gdh300

2001 IS300 for sale – needs a bit of love and attention [NOW SOLD]

After nearly 5 years and 90,000 miles, time for me to move on from my beloved IS300. 

In summary, 2001 IS300 in Scarlatti Red, 185,000 miles, MoT until middle of May. I’m the third owner (me since 2013) after Lexus in Aberdeen and the second owner in Chesterfield. It’s my daily driver, running pretty much every day for about 19,000 miles a year with servicing by me and my trusted independent mechanic. I won’t list the features and specs, I’ll assume you either know already or know where to find them! 

You don’t need me to tell you that to the trade at this age and mileage it is practically worthless. I’m listing here to in the hope of selling to an enthusiast, even if it is to just for someone to strip for parts. But I honestly think that would be a waste as someone with some time, plus some spanner knowledge, basic eBay skills and a modest bit of cash could restore her to a tidy motor for themselves or a family member. May be even to sell it on, who knows.

Here we go then, in more detail, warts and all: 

Good bits:

• Replacement lower front wishbones, May 2014.
  • Replacement OEM radiator fitted 2015 (by Lexus Hedge End). 
  • Replacement cambelt and auxiliary belt 2015 (by Lexus Hedge End).
  • Replacement front brake callipers and carriers, February 2016.
  • Both sills were welded around the infamous rot point just ahead of the rear wheels, May 2017.
  • Replacement coil springs to front nearside and offside at last MoT, May 2017.
  • Replacement offside front wheel bearing, September 2017.
  • Replacement OEM discs and pads on the front, September 2017. These were also skimmed on the car January 2018 (more about that later on),
  • Replacement Toyota Battery, December 2017.
  • Following a pothole induced puncture January 2018, there are two new Avon ZV7s on the front and it had four-wheel laser tracking at the same time. 
  • Two ATF changes in my ownership, plus one differential oil change.
  • Driven exclusively on 97RON petrol (V-Power or equivalent) since January 2017. Over my ownership, I have had an average of 30.2mpg; V-Power doesn’t affect mileage in my experience, but it does make the engine quieter and supposedly it keeps the fuel injection system clean.
  • Low oil consumption, about 1 litre every 3000 miles (5/30 fully synthetic) and that has been consistent over the course of my ownership. I tend to top-up with 500ml every month or so to maintain level.
  • Negligible coolant consumption.
  • I have a folder full of receipts and a saddo’s complete fuel, oil and tyre log. 
  • More subjectively, it drives beautifully. The gearbox and engine are both peaches, they pull lustily and change smoothly. I never have any doubts about doing 500 miles a day for work or for leisure and still get out fresh as a daisy. Everything works except the CD player (what a surprise) and the heated mirrors (I believe both glasses have the wrong connectors) and the interior is squeak and rattle free (except when it’s below zero outside). I’ve always driven with mechanical sympathy, never been anywhere near the rev-limiter, always allowed it to warm-up properly, never done burnouts and always tried to avoid battering over potholes or rough surfaces (except for last month’s incident courtesy of HCC). 

Not so good bits:

• The cambelt and tensioner will be due a change by 207k.
  • The red paint comes up lovely when cleaned and polished, but there are bits of lacquer peel in a few places on the front bumper. Annoyingly, last autumn I picked my first door dink (on the waistline on the front passenger door) and a kindly soul at Tesco put the slightest bump on top of rear bumper, but you must look quite hard to spot them. The wheels were refurbished a few years ago but have suffered some cosmetic scuffing since then. However, there is no rampant corrosion, witnessed by the tyres holding pressure well. Incidentally, the spare is a virtually untouched 17” alloy.
  • A persistent P430 error causes the EML light to come on, as it has for the last two years. Easy enough to clear (I can show you this) but returns within a hundred miles. A replaced oxygen sensor did not cure it but as it has always passed its emissions test come MoT time, and mpg hasn’t dropped it’s always been further down on the list of things to sort. 
  • The exhaust had a catastrophic split last summer and while my mechanic did a very good job of welding it, it will need to be replaced in due course. At the time, my mechanic was unable to source (in reasonable time) any cheapo mild steel versions, hence the repair. Since then, I have investigated a custom stainless-steel system and got quotes of about £600; I imagine Lexus OEM parts are more expensive. 
  • When I had the front discs on-car skimmed last month it turned-out that the pulsing through the pedal was not a disc or hub wobble, instead they reckoned it is an ABS fault. There are no stored codes and no lights to give a clue what is at fault, so the garage suspects it is a mechanical fault. Possibly a sensor is not reporting properly, possibly an ABS reluctor ring has lost some teeth, maybe it is the ABS pump/control module. Of course, this is only speculation at thisstage. My spanner days are over, so I’d have to leave it with my mechanic for a week to eliminate the system bit-by-bit, not something I’m able or indeed keen to do. But someone who is doing it themselves and can live with it off the road could certainly do it much cheaper; the bits are on eBay at reasonable prices. I should emphasise braking performance is unaffected.  

Summary:
I hope you can see by what I’ve listed above, this is a going concern, not some basket case. It’s used daily so mileage will increase. I’ll be sad to see it go and I’ve dithered for ages between moving it on or spending the cash to keep it. It’s been a fine car and I wonder if I will regret the decision to sell in a few months’ time? I have no unreasonable expectations and I’m not after fleecing someone with a silly valuation. Before disposing by some other method, I wanted to first offer this to an enthusiast here who will get the benefit of securing an IS with a known history. I have no doubt with a bit of effort now, another 185k is entirely possible…

I’m pitching it at £500 o.n.o.  PM me for any other details and/or photos you want and the registration, so you can MoT history check. Car is based in Hampshire, but I’m willing to travel if not unreasonable distance and you are serious!

By the way, the picture was taken on a North Wales road trip in August 2017.

WP_20170801_10_43_22_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Glyn

Nice write up and a credit to your ownership. I hope we can find a buyer who will provide the TLC to keep the car on the road.

Having just been looking for a car for my daughter with a very limited budget I know first hand what sort of tatty, ratty and completely unloved examples you'd normally find for that sort of cash.

I suspect the insurance for an IS300 and cost of the exhaust will mean it might be too costly for a young persons 1st car - I hope not.

More importantly, what are your replacement plans? Quite a few IS-F's on the market now :)

@bobmc more so with the 300 for your daughter but I found the IS200 reasonably cheap to insurance when I got it at 18 and I brought it for £750 cheaper than the 1.4 Skoda fabia I drove prior to that 😂. Still got my IS now after nearly 100k done myself over the Neale 4 years of ownership it's never missed a beat and it's perfect to drive...just moved purchased an ISF for a toy and got the IS for a daily now..

Hope you find something for your daughter.

@gdh300 this forum is pretty dead regarding sales of cars buddy, maybe try the Facebook pages. 

Is200/300 classifieds on Facebook I believe

Good luck with your sale.

• Like 1

A real shame Glyn but good luck with it. And 500 quid is a steal!

I'd imagine PistonHeads would be the best place to advertise this - might make 'shed of the week'

2 hours ago, bobmc said:

I'd imagine PistonHeads would be the best place to advertise this - might make 'shed of the week'

No! You are breaking my heart!

• Like 1

:music: I couldn't if I tried :music:

There's roughly 700 of out 1100 saloons left. Hope it goes to a good home.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LennyLexus said:

There's roughly 700 of out 1100 saloons left. Hope it goes to a good home.

I surprised by how many old IS I see, when you consider how long ago they went out of production and there relatively modest sales. May be it's just having an eye for a Lexus, but I'm convinced I see more IS than things like Mk3 Mondeos and the last of the Vectras, and both of those were produced in huge numbers. I suppose it's the demographic, Lexus fewer works reps, more private (mature?) drivers than either of those two - plus the obviously superior engineering!

• Like 1

When I got mine I'm quite sure I hadn't seen an IS for ages. And then I didn't really spot any others up until a couple of weeks ago and now I seem to spot one every other day. I even parked next to one the other day the same colour. I admired the gold lettering...

2CTMuykh.jpg

Glyn, if you've got gold lettering I'll have that too. And the wheels. And tyres.

:tongue:

4 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Glyn, if you've got gold lettering I'll have that too. And the wheels. And tyres.

:tongue:

I'll get my foil pen out!

So, lettering, wheels, tyres... hmm, only engine, transmission, seats and bodyshell left for me to convince you of... 

To be fair it's a testament to how well built these cars are. Over 15 years old and apart from some cosmetic damage to the alloys there's nothing on my car that isn't either like new, in perfect working order or both.

Hope someone takes it and spends the time and money on it. Like people have said very well build, the bits in mine that need sorting are down to previous owners not replacing things properly and that last owner not making any effort. See a lot of 200s out and about but still yet to see another 300 in the real world, even though on paper I think they outnumber the 200s.... just

Hi

On facebook there is a closed group "Lexus IS200 Classifieds (+IS300/Altezza)", apply to join no problem, 21,400 members!

It is full of enthusiastic Lexus owners, with many spare parts from cars, that have been broken for parts. I use it for my IS200 158,000 miles.

Recently purchased suspension parts, Lexus £200, Lexus breaker £25 inc postage!

2ddesign

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, a71jay said:

Hi, is this car still for sale?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Yes, still for sale although I have another LOC member viewing on Saturday (weather depending!). 

The suspense is killing me... 

3 hours ago, bobmc said:

The suspense is killing me... 

Ha! The weather and work intervened last week, Bob. I'm taking the old girl up to Birmingham on Saturday, hopefully to sell to a member of this forum. She's getting a last run to my work tomorrow, which will be emotional :sad:

Yeah, we do get attached don't we? Daft though it is.

Good Luck :)

Now sold, to Messi of this forum. I'm sure he's going to get a lot of stress-free miles of the old girl just as I did. As a former IS, GS and current SC owner, he knew what to expect! And yes, it was sad to see him driving away in it...

I’m now in a KIA Pro Cee’d GT (awful name, I know!), which is a bit of a itch I had to scratch. For about the last year I have been solely looking at IS250s but after belatedly test driving a 2011 Advance, I have to say it just didn't do it for me, which really surprised and saddened me. I had a similar feeling after I test drove a GS250. The KIA on the other hand I tested on whim and it felt surprisingly like my IS300. I’m not 100% convinced I've made the right choice, but I have to keep reminding myself that I don’t have to keep my cars for five years like I normally do, I can sell them after six months!

Meanwhile, I'm going to continue following the GT3 Lexus (and try to keep my motorsport thread up-to-date) and will be cheering them on at Silverstone in May. I am keeping my Autotrader searches active for a Gen3 IS250 F-Sport; they will eventually falls into my price range. Or just may be a late 2011 Gen2 IS250 F-Sport, like the beautifully beguiling black one I just (by about an hour!) missed out on in January. 

Good news on the sale. And that it's hopefully going to a new home. Something I didn't say before but there's a guy on our estate at work who I know would have had it like a shot but he drifts his cars at Santa Pod and elsewhere and I'm sure that would brought tears to your eyes. He'd have loved to get his hands on a 2JZ but I just didn't think yours deserved that treatment!

Two previous cars he's destroyed. He's using a BMW E46 atm.

7gfszBHh.jpg

jEzKht2h.jpg

MPWQHtDh.jpg