Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS is in for a service and MOT today. Asked for them to look at the rear suspension because i could hear a knock at low speeds. Sure enough drivers side rear shock has leaked out all its fluid. Luckily the warranty has come to the rescue again and paid for it. A quoted figure of £449.46, ouch.

So glad we took out a warranty on the car but i don't know if we'll be keeping it after it runs out in July. Probably had £2k worth of work done on the warranty.

12 minutes ago, Z28DUNC said:

i don't know if we'll be keeping it after it runs out in July. 

The GS or the warranty? The GS will be too old now to get warranty cover I'd imagine

8 minutes ago, bobmc said:

The GS or the warranty? The GS will be too old now to get warranty cover I'd imagine

Why do you think that the warranty cover might not be available Bob?

My reading of the warranty document suggests to me that the warranty can continue notwithstanding age or mileage, so long as the warranty was first taken out when age/mileage conditions  were met AND THERE HAS BEEN CONTINUOUS COVER SINCE.

I am sure that others may agree/disagree.

Well I believe that the car must be less than  10 years old and be on less than 140K at the time of the 1st warranty period. If renewal is not a new warranty period then I suppose continuous cover would mean older cars could still be covered.

I wonder if anyone has a car over 12 years old with cover still running?

I would be really surprised if warranty could be renewed for 10+/140km+ car. After all Lexus is not going to to loose money on that business and at some point chances of some serious issues are just to high.

I suppose the simplest answer is to take the cash you would have spent on the warranty and put it aside along with the savings made by not having to pay main dealer servicing rates as a fund for repairs. Then carry on running the GS until repairs are needed, at which point you will have to decide to repair or replace.

Can we get more details please?

Age of car, mileage and dealer since some people on here have been refused warranty cover for shocks because the warranty company determined it was wear and tear.

It might help with some consistence if previous examples of claims could be quoted.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Can we get more details please?

Age of car, mileage and dealer since some people on here have been refused warranty cover for shocks because the warranty company determined it was wear and tear.

It might help with some consistence if previous examples of claims could be quoted.

Thanks.

Shahpor,

What is really needed in addition to your suggestions are, I suggest;

1. Did vehicle have a FLSH from new prior to its purchase by the current owner ?

2. Has vehicle continued to have FLSH since purchase ?

3. What has been the nature of the relationship with the LEXUS DEALER since purchase ?

worries me if ever i come to change my steed .............  now at 203k miles .............  and 15 years with Ls400s

Are the more recent Lexus models of such poor comparative quality that one really has to consider taking an extended warranty ?  Must be having a goddam awful reputation by now !

Malc

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Shahpor,

What is really needed in addition to your suggestions are, I suggest;

1. Did vehicle have a FLSH from new prior to its purchase by the current owner ?

2. Has vehicle continued to have FLSH since purchase ?

3. What has been the nature of the relationship with the LEXUS DEALER since purchase ?

So its a 2007 plate. Took the warranty out in July 2016 at 52k miles. Lexus Birmingham, £1095 for 2 years cover.

It had a fsh but the last stamp when we bought it wasn't main agent. I queried this and Lexus Birmingham inspected the car before the warranty (i'd already had a hybrid check done) to agree the car wasn't in need of anything before agreeing to issue the warranty. 

We've had a service plan with Lexus that finishes next year but if you sell the car you get your unspent money back or can move it to a new plan. You have to have main dealer servicing to have the warranty honoured. 

Apart from a really crap customer service representative a little while ago the service has been very good (hes not there anymore, maybe because I contacted the centre principal about him). As far as the warranty side of things go they've been great. The Aircon has been repaired 3 times, yes 3! First of all it had a bad connection somewhere in the electrical side of the system. Second time a pipe, third time the condenser. A rear caliper was replaced at the last MOT and the rear brake lines. Now the shock.

I usually get a call to say there is something wrong and they are contacting the warranty department to get authorization to fix it but this time with the shock they just phoned to say what the problem was and it was being sorted.

Cars back now with a clean MOT, no advisories. Oh and its washed and hoovered, saves me a job! They come and pick it up and drop it off.

15 minutes ago, Z28DUNC said:

So its a 2007 plate. Took the warranty out in July 2016 at 52k miles. Lexus Birmingham, £1095 for 2 years cover.

It had a fsh but the last stamp when we bought it wasn't main agent. I queried this and Lexus Birmingham inspected the car before the warranty (i'd already had a hybrid check done) to agree the car wasn't in need of anything before agreeing to issue the warranty. 

We've had a service plan with Lexus that finishes next year but if you sell the car you get your unspent money back or can move it to a new plan. You have to have main dealer servicing to have the warranty honoured. 

Apart from a really crap customer service representative a little while ago the service has been very good (hes not there anymore, maybe because I contacted the centre principal about him). As far as the warranty side of things go they've been great. The Aircon has been repaired 3 times, yes 3! First of all it had a bad connection somewhere in the electrical side of the system. Second time a pipe, third time the condenser. A rear caliper was replaced at the last MOT and the rear brake lines. Now the shock.

I usually get a call to say there is something wrong and they are contacting the warranty department to get authorization to fix it but this time with the shock they just phoned to say what the problem was and it was being sorted.

Cars back now with a clean MOT, no advisories. Oh and its washed and hoovered, saves me a job! They come and pick it up and drop it off.

Many thanks Duncan.

From what I can glean from the information you have provided, you and your car fulfill all of the necessary conditions ( as I see them ) for the Warranty to pay out. No wriggle room for the Warranty Administrator or Lexus to occupy. Not many, (if any ) warranties will pay out for an 11 year old car !!

Been a particularly good investment in your case.

Regards

John

2 hours ago, Malc said:

worries me if ever i come to change my steed .............  now at 203k miles .............  and 15 years with Ls400s

Are the more recent Lexus models of such poor comparative quality that one really has to consider taking an extended warranty ?  Must be having a goddam awful reputation by now !

Malc

Hi Malc,

I'm probably the best person to ask then as I've got the LS400 MK3 like yours! What I would say is any newer car these days is like this. Yes you might get lucky and get one that never goes wrong but most cars are going to have problems. Look at the 400. The engine is bullet proof but electronics start failing on them due to age, capacitors etc. Radio/heating displays. Suspension components, bonnet struts, leaky boot seals, steering column motor. however because the cars old you either put up with it or find a cheap way of fixing it. The problem with the 450 is you can't get aftermarket shocks, the air-con system has to be dealt with by Toyota or Lexus as its a special hybrid system. The only easy fix is the rear calipers.

Cars get ever increasingly complicated and harder to fix. I don't think Lexus is what it used to be but also I know what Merc and BMW aren't what they used to be. Its the way of the modern world, chuck away generation. Even Ford are at it. You can't by engine internals, oh no, you have to by a short block for £1500.

So yes if your car is worth a reasonable amount of money and is new enough for a warranty then its worth it imo.

However your probably best sticking with the 400 as it comes from a time when cars where over engineered. Don't worry when yours gives up the ghost you can buy mine off me, haha!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Many thanks Duncan.

From what I can glean from the information you have provided, you and your car fulfill all of the necessary conditions ( as I see them ) for the Warranty to pay out. No wriggle room for the Warranty Administrator or Lexus to occupy. Not many, (if any ) warranties will pay out for an 11 year old car !!

Been a particularly good investment in your case.

Regards

John

John, yes I had to cover myself and make absolutely certain it would. I made sure I had all the boxes ticked and asked about the lack of full lsh etc and made sure that I wasn't taking a warranty out that wouldn't pay out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Z28DUNC said:

Don't worry when yours gives up the ghost you can buy mine off me, haha!

Thank you. I'll put that in my diary for about 2028 then .........  when the new cambelt and waterpump I'm having done this month ( while I'm away in India ) will be due again for renewal :yahoo: 

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Thank you. I'll put that in my diary for about 2028 then .........  when the new cambelt and waterpump I'm having done this month ( while I'm away in India ) will be due again for renewal :yahoo: 

Malc

Be very careful with what you say in writing Malc !!  :):):)

2028 is almost half past eight this evening (lol) 

I suppose it could be the fact that the mileage is so low that the warranty company didn't complain.

Also, it is possible that because only one failed it is hard to argue wear and tear.

13 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

2028 is almost half past eight this evening (lol) 

OMG  it's passed and she hasn't turned into a pumpkin, or turnip, whatever the saying is :zorro: 

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1