Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel bearing and other queries...

2005 RX400H. 88 k FSH. Getting a whoo whoo noise NSF wheel, becoming more pronounced. Thought it was flattish tyre to start but no... could it be a wheel bearing? Can't find any recent posts mentioning wheel bearings... common fault/uncommon fault? I bought the car from a local (respected) non Lexus dealer who, on condition of my purchase, replaced the timing belt and refurbished the alloys. Could they have put the wheel on wrong?!

I was also thinking about changing the brake pads and discs because the service history from Lexus suggests the front discs and pads were done in 2014 but OEM  prices are eye watering. Anyone have the Toyota equivalents? 

Lastly, I've ordered the 12v battery from Lexus, last replaced by Lexus in 2014. I left the interior lights on I think (the key was in the ignition and there wasn't a whisper of power when I tried to start) and the Battery completely drained; it now it goes flat after 5 or 6 days out of use. Does 4 years seem about right to have to replace? 

Thanks for any help.

Ez

6 hours ago, Ezzie said:

2005 RX400H. 88 k FSH. Getting a whoo whoo noise NSF wheel, becoming more pronounced. Thought it was flattish tyre to start but no... could it be a wheel bearing? Can't find any recent posts mentioning wheel bearings... common fault/uncommon fault? I bought the car from a local (respected) non Lexus dealer who, on condition of my purchase, replaced the timing belt and refurbished the alloys. Could they have put the wheel on wrong?!

I was also thinking about changing the brake pads and discs because the service history from Lexus suggests the front discs and pads were done in 2014 but OEM  prices are eye watering. Anyone have the Toyota equivalents? 

Lastly, I've ordered the 12v battery from Lexus, last replaced by Lexus in 2014. I left the interior lights on I think (the key was in the ignition and there wasn't a whisper of power when I tried to start) and the battery completely drained; it now it goes flat after 5 or 6 days out of use. Does 4 years seem about right to have to replace? 

Thanks for any help.

Ez

It could be a few things. 

Wheel bearings often make noises upon turning - sort of sound like groans. Its not a fault as such but just normal wear and tear, especially on a 05 vehicle with 88k miles. 

However, it could also be tyres. I had a Merc with budget tyres on (dont ask, all my money was spent on renovating the house) and it made a washing machine like whirring noise. Budget tyres are notorious for this.

Its unlikely that they have put the wheel on wrong - its literally just put it on and tighten the bolts to set torque.

Why do you want to change the discs and pads? Are they rusted or worn? If not just leave them. However, Eurocarparts currently have 50% off discs and pads using code FEB70. Go for the brembo brake discs and pads - you can't go wrong with those and they work out less than £100. Use topcashback/quidco and you'll get about 2-3% back as well. 

4 years seems ridiculous for batteries. They should last atleast 6-8 years I would have thought.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply rayaans.

You too think 4 years is not good enough.. batteries are often warranted for 3 so that suggests more years of use possible. Having said that I have Classic Saabs with little use and they can't manage a winter here without Battery failure. I take the Battery out for winter but it's a pain as there are nice 'top down' days and I don't have the time to find the Battery, charge it, fit it and then skip out... 

I definitely need to sort the whoosh whoosh (it does increase on turning) and strongly suspect a wheel bearing. Whilst I'm not unhappy with braking, I just figured if I was doing that job, I may as well do some other maintenance. Thanks for the link. I can almost sort all 4 wheels (brembo discs/pads) for the price of a Lexus wheel bearing/disc/pad for one wheel?!

Would still be curious to know if Toyota have same discs and pads? 

Thanks 

Ez

Ezzie, I am not an expert but have researched the subject considerably and now renew my car Battery every three winters/four summers here in southern England. 

I buy top quality batteries  and swap them out because I do not want to be stranded for not much more than the cost of a tank of fuel.

Regarding your Saabs  have you considered the CTEK type chargers/conditioners? They are designed to be left continually connected to a Battery itself remaining connected to the car. Their intelligent circuitry actually prolongs the life of the Battery.

Have you checked for play in the bearing? An approximate test is to grasp the top of the wheel and try and rock it towards you, there should be negligible play. If you are worried about the wheel being lose then check the nuts are tight, not unknown for a mechanic to forget to tighten them.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links