Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Extra service items

If the A/C needs re-gassing and the engine oil system needs a clean out, then there is something seriously wrong with your car and I’d be taking it up with Lexus U.K. Did they make any mention of a freebie KY jelly or Vaseline??

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Capitalmagpie said:

I'm having my first NX service after 12 months.

The dealer has recommended (at an extra charge).

A/C re-gas

Engine cleaning fluid added.

Are these worth doing ????

Thanks

Recommended is not the same as "it needs to be done" 

Lexus dealers usually recommend an AC Service after 2 years - not sure why they're saying its recommended after 1 year. You don't have to do it though, its your choice. 

Same with the engine cleaning fluid - doesn't need doing but is recommended.

Its like places which say "alignment recommended" after new tyres fitting. It doesn't need doing because the alignment doesn't magically pop out of place when fitting new tyres. It only needs doing if its not aligned

I think my 3RX had a air con service recommended after every 2 years. I decided to do it finally when it was 5 years old - only lost about 10% during that time.

On 2/21/2018 at 10:29 PM, Capitalmagpie said:

I'm having my first NX service after 12 months.

The dealer has recommended (at an extra charge).

A/C re-gas

Engine cleaning fluid added.

Are these worth doing ????

Thanks

Did you have them done? or say no?

• 2 weeks later...

The only way an aircon system loses gas is due to a leak. Leaks can be caused by something that has failed but the vast majority are caused by seals drying out because the aircon isn't used regularl;y enough. I think this dealership was trying it on to be honest given a one year old car with no more than 10k miles. A big fat no was the right answer :wink3:

• 1 month later...

They should not be recommending either of those on a one year old car. I would be interested to know what engine cleaning fluid they are offering. Toyota 0W20 does a fine job as it is and really doesn't require extra cleaning.

R134A refrigerant can leak up to 60g a year so they typically recommended every two years to account for this as well as to remove all the moisture in the system that has built up in that time.

R1234YF is still fairly so I have yet to see consistent figures of acceptable refrigerant leakage over 1 year but they are supposed to retain refrigerant much better than the old type so maintenance can be increased to 3/4 years.

One thing to consider also is what oil they are using. All dealers will carry ND8 and ND11 oil for hybrids and non hybrid vehicles. So if anyone uses kwik fit, Halfords etc make sure they have ND11