Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400H: System warning messages - help please

Hi All, 

Was travelling on the motorway today on the return leg of our first long journey since buying our RX00H.  All was well up to the point when we stopped at the services for a comfort break.  When we came out and started the car, the orange engine light was illuminated and three messages were displayed:

1) Check VSC System
Handbook says:

"Malfunction of VSC function of the vehicle dynamics integrated management is detected.Take your vehicle to any authorised Lexus dealer, etc...)"
2) Check Hybrid System

Handbook says:

"Hybrid  system malfunction is detected.  Stop your vehicle and call any authorised lexus dealer, etc...)

3) Check AWD System

Handbook says:

"All wheel drive system malfunction is detected.  Stop your vehicle and call any authorised lexus dealer, etc...)

I stopped and started the car a couple of times, but the messages didn't go away.  I drove around the car park a bit, but they still didn't go away.  

I called my breakdown people for assistance, but the man they sent wasn't a mechanic and only had a recovery truck, so we got a lift home.   

Questions:

A) Has anybody else seen these messages any have any advice or information to offer?

B) If I plug in my ELM327 device tomorrow, am I likely to find out anything helpful?  

C) If the messages are still present after the car has been switched off, does that mean that the faults still exist, or are they still present only as a reminder that they did once exist?

D) Do I need to urgently check my bank balance?  

Any information or advice would be gratefully received.  

Hopefully it will be something un-sinister, but if not, did you buy your RX400h privately or from a dealer. If dealer (which one?), there should be some warranty? Although I appreciate these are often difficult to claim on.

How is the car this morning?

My old LS400 had check engine light come on and go into limp mode soon after I first got it. It happened one more time before I figured out it had occurred after I'd filled the tank to the rim and then drove about 1/4 tank... I think the vacuum in the tank became too much. From then on I only filled the tank until the 'gun' clicked off and stopped there, never had a problem after that.

4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

D - I could be something simple - you won't know until the error codes are read. Your EML327 should work, depending on the software used. Let us know the code(s) stored.

OK, Thanks. 

I have used the OBD Autodoctor standard edition and this reports only one code.  This is on ECU2 and it appears as both a confirmed and pending fault.  

The details are P0A45- Powertrain generic.  Drive Motor B position sensor circuit.  

Any ideas? I'm off to hit google..........

4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

take a look at the following thread - wiring to the rear motor needs checking first

Thanks Colin.  I found the same thread posted by ramascooby in the US forum, but missed it here.  My mechanic is going to have a look on Saturday.  I'll keep you posted.  

For reference, ramascooby never fixed his- he sold it with the fault.  

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Stupot said:

Welland... did you resolve / get to the bottom of your warning light issues? 

Actually, I was meaning to post an update, so thanks for the prompt.  

In short, no.  It's  worse.  

We had the car for a month before the fault occurred.  Then, after clearing it, it did not return for another month.  Now, when I try to clear it, it will either not clear at all (keeps coming back straight away), Or it comes back within half an hour of driving.  

The electrical connections on the motor are fine.  My mechanic and the Lexus dealer advised that the only remedy is to replace the rear motor generator (MGR).  It can't be repaired,  because the parts (sensor) are not listed on any parts list.  Anybody got another idea?

Lexus price for a new MGR is £650 + VAT.  

I'm going to make a warranty claim with the dealer I bought the car from.

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear it has not been resolved and that you are having to resort to the dealers warranty. I hope that works out and will be interested to get an update on the integrity of the dealer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2018 at 10:32 PM, welland said:

Hi All, 

Was travelling on the motorway today on the return leg of our first long journey since buying our RX00H.  All was well up to the point when we stopped at the services for a comfort break.  When we came out and started the car, the orange engine light was illuminated and three messages were displayed:

1) Check VSC System
Handbook says:

"Malfunction of VSC function of the vehicle dynamics integrated management is detected.Take your vehicle to any authorised Lexus dealer, etc...)"
2) Check Hybrid System

Handbook says:

"Hybrid  system malfunction is detected.  Stop your vehicle and call any authorised lexus dealer, etc...)

3) Check AWD System

Handbook says:

"All wheel drive system malfunction is detected.  Stop your vehicle and call any authorised lexus dealer, etc...)

Hi All, 

An interesting development to report:

Bear in mind that my dash was displaying the three messages listed above at the same time as the orange engine light, and my computer reported the fault code P0A45 through the obd port.  When I tried to reset the fault code, it kept coming back immediately without even driving the car.  So, I ignored it and carried on using the car.  

Over the following week or so, two things happened 

1) first, message 1 and 3 disappeared, leaving just message 2 and the orange engine light.

2) then message 2 and the orange engine light disappeared.  

When I plugged in my computer, it still reports error P0A45.  The orange engine light still works as it illuminates during the test phase when the ignition is switched on, but then it goes off.  

So the question is this.  Why have all the dashboard warnings disappeared, while the ecu still reports code P0A45? What can I conclude from this? 

On 26/04/2018 at 11:34 AM, Stupot said:

Are the OBD error codes just an historical list or errors? Have you tried to clear the codes since the warning lights have disappeared?

Since the error messages disappeared from the dash, I have not tried to clear the error reported on my laptop.  

I've been using OBD Autodoctor, which has three different tabs for reporting the trouble codes:  Confirmed, Pending and Permanent.  Pending and Permanent have no trouble codes.  Confirmed is showing P0A45 (This is the only code that has ever been displayed, even when the dashboard showed three messages).  

a good proportion of warning errors like this - especially those that appear and disappear on the RX400h can be traced to low voltage in the 12v Battery

Temperature, how long the vehicle stands idle (1-2 weeks seems to be the start of issues), listening to the radio without the 'ready' light on can all cause the 12v to run down and throw this kind of error (usually check VSC).

I had my RX400h in to Lexus yesterday for a service / cam belt / water pump and they obviously let the Battery drain as I started it, pulled into the petrol station next door and it popped up with that very message, tuned off the auto lights which were on for some reason and it started fine. After a quick blast home down the a5 it started no problem this morning.

If it happens often the Battery may have become nonviable and need replacing, this is a common complaint with the rx400h as it's really a small Battery for the size of the car and drain the systems put on it. there are some higher capacity batteries that will fit and the same Battery can be sourced cheaper from a Toyota dealer as it's the same type that they fit to the last model MR2 i believe. 

On 01/05/2018 at 2:44 PM, julian1969 said:

a good proportion of warning errors like this - especially those that appear and disappear on the RX400h can be traced to low voltage in the 12v battery. 

Temperature, how long the vehicle stands idle (1-2 weeks seems to be the start of issues), listening to the radio without the 'ready' light on can all cause the 12v to run down and throw this kind of error (usually check VSC).

I had my RX400h in to Lexus yesterday for a service / cam belt / water pump and they obviously let the battery drain as I started it, pulled into the petrol station next door and it popped up with that very message, tuned off the auto lights which were on for some reason and it started fine. After a quick blast home down the a5 it started no problem this morning.

If it happens often the battery may have become nonviable and need replacing, this is a common complaint with the rx400h as it's really a small battery for the size of the car and drain the systems put on it. there are some higher capacity batteries that will fit and the same battery can be sourced cheaper from a Toyota dealer as it's the same type that they fit to the last model MR2 i believe. 

Interesting point about the Battery.  However, if the warning appears while driving, ie while the charging circuits are active, I would tend to thik that the 12v Battery would be very well charged and thus unlikely to be the cause for me.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, welland said:

Interesting point about the battery.  However, if the warning appears while driving, ie while the charging circuits are active, I would tend to thik that the 12v battery would be very well charged and thus unlikely to be the cause for me.  

Unless the 12V Battery is on its way out and can't accept charge like it used to.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links