Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus UX - where it stand in line-up

So I got some teaser e-mail from Lexus about upcoming premiere of UX, the production version of previous UX concept.

Now based on Lexus marketing language it is "new Flagship crossover SUV", but looking at previous UX concept I don't see it that way. Clearly, current flagship which is not available in UK would be GX, based on concept UX seems to be smaller then RX and maybe just about the size of NX (give or take extreme concept design features like massive wheels). That would make it intermediate model between RX and NX, sorts of BMW X3 equivalent. So then where the "flagship" comes from? Is it flagship of sub-division of sub-division of SUV?! I am a bit confused with this model...

What do you think?

https://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/ux/?ac=C6818&mc=E09&URN=6877867#luxury-flagship-crossover

53 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

So I got some teaser e-mail from Lexus about upcoming premiere of UX, the production version of previous UX concept.

Now based on Lexus marketing language it is "new Flagship crossover SUV", but looking at previous UX concept I don't see it that way. Clearly, current flagship which is not available in UK would be GX, based on concept UX seems to be smaller then RX and maybe just about the size of NX (give or take extreme concept design features like massive wheels). That would make it intermediate model between RX and NX, sorts of BMW X3 equivalent. So then where the "flagship" comes from? Is it flagship of sub-division of sub-division of SUV?! I am a bit confused with this model...

What do you think?

https://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/ux/?ac=C6818&mc=E09&URN=6877867#luxury-flagship-crossover

Lexus UK have made a right blunder there.

Its a small SUV around Toyota CH-R in size and more than likely to use the same chassis.

It will be available in the UK as UX250h which will be an all new engine. It will have around 160-170hp.

• Like 1

So it is more like sub-NX ~BMW X0.8 competitor? That seems to be about right judging from concept - sort of small SUV for "youth". Obviously, in UK young people don't drive so I am a little bit confused what purpose it will serve... 

Anyway, interesting design - I just think Lexus needs to get their (marketing) act together, because it is now totally confusing what "flagship crossover SUV" means..

4 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

So it is more like sub-NX ~BMW X0.8 competitor? That seems to be about right judging from concept - sort of small SUV for "youth". Obviously, in UK young people don't drive so I am a little bit confused what purpose it will serve... 

Anyway, interesting design - I just think Lexus needs to get their (marketing) act together, because it is now totally confusing what "flagship crossover SUV" means..

BMW X1/X2 competitor I would have thought

yes X2 seems to be about right, that if funny I just realised BMW blunder as well - X1 is effectively bigger then X2 and it is effectively proper 5 seat SUV, whereas X2 is this sort of weird SUV coupe crossover hybrid. Very similar to what I image UX will be. 

Just looking now to the new sub-forum admins have created (thanks!).

The engine designations for UX are very unusual - looking at Toyota CH-R options doesn't help either as most engines there are ~1.2-1.4l:

UX250h? - What is that! So it is neither 200h, nor 300h - new engine or is it 2AZ-FXE from old 2008 HS? Quite strange, because I struggle to see any advantage when compared to 300h 2AR-FSE (cheaper maybe?). Or is it maybe 2ZR-FXE from CH-R (and... CT200h).. this would become really confusing then, because one car would have 200h name when other would have 250h with the same engine.

The next one even more unexpected UX250 - is that comeback for 4GR-FSE? great engine, but I cannot imagine Lexus selling many of these.. not in this age and day. No 2L+ engine in Toyota CH-R at all.

UX200 or is it 200t? Again it seems Lexus made decision to take turbo engine away from UK market, it would be difficult to explain why they would take it back. Or is it then 3ZR-FAE.. again strange choice for Lexus.. certainly worse then 8AR-FTS.

I know that specific model are coming from the names Lexus has trademarked for UX and could be different in the end, but if true it seems strange decision to start introducing new engines here... instead of just sticking with 300h, 200h or 200t.

12 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Just looking now to the new sub-forum admins have created (thanks!).

The engine designations for UX are very unusual - looking at Toyota CH-R options doesn't help either as most engines there are ~1.2-1.4l:

UX250h? - What is that! So it is neither 200h, nor 300h - new engine or is it 2AZ-FXE from old 2008 HS? Quite strange, because I struggle to see any advantage when compared to 300h 2AR-FSE (cheaper maybe?). Or is it maybe 2ZR-FXE from CH-R (and... CT200h).. this would become really confusing then, because one car would have 200h name when other would have 250h with the same engine.

The next one even more unexpected UX250 - is that comeback for 4GR-FSE? great engine, but I cannot imagine Lexus selling many of these.. not in this age and day. No 2L+ engine in Toyota CH-R at all.

UX200 or is it 200t? Again it seems Lexus made decision to take turbo engine away from UK market, it would be difficult to explain why they would take it back. Or is it then 3ZR-FAE.. again strange choice for Lexus.. certainly worse then 8AR-FTS.

I know that specific model are coming from the names Lexus has trademarked for UX and could be different in the end, but if true it seems strange decision to start introducing new engines here... instead of just sticking with 300h, 200h or 200t.

All the engines are new

So I presume a 250h will be 160-170hp roughly. The HS engine has been long discontinued now so its not that.

I would presume its a new 2.0l petrol engine running on atkinson cycle paired with hybrid motors

The UX200 is more likely to be a NA 2.0l petrol engine on otto cycle with atkinson cycle when load is reduced. 

Could also just be the same engine from a CH-R and tuned to 160-170hp. 

I presume the UX200 and UX250 will use the same engines in different states of tune. The 200t is now called the 300 so it'll have to be a smaller turbo engine or a NA 2.0l 

On 21-2-2018 at 7:39 PM, Linas.P said:

What do you think?

good point, maybe the intern got confused and mixed the LF-1 flagship text with the UX introduction text?

wouldnt be surprised if the text is changed this week.

The UX makes a lot of sense for Lexus as that marketsegment is exploding. Nice margins also on the X2 equivalent and  as Rayaans said it will be based on the Toyota  CH-R.

14 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

if the price is right, it will be an excellent alternative to the aging CT.

I am really looking forward to it

I just hope they see it as an alternative and not a replacement. I can see the appeal of the crossover for some but for me I don't like the sacrifice of poorer economy and handling that is the trade off for sitting higher off the road. The CT could have been bigger if it had the option of more power (CT 250h) to compete more with the BMW 1 series and Mercedes A class, instead it has a more limited appeal being a Prius in a smart jacket.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, colin79666 said:

The CT could have been bigger if it had the option of more power (CT 250h) to compete more with the BMW 1 series and Mercedes A class, instead it has a more limited appeal being a Prius in a smart jacket.

Actually, I believe both 200t and 300h would have been brilliant engine options on CT. I personally found them under powered and "not refined enough" for IS or RC, but I am sure in CT they would be just right.

17 hours ago, colin79666 said:

I just hope they see it as an alternative and not a replacement. I can see the appeal of the crossover for some but for me I don't like the sacrifice of poorer economy and handling that is the trade off for sitting higher off the road. The CT could have been bigger if it had the option of more power (CT 250h) to compete more with the BMW 1 series and Mercedes A class, instead it has a more limited appeal being a Prius in a smart jacket.

It'll handle better than the current CT if its on the TNGA platform. 

I dont think there'll be much in terms of weight difference between the CT and UX to be honest. The new platform is lighter and I presume the new engine will be more efficient.

3 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

2019-lexus-ux-teaser-01.jpg

2019-lexus-ux-teaser.jpg

Looks OK but Im a bit disappointed. Thought it was going to look a lot more aggressive than it does.

Anyhow - from the pictures, appears the interior has got a large 10" screen, some newly designed seats and the drivers side of the dashboard looks similiar to the LC with the drive control setting knobs. 

There's also a new gearshifter and the UX seems to be getting the new touchpad from the LC as well and of course the steering wheel.

I cant see any volume control knobs so maybe they are similiar in position to the LC i.e near the touchpad. Overall, I like the cabin design - simple and elegant. I like how the screen has atleast been semi integrated too. 

Also a word on some new engines.

Lexus has revealed a 2.0l Direct injection 4 cylinder with 169hp and 151 pound-feet of torque. 

And the new hybrid to go into the UX250h is a combination of 107hp motors and a 143hp petrol engine. No combined figure yet but expect around 160-170hp. The engine is supposed to be a lot more efficient than the outgoing 1.8l in the CT and 10% lighter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think they're wise not to go too aggressive - I liked the direction of some of the concept stuff but could I have seen myself in one?

This'll be a X1-X2/Q2-Q3-level compact SUV and you can see immediately for the imaging that it's aimed at young professionals.

The CT has been discontinued in North America, but then so has the A3 for example. So we shall see what happens there.