speed sensors notice that one or both of the rear wheels are rotating quicker than the fronts, then the ECU will cut the power temporarily

Yes I got that now, but, from memory, it's not knew either to the LS range or other cars, I seem to remember more or less the same thing being outlined some years ago, though, I have not seen it highlighted on the LS instrument panel before, maybe that element came in after 1996, which was my 'youngest' LS before this '99 one, anyone know if thats the case?