Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

VW Phaeton; Anyone moved to Lex from one?

As 'under the radar' as LS 400s? These cars seem to have been created in much the same way as the ethos that started the LS - to make the best car ever!

The Phaeton has same base as a Bentley (albeit a VW Bentley?) and certainly looks good in an understated way -as does the LS, I guess.

They seem to have the same level of attention given to all the little details (though no self-closing doors!)

Anyone had one?

(Yes, I know.....I said I'd given up on big cars.....)

blimey, just looked on that " how many left " website and there's only about 1500 VW Phaetons on the road last year

compared to just under 500 ( new model 3.5ltr ) Honda Legends which retail price are a tad more expensive ( I have one too )

and 1800  Lexus Ls430s and 

750  Ls460s   and  725  Ls600s

and some 1900  Ls400s .........  and the last of these were built some 18 years ago :wub:  

Malc

• Like 1

One word of warning - check the doors, bonnet and bootlid for signs of oxidisation under the paintwork.  Known issue with them for a long time.  Could lead to a serious repair bill for the unsuspecting buyer.

This really is an interesting topic in one aspect. If my 52,000 miles 2002, LS430 should be stolen or written off, where would I go?

Maybe a Prius a wonderful car which has the LS reliability. Maybe a Mercedes E class but it must be petrol and economicalish..... a 1.8 supercharged possibly. A Bentley or RR, wonderful naturally, but 13-15 mpg, plus £600 to service it is a bit rich for me.

All good cars but not the same as my wafting, dead reliable elegant limo. Every time I drive it, I ask why pay £16,000 for a Ford Focus?

10 hours ago, MLW said:

LS430 should be stolen or written off, where would I go?

just source another surely ............. there's plenty still about and more in Eire too if you wanted to import one :wink3:

Malc

Do not go near the Phaeton, I had a mate who was bonkers enough to have one, and all its problems, and then actually try another (mad).

He was envious that my Mk3 was 15 years old and never in the garage, where as both Phaetons spent far too much time in garage, and huge repair bills.

I would say the Prius impressed me, roomy, quite(ish), economical, not bad acceleration for what it is, and reasonable second hand ones out there if you look.  My mate regularly drives to Germany, in his, he says not as luxurious as LS, but not as thirsty.

My hi-fi principle is KISS (Keep it simple,stupid) and the Phaeton is certainly the opposite of that! Just the (massaging/cooled/heated) seats adjust in myriad ways -all those motors.

If you've got a rainy hour to kill, watch this tour of the car!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3TPHwP5ZPw

So MANY buttons/features!

But, at the same time, if it was that bad, the word would be out?

(We boys DO like our flashing lights/gadgets?)

Actually, if sensible economic, environmental reasoning was the key factor, the Prius is the only car anyone ever needs.

I had a Mark 2 for 4 years. Over 40k and it only failed one side light bulb (£1) and one headlight bulb, upgraded  for £16 the pair.

The car was very spacious, 58 mpg in winter and 63 mpg in summer. £10 road tax, and a huge rear passenger space and a big hatchback area. It had 8-9 airbags etc. The mark 3 is even better. The only problem was my daughter described it as a 'very good sewing machine'. And it was. It just did the job, day after day. Like a Miele washing machine.

BUT, ....... when I drive the LS430 I feel sorry for all the people who do not have one. Arrogance yes, pity for the poor people, yes..... but it is sublime magic! A LS430 tell you, God loves you and he wants you to be happy. 

• Like 1

You're right. (Tempting fate here...) our Miele must get used 5 days a week.

Cars SHOULD be just that, a means of transport; -but we get into the 'image' thing -or, in the case of Lex/Phaeton, the pursuit of 'perfection.

I'm still looking for a low mile, auto 2010 Cube, in the logic area-so why am I seduced by a limo?

After 37 years of always having a 'treat' car, I guess!

At least I've (finally) decided I'm too old for a Mehari (unless I move to Med coast.....)

5793421-citroen-mehari-les-45-ans-de-la-voiture-en-plastique.jpg