Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone, could anybody on here tell me what’s a good all year round tyre for my IS 250. I’ve read the thread on here and can’t make my mind up. The wheels are 18” 225/40 for the front. It currently has Bridgestone on the front. I’ve been looking at Goodyear F1 asymetric or Hankook Ventus v12 evo k120 and Dunlop sportmax RTX1. I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks,

John.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, could anybody on here tell me what’s a good all year round tyre for my IS 250. I’ve read the thread on here and can’t make my mind up. The wheels are 18” 225/40 for the front. It currently has Bridgestone on the front. I’ve been looking at Goodyear F1 asymetric or hankook Ventus v12 evo k120 and Dunlop sportmax RTX1. I would be grateful for any help.
Thanks,
John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avon ZV7

But if you need semi winter tyre performance, Michelin Cross Climates.

Not sure if you can get any of these in your size.

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

I currently have Goodyear F1s on the back and Avon's on the front. The F1s are amazing, but both are a summer tyre. Just take easier in winter... If you genuinely live or work on a route where you need proper winter tyres, buy a set of 16s and proper winter tyres.. around £500-600 when I looked last week, decided I would just take it easier in winter.

Avon ZV7

But if you need semi winter tyre performance, Michelin Cross Climates.

Not sure if you can get any of these in your size.

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

How much are the cross climates.

I currently have Goodyear F1s on the back and Avon's on the front. The F1s are amazing, but both are a summer tyre. Just take easier in winter... If you genuinely live or work on a route where you need proper winter tyres, buy a set of 16s and proper winter tyres.. around £500-600 when I looked last week, decided I would just take it easier in winter.

Would the Goodyear F1 asymmetric 3 be ok for the front.

I guess they would be amazing if the rears are anything to go by. Checkout their reviews on tyrereviews.com ot net over 3million miles of great reviews I remember correctly.

The only reason I have Avon's on the front is because that was the first pair I replaced and I didn't buy into the benefits of premium over mid range.

• Like 1

I guess they would be amazing if the rears are anything to go by. Checkout their reviews on tyrereviews.com ot net over 3million miles of great reviews I remember correctly.
The only reason I have Avon's on the front is because that was the first pair I replaced and I didn't buy into the benefits of premium over mid range.

Are yours asymetric 3 on the rear. It says that these are an good all year round tyre.

I have always been a big fan of uniroyal rainsports. They really are superb in the wet (which lets face it is 90% of the time in the uk) and long lasting. They really are an excellent all round tyre.

• Like 1

I have always been a big fan of uniroyal rainsports. They really are superb in the wet (which lets face it is 90% of the time in the uk) and long lasting. They really are an excellent all round tyre.

How much are they for the front rebecca. Thanks.

Do you want a good all round tyre or a good "all year" round tyre?

They aren't the same thing.

Uniroyal Rainsport 3'S are good value, certainly cheaper compared to the premium brands but worth remembering that they are performance tyres and hence wear quite quickly. Same with Goodyear Eagles. 

Do you want a good all round tyre or a good "all year" round tyre?
They aren't the same thing.
Uniroyal Rainsport 3'S are good value, certainly cheaper compared to the premium brands but worth remembering that they are performance tyres and hence wear quite quickly. Same with Goodyear Eagles. 

I need a good tyre which is good for use in winter and summer. What would you suggest. The Goodyear F1 asymetric 3 seems a really choice. Thanks

I need a good tyre which is good for use in winter and summer. What would you suggest. The Goodyear F1 asymetric 3 seems a really choice. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodyear F1 is a summer tyre. Goodyear vector4seasons is their all weather tyre.

I've ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

The 18" OEM rear size was a bone of contention in terms of choice and availability. For example, I don't think you can get the Rainsport 3 as a 255/40R18. Goodyear Asymmetric 3's are available, but only as a runflat it seems and I didn't want those.

My solution was to downsize to 245/40R18 on the rear and open up more options, and also save a fortune - 255 PS4s would've cost £110 more.

1 hour ago, J Henderson said:

I've ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

The 18" OEM rear size was a bone of contention in terms of choice and availability. For example, I don't think you can get the Rainsport 3 as a 255/40R18. Goodyear Asymmetric 3's are available, but only as a runflat it seems and I didn't want those.

My solution was to downsize to 245/40R18 on the rear and open up more options, and also save a fortune - 255 PS4s would've cost £110 more.

Or you can also go for 255/35 r18 to get the same sidewall size on front and rear

And its a hugely common size used on Merc and BMW as well as the 3rd gen IS (incidentally the front tyre size for the 2IS and 3IS are the same)

Or you can also go for 255/35 r18 to get the same sidewall size on front and rear
And its a hugely common size used on Merc and BMW as well as the 3rd gen IS (incidentally the front tyre size for the 2IS and 3IS are the same)

I’m sure mine is running on 245/40 on the rear it’s definitely 225/40 on the front.

Some tyres are much, much better than others on snow and ice. I remember vividly driving in central Norway in the winter about 12 years ago - I was driving a Opel Astra and was able to do over 100 kph on hard packed snow with Continental winter tyres - and in full control. And I was still overtaken by the occasional truck and coach going even faster. The temperature was -17deg C.

And down by the coast (or at least a fjord) I passed a british car - I forget what it was. He was obviously not on winter tyres and was pretty much out of control.

Proper winter tyres are amazing!

I think I’ll take your advice, and go for the Goodyear’s. I’ve just spoken to Costco tyres and the man there said it’s a brilliant tyre. We don’t live in Russia where we have loads of ice and snow on the roads. He also said no tyre will make much difference when driving on snow or ice unless you have chains around your tyres. [emoji1303][emoji1303]