Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I currently have Goodyear F1s on the back and Avon's on the front. The F1s are amazing, but both are a summer tyre. Just take easier in winter... If you genuinely live or work on a route where you need proper winter tyres, buy a set of 16s and proper winter tyres.. around £500-600 when I looked last week, decided I would just take it easier in winter.

I think I’ll take your advice, and go for the Goodyear’s. I’ve just spoken to Costco tyres and the man there said it’s a brilliant tyre. We don’t live in Russia where we have loads of ice and snow on the roads. He also said no tyre will make much difference when driving on snow or ice unless you have chains around your tyres. [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

Or you can also go for 255/35 r18 to get the same sidewall size on front and rear

And its a hugely common size used on Merc and BMW as well as the 3rd gen IS (incidentally the front tyre size for the 2IS and 3IS are the same)

Yep, I was considering a 35 profile tyre as an alternative, but I'd be concerned about how much it would upset things like headlamp aim & speedo accuracy since there's nearly an inch difference in rolling radius. Plus I know the increased wheel arch gap would just annoy me.

There's a damaged/repairable F-Sport on eBay at the moment with the wheels on the wrong axles (lol) and it looks awful IMO. Having a 255/35R18 would look something similar, since like you say, the sidewalls are roughly the same size as the fronts.

As for winter performance on a set of summer tyres, I guess the best you can do is opt for tyres that are highly-rated for wet grip.

Yep, I was considering a 35 profile tyre as an alternative, but I'd be concerned about how much it would upset things like headlamp aim & speedo accuracy since there's nearly an inch difference in rolling radius. Plus I know the increased wheel arch gap would just annoy me.
There's a damaged/repairable F-Sport on ebay at the moment with the wheels on the wrong axles (lol) and it looks awful IMO. Having a 255/35R18 would look something similar, since like you say, the sidewalls are roughly the same size as the fronts.
As for winter performance on a set of summer tyres, I guess the best you can do is opt for tyres that are highly-rated for wet grip.

Thanks for your help mate. Appreciated.

The man from Costco clearly talking out of his arse there.

Ok rich, so what would tyres would you use, as I don’t get much snow or ice where I live. You sound like you know what your talking about.

Pick an all season tyre or go down the two sets route. I'm in no position to recommend a particular tyre for your circumstances, I was pointing out that the Costco guy was talking nonsense.

Pick an all season tyre or go down the two sets route. I'm in no position to recommend a particular tyre for your circumstances, I was pointing out that the Costco guy was talking nonsense.

I’m just looking for some good advice on which would be a good tyre to get for my car. Wether the guy from Costco is as you said talking out of he’s arse or talking nonsense is of absolutely no interest to me. I’m looking for tyres, not opinion on somebody.

Well, you've had some good advice from this forum - most if not all the many tyres mentioned will do the job for most conditions in this country and I doubt you would notice much difference between any of them. (Unless you do a head to head test in varied conditions - even most tyre test mags can't afford to do that with many different tyres and even then the differences will not be great and only at the limits of performance)

And unless you do drive on snow and ice, in which case you will notice a difference and that will just demonstrate that the Costco guy soesn't know what he is talking about. And anyway, all rwd 'executive' saloons (Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Lexus etc) are pretty useless and a handful on almost any tyres on wet snow and ice. Things get better on dry snow and ice, but it doesn't get cold enough here for that (but it might this week!)

You did ask about all year round tyres - there is little choice in UK for tyres meeting that description = almost all tyres sold here are defined as Summer tyres. The only sensible all round choice (which means they have some winter tyre characteristics), are Michelin Cross Climates - they are head and shoulders above everything else with usage defined as all year round. Or you can go for two sets, winter and summer. Winter tyres work all year round but they wear rapidly when the temperature is above 7 deg C and they don't perform quite as well as even medium rated summer tyres when it gets warm.

Well, you've had some good advice from this forum - most if not all the many tyres mentioned will do the job for most conditions in this country and I doubt you would notice much difference between any of them. (Unless you do a head to head test in varied conditions - even most tyre test mags can't afford to do that with many different tyres and even then the differences will not be great and only at the limits of performance)
And unless you do drive on snow and ice, in which case you will notice a difference and that will just demonstrate that the Costco guy soesn't know what he is talking about. And anyway, all rwd 'executive' saloons (Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Lexus etc) are pretty useless and a handful on almost any tyres on wet snow and ice. Things get better on dry snow and ice, but it doesn't get cold enough here for that (but it might this week!)
You did ask about all year round tyres - there is little choice in UK for tyres meeting that description = almost all tyres sold here are defined as Summer tyres. The only sensible all round choice (which means they have some winter tyre characteristics), are Michelin Cross Climates - they are head and shoulders above everything else with usage defined as all year round. Or you can go for two sets, winter and summer. Winter tyres work all year round but they wear rapidly when the temperature is above 7 deg C and they don't perform quite as well as even medium rated summer tyres when it gets warm.
where I live I very rarely see snow or ice. So the guy from Costco was saying in he’s opinion the tyre I enquired about would be ok to use. All year round. My point is I asked for advice. Not wether somebody is talking out of their arse.

• 4 months later...

A bit of a late reply as I'm new to the forum.
I run and have run faulken as200 euro all seasons on my 2.2hdi pug for the last 5 years.
Really good tire. Manage around 18k a time. Very good in snow.
When they are down to the last few miles you can feel the tires lift in torrential rain.
I'm probably going to look at michelin climate control or Goodyear 4 seasons as the tires wear out or maybe nokians as they rate every year as the best out there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On 7/24/2018 at 5:38 AM, Shaunomercy said:

A bit of a late reply as I'm new to the forum.
I run and have run faulken as200 euro all seasons on my 2.2hdi pug for the last 5 years.
Really good tire. Manage around 18k a time. Very good in snow.
When they are down to the last few miles you can feel the tires lift in torrential rain.
I'm probably going to look at michelin climate control or Goodyear 4 seasons as the tires wear out or maybe nokians as they rate every year as the best out there.

I had Nokians on my BMW as a winter set, even though they were M+S tires, very good in deep snow and heavy rain, not so good on ice/melted snow, warm conditions (above 7C) or when rain just starts. Would I buy them again as all year round tires for Lexus? Probably not, I would consider Michelin Cross Climate+ first, unless I can get Nokian for half the price of the Michelin.

I used Goodyear 4seasons on a couple of cars in the past, and I was ok with them. They were good enough, as expected (in my mind there is no "good enough" tire for (wet) ice or deep melted snow, you need stud tyres or chains). I used a bit Falkens and Uniroyals all-weathers, as far as I remeber, they were mediocre vs. Goodyears, and some of them were noisy (I am mental on this issue more than on any "if grip is ok on left upper corner in medium rain in the high moon").

I thought about Nokian all-weathers for current GS, but price/lack of funds cancelled idea. I briefly have looked at Michelin Cross Climate as they are very close competition, and back to Nokians, as I had doubts if "summer tyre winter approved" (Michelin)  is possible better than "all weather" (Nokian, or Goodyear, Vredestein, Klebers, etc), but after comment above I have a doubts.

But still - I have no money for next set at the moment, so no problem 😉

This website has some really good prices.
I think they link to mobile tire fitters too.
But please just remember if you have the tires delivered to home or your local tire trusted place, they may charge upwards of a tenner per wheel to change the tires..
www.oponeo.co.uk

Mostly good reviews on trustpilot too.

Yeah, Oponeo is pretty good at this business, they started in Poland like 20 years ago ("opona" means "tyre" in Polish). They jumped early into cold internet selling, when nobody believe yet you could sell "bulky" tyres by internet and deliver them on time and in good price. They are solid stock market company now and steady expand whole Europe.

17 hours ago, Shaunomercy said:

This website has some really good prices.
I think they link to mobile tire fitters too.
But please just remember if you have the tires delivered to home or your local tire trusted place, they may charge upwards of a tenner per wheel to change the tires..
www.oponeo.co.uk

Mostly good reviews on trustpilot too.

I have used OPONEO a 3-4 times to get my tires, they were the cheapest but twice I had issues with them! 1st time I ordered 2 new tires and they had sent to me 2 wrong tires and not just the size even the make was wrong! The fun started when I contacted them and asked for another set of tires OPONEO said I need to pay for another set and no money will be refunded until they receive the wrong tires back, which is fine but it took them a week to organise a courier to pick them up, then another few days to refund the money and only then I was able to place a new order for another 2 new tires, all in all took me 2.5 weeks to get right tires!

2nd time I ordered just 1-off tire to replace the punctured tire on my car and OPONEO had sent 2 tires but this time my tire was correct make and size but second tire was totally random from my order (of 1 tire) but they were nicely packed together as one order!

I am saying if you use them just make sure straight away you check that you got delivered what you ordered! 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 6:57 AM, Vlady said:

I have used OPONEO a 3-4 times to get my tires, they were the cheapest but twice I had issues with them! 1st time I ordered 2 new tires and they had sent to me 2 wrong tires and not just the size even the make was wrong! The fun started when I contacted them and asked for another set of tires OPONEO said I need to pay for another set and no money will be refunded until they receive the wrong tires back, which is fine but it took them a week to organise a courier to pick them up, then another few days to refund the money and only then I was able to place a new order for another 2 new tires, all in all took me 2.5 weeks to get right tires!

2nd time I ordered just 1-off tire to replace the punctured tire on my car and OPONEO had sent 2 tires but this time my tire was correct make and size but second tire was totally random from my order (of 1 tire) but they were nicely packed together as one order!

I am saying if you use them just make sure straight away you check that you got delivered what you ordered! 🙂

I also had problems with "Oponeo". I ordered a set of four tyres of a specific make, and type. The tyres were delivered to National tyres, and I went along to have them fitted. After a while the fitter ask me to look at something on the car with three tyrs fitted, and working on the fourth. At that point I saw that the wrong tyres were fitted. National tyres contacted Oponeo pointing out the wrong delivery, and that the tyres sent were not acceptable.
The outcome was that National tyres had the tyres I wanted in stock, and Oponeo agreed to pay for them.

Refiitting my original tyres was not an option as I had a puncture on the way to national tyres repaired with a can of tyre goo. 

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaunomercy said:

Are there any 4 season tires available for the 255x40x18 size of the rears of the convertible ?

I've looked and can only find full on winters in that size

Tia

Paul

No there arent. 

Ive never used oponeo. I only used tyreleader and camskill - both of which have been excellent

Are there any 4 season tires available for the 255x40x18 size of the rears of the convertible ?

I've looked and can only find full on winters in that size

Tia

Paul

Try searching for 245/40-18 instead. It's a far more popular size and the difference is negligible if you switch.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1