Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Discs and Pads - Squeal

JeffL

I had new front discs and pads fitted 2 weeks ago to my GS300 (2007) by my independent garage but the brakes squeal very loudly when I reverse out of my garage. I do a very low mileage and have only done about 100 miles on local roads since the brakes were done. Any ideas what the problem is and how to rectify it? Do I take it back to the garage? Thanks

Well if you’re not happy or concerned you should pay ten a visit. They might be bedding in although my Lexus setup didn’t make a sound. But my Mintex set up on my Jag was dreadful in all braking but then stopped and are fine now. 

You could find out what make of parts they fitted.

If that’s all they are doing, noisy in reverse, probably ok. 

• Thanks 1

Went back to my garage today and they agree excessive squeaking. Booked in 1 week from today for them to investigate/adjust/possibly replace the new pads? Will report back in due course. BTW, had noticed the brakes were also squeaking when braking hard going forward so not just on reverse.

Have they fitted "anti-sequel" shims? That is the problem I have since last pads change - I have used harder "low dust" pads, but the garage which fitted brakes did no fit the shims. From braking perspective it has not impact, but is definitely embarrassing.. I keep putting off replacing them, mainly because you cannot get them anywhere, but dealers or from US and they cost £80+ for 4 stupid shims. I said I will finally get them fitted when I fit refurbished calipers (which are currently on the way to BCS).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Linas well said I wrote that and deleted it: the “have they fitted the anti squeal shims”...great minds.

I suppose on new non Lex pads they might not fit or be seen to be needed.

Good that they will take a look. 

• Thanks 1

So, if they have not removed the anti-squeal shims from the old brake pads (to fit to the new brake pads), you reckon that that will be causing the squealing? Surely they would know to do that? They've been looking after this car for me for the last 8 years, never had a problem with this garage before. If that turns out to be the case you can bet the old pads and shims have now been binned.

Yes but we know some discs and pads squeal as they are of an indifferent quality and this does catch out garages. My Merc garage had to give up with a supplier as the same pads were clearly different from the dealer so they had to revert to the dealer supplier.

Bless them they are max to the profit. My non franchise Jag dealer fitted **** filters at the same price I could fit the real thing. 

That’s why I do as much as poss myself and try OE unless it’s theft.

All's well that ends well! My indie had the car back on Thursday and they say that they 'checked and adjusted everything and greased/lubricated the callipers and no squealing now. If I have any further trouble we'll change the pads under warranty for you' They can't tell me exactly 'Why' they squealed,  just one of those things they said. As I am not technically minded re cars I accept them at their word as they have been looking after this car for me for 8 years and no problems with their expertise previously. Maybe the guy that did the brakes initially had a bad day and didn't fit properly or lubricated properly, who knows? Only been out in the car twice since but all seems okay, nice and quiet braking. :yahoo:

• Like 1