Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2008-2014

7 hours ago, rayaans said:

Urm, the boot shouldnt be swinging up

It just pops and then you have to do it manually. Obviously, don't stick your chin in the way.

There are quite a few people that state this happens. Maybe newer models were revised to do this? Or there is an adjustment to compensate for a spoiler which has been incorrectly set.

i was just surprised at the way the boot opened ,with my gen 2 , it just pops open then you manually lift to the fully open position , however you are pulling against gas struts , with the gen3 as ipulled it just flew open with no resistance , i'm sure i will get used to it , a very minor thing on such a lovely car :smile: .

15 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

There are quite a few people that state this happens. Maybe newer models were revised to do this? Or there is an adjustment to compensate for a spoiler which has been incorrectly set.

Not sure because Ive had 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2017 IS's as loaner vehicles and none of them flung up when you used the key fob or the button. 

I think the thing about the boot lid swinging open quickly is basically Don't Stand So Close To Your Car. My 64 plate premium lifts effortlessly and I've never come close to making chin or head contact with it. Just be careful. 

51 minutes ago, Jules PF said:

Yes, but the fact it does means something is not right. I had a bmw 535d which did the same thing, in that case it was a faulty boot strut not damping the spring. Ours will be similar.

Depends on the car though

Some mercs swing up all the way, as do some BMWs. 

When I got my IS 300h (64 reg) I was initially taken aback by the boot - when I pressed the button on the boot or the key it would pop the lock and as expected not open on it's own - but when I then pushed it up I was surprised by how quick it then opened - I had been used to other cars (BMW being one) where I could push the boot lid up and it would then swing open more slowly. Must admit I soon got used to not just pushing the Lexus boot lid up in the same way as I used to and now tend to control it more as it opens - hadn't really thought about it much until this thread but I can see where the OP is coming from having just got the car and opened the boot for the first time. Some cars seem to have a very dampened opening (like my BMW) and others don't seem to have much (my Lexus and a Mercedes I had on loan a while back).

that's exactly what i was trying to say wharfhouse ,sure i will soon get used to it , i was just surprised in the difference between the gen 2 and gen 3 , will look into it more on thursday when i receive the car , weather permitting .

picked up today , full tank of petrol and the usual warrentys , great smooth drive from hedge end to poole , average 39.7 on the meter , so smooth and effortless drive , thought i couldn't get better than my old is250 but this surpassed it , however no complaints will the old one , served me really well for 4 1/2 years with only tyres, pads and calipers to deal with . Tomorrow will be a day of trying to familiarise myself with the radio and sat nav which seems to be pointing the wrong way at the moment , i'm sure it will all be revealed in the morning with the manuals. Very nice combination of sonic titanium and ivory leather .

• Like 4

Keep the caliper guide pins lubricated and the brakes will not have a problem. The correct grease is essential not copper grease or red rubber,  use a proper guide pin PAG grease like Molykote G3407 specifically designed for caliper guide pins.

Ed:winkiss:

• Like 2

Both my rear brakes have seized, at about 2 years old, within 3 months of each other (2015 model).  However it wasn't the slide pin, corrosion on the pads had seized the pad in the caliper.

I ended up fixing myself as Lexus Birmingham seem to think a squealing caliper that gets red hot after a 10mile drive is "normal".  Or they were too lazy to actually look like I specifically asked when it went for service.  I had to take a hammer to lever bar to get the pads out! 

46 minutes ago, darrude said:

Both my rear brakes have seized, at about 2 years old, within 3 months of each other (2015 model).  However it wasn't the slide pin, corrosion on the pads had seized the pad in the caliper.

I ended up fixing myself as Lexus Birmingham seem to think a squealing caliper that gets red hot after a 10mile drive is "normal".  Or they were too lazy to actually look like I specifically asked when it went for service.  I had to take a hammer to lever bar to get the pads out! 

You need to do some heavy braking every now and then, the rear mechanical brakes hardly get used if you are light on the brakes and let the hybrid system do most of the stopping.

46 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

You need to do some heavy braking every now and then, the rear mechanical brakes hardly get used if you are light on the brakes and let the hybrid system do most of the stopping.

I'd come to that conclusion, 30,000 miles and the pads were pretty much untouched, only really using the car for Monday / Friday airport commutes, parked up the rest of the time, as soon as I changed jobs and started using the car more is when the issues started.  I decided to stop jet washing the alloys as well, not sure if that would have contributed or not.

10 minutes ago, cidersteve said:

i assume the IS250 is a  different braking system to the IS300H i.e discs all round ??

Both the same, it is just that the 300h uses the electric motor for regenarative brakes so the mechanical ones only get engaged if you need more stopping power than the motor can provide on its own. If you don't brake heavily the rear pads hardly get used and corrosion can set in.

• Like 1