Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking to get a RX 450H

Charlie1955

Hi everyone, I am new to this site although I have owned an IS250 and am now the owner of a CT200h. I am looking at purchasing a RX450H and am viewing one on Friday. It looks very good on the photographs on the website, but the reservation I have is that it has done 110,000 miles(2011 reg), but there is only proof of service for the first 50,000 miles(Lexus). Can anyone let me know what I should look for problems wise or should I walk away from it. The trouble is that they are quite rare cars and after looking for about a month it appears I may have to travel over 50 miles to purchase one and with having to p/x mine it would become a bit of a grind.

It might be helpful if you could post a link to the ad as otherwise we can only generalise. 

Mileage is not a big problem providing the car has had regular servicing. Is there no proof of servicing after 50K or just not Lexus ?

2 hours ago, Charlie1955 said:

Hi everyone, I am new to this site although I have owned an IS250 and am now the owner of a CT200h. I am looking at purchasing a RX450H and am viewing one on Friday. It looks very good on the photographs on the website, but the reservation I have is that it has done 110,000 miles(2011 reg), but there is only proof of service for the first 50,000 miles(Lexus). Can anyone let me know what I should look for problems wise or should I walk away from it. The trouble is that they are quite rare cars and after looking for about a month it appears I may have to travel over 50 miles to purchase one and with having to p/x mine it would become a bit of a grind.

We bought ours just under three weeks ago from Lexus Teeside, which is about 115 miles from where we live. Same as you, it looked absolutely excellent in the photos and we would also need to p/x ours, so I rang them, made an appointment to see/test it and asked if it would be ready to drive away, subject to the car being right and being able to come to the right deal. They MOT'd it on the morning of our appointment, we arrived at about 11.30 and by 1.30 we were driving home in it, p/x and deals done, no problem at all.

You haven't said what your budget is but Lexus Bradford still have the burgundy red 450H Luxury that I had a test drive in and it appears to be an excellent car.

In 7 days time I'll have had my RX for a year.  I got it from an independent trader in Wolverhampton over 100 miles away from me.  I traded in my IS250C and it was a hassle free experience.  It is very important that the dealer describes his car very accurately to you, but it is even more important for you to describe your car accurately to him (warts and all).  That way there are no surprises to either party and as long as you are taken by his car you can do the deal instantly.

My RX was 4 years old with 55k miles and a full Lexus service history.  I have no experience of the higher mileage you describe, but I would be extremely wary of the lack of history.

I think what I'm saying is, the car you describe wouldn't be for me, but don't let distance put you off doing a deal in principle subject to view and test drive.

As John says, budget is all important here.  Good luck and let us know what you find.

I too bought my secondhand RX 100 miles away from home, from a Lexus dealer.  Mine's a 2013 model, and I had to travel to get the spec and colour I wanted.  Even after 6 months in my hands, it's still only at 29k miles.  Personally, I would want to establish very clearly what servicing had or had not been done at the sort of mileage you're looking at.  

Just give it a miss and find another one if you're concerned.

These vehicles have service schedules of 10k miles or every year. That particular vehicle has missed more services than its had!

50 miles travelling is nothing for a car you're going to be doing thousands of miles in

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your input. Two days after posting this a Lexus RX450h came up for sale within 5 miles, 2012 plate, 110,000 miles with FLSH last one done at 107000 miles, went for a test drive and bought it for £11000.

• Like 1