Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The motoring media have recently published a number of articles on the new LS500h to coincide with the car's UK launch.

The consensus appears to be that it is a pleasingly avant-gard design inside and out but let down by the hybrid engine and gearbox from the LC500h. This offers 354hp but only 258 lb ft at 5100rpm - the latter for a car weighing 2420 kg, almost half a tonne heavier than an Audi A8. Lexus have a ready made solution - the 415hp 442 lb ft twin turbo V6 offered in the US and Germany but sadly not available here. 

I haven't seen one in the metal but it looks great in photos.

Interested to hear your views/ opinions.

Personalyl not a fan of cars with turbos, mainly because higher failure rate caused by such high speeds of the turbo really needing the cleanest of oils all the time to minimise turbo wear.

Not so sure a 2.5 tonne car is my thing, the 400 is heavy enough in terms of wear it places on running gear.

A contrast to the days when, for example, Citroen made the AX + BX light as possible. Now cars are over-padded and could roll off a cliff unscathed.

My recent post on Phaetons...I think they weigh a lot as well, even without hybrid.

i like it. the car is strikingly different than the competition and really stands out. weak point is the rear where the lights are too prius like for me.

would i buy it if i would be in the market for such a vehicle? ( which i am not).  not so sure. It is the drivetrain that is the weak point in my opinion. no choice. just look at the choice with the germans. The new A7 is pretty individual as well. and  i find the S class still the king of them all .

anyway not so important as Lexus only budgetted to sell 100 cars in the first 12 months. 

been there , seen it  and was thinking about it

My problem is that in order to get the Lexus safety system A+, you have to go and buy the top of the range model, the one with the reclining ottoman  back seats etc.

that is a bit pointless is it not? 

Hi all:yes:

My view on this new LS is i want one no question about it i want one:rolleyes: there is a slight problem for me as i cannot afford it:sad:.

Perhaps when it is a bit older yes.:whistling:

65mike

• 5 weeks later...
On 22/02/2018 at 10:27 AM, Cotswold Pete said:

Personalyl not a fan of cars with turbos, mainly because higher failure rate caused by such high speeds of the turbo really needing the cleanest of oils all the time to minimise turbo wear.

I guess it is how it is implemented/quality of components. Plenty of German brands that have turbo issues but both my Toyota MR2 GT-S Turbo and Supra Twin Turbo were bullet proof.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2018 at 6:49 PM, talaipwros said:

been there , seen it  and was thinking about it

My problem is that in order to get the Lexus safety system A+, you have to go and buy the top of the range model, the one with the reclining ottoman  back seats etc.

that is a bit pointless is it not? 

No you dont - its standard across the range and can get it on the base £73k one.

5.4s is hardly bad for a 2.4 tonne vehicle to 62mph. 

Besides, Id love to see a rolling start between LS500h and RC-F - my bets are on the LS because that engine/gearbox combo has absolutely rapid in gear acceleration

26 minutes ago, rayaans said:

No you dont - its standard across the range and can get it on the base £73k one.

Besides, Id love to see a rolling start between LS500h and RC-F - my bets are on the LS because that engine/gearbox combo has absolutely rapid in gear acceleration

Sorry to butt in but I have just checked the official Lexus promotion of the car in Question and it states the Safety feature is only available on the premier grade.

1 hour ago, ambermarine said:

Sorry to butt in but I have just checked the official Lexus promotion of the car in Question and it states the Safety feature is only available on the premier grade.

https://forms.lexus.co.uk/EBrochures/Lexus_LS_e-brochure.pdf

Premier gets Safety System A+ but the safety system+ is still standard across the range

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

The LS500H weighs between 2300 - 2400kg depending on the version. The RCF weighs around 1800kg and has around 100 more horsepower.

I can't therefore see how the LS could beat an RCF in a rolling race even with electric assistance. The figures just don't add up. But I may be wrong!! 

2 hours ago, Chafford1 said:

The LS500H weighs between 2300 - 2400kg depending on the version. The RCF weighs around 1800kg and has around 100 more horsepower.

I can't therefore see how the LS could beat an RCF in a rolling race even with electric assistance. The figures just don't add up. But I may be wrong!! 

Only reason I say that is because the RC-F is rated 3.7s, 50-70mph. The RX450h is 4.1s despite weighing 2 tonnes and having 170hp less. So I would think the LS500h with its additional power and more powerful motors etc would be pretty close if not the same

How much do you want to bet? :D

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, rayaans said:

https://forms.lexus.co.uk/EBrochures/Lexus_LS_e-brochure.pdf

Premier gets Safety System A+ but the safety system+ is still standard across the range

But the original statement was about A+

"My problem is that in order to get the Lexus safety system A+, you have to go and buy the top of the range model"

On 03/04/2018 at 9:00 PM, Chafford1 said:

LC500h versus RCF - 30 mph rolling start - now that would be interesting!

Car and Driver have stats. The RC F beats a LC 500h 5 to 60 mph however the LC 500h beats the RC F 30 to 50 mph mainly because of the slow kick down on the transmission (the LC 500 beats the 500h). In gear the RC F would win.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chafford1 said:

LC500h versus RCF - 30 mph rolling start - now that would be interesting!

Would be indeed. Stats make for some interesting reading. 

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

But the original statement was about A+

"My problem is that in order to get the Lexus safety system A+, you have to go and buy the top of the range model"

Yes, I agree.  My 10 year old 460 (which I've had for 9 years) has more safety kit than the +.  I've waited for something with equal or better safety spec to come along, and now it's here in a car with only 4 seats at the very top of the price range.  I don't think that Lexus understands UK motorists, nor the reasons that they would buy an LS.

I suspect it's going to be a Volvo S90 for me next, but I'm putting it off for as long as I can.

It makes me sad.

: o (

13 hours ago, scythe said:

Yes, I agree.  My 10 year old 460 (which I've had for 9 years) has more safety kit than the +.  I've waited for something with equal or better safety spec to come along, and now it's here in a car with only 4 seats at the very top of the price range.  I don't think that Lexus understands UK motorists, nor the reasons that they would buy an LS.

I suspect it's going to be a Volvo S90 for me next, but I'm putting it off for as long as I can.

It makes me sad.

: o (

S90 T8 is a plug in hybrid with a 4 cylinder engine.  The Genesis G90 is probably the closest fit for your LS460 but it's not on sale in the UK.  Mercedes S500 is now a turbo charged straight 6 mild hybrid with 450 hp - BMW 750i still has a V8.

Aren't most of these big saloons now configured as 4 seaters - if you want more space you go for an SUV.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links