Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Darkened rear glass.

parkman

I wonder whether anyone might have an answer, or a solution to the following question.

Is it possible to change the rear door windows from darkened glass to ordinary clear glass, as fitted to the front doors. I was thinking about the RX 450h in particular. I don't like darkened glass unless it is fitted all around, as you sometimes see in the US.

I find that a lot of manufacturers insist on putting darkened glass in the rear windows; Audi, Jaguar, Lexus, and quite a few more. But I would like to see whether it is a film on the glass which can be removed, or is the glass actually dark ?

What would be the solution, getting two new rear door windows ?

Parkman.

The glass itself is tinted so you can't remove it. However, you really don't notice the tinting when you are driving the car as the tint is quite mild.

Are you concerned about the overall vehicle appearance?

Yes, I just think that having the rear windows tinted always looks out of place. I remember many years ago that people could buy the tinting film and they would stick it to all the windows except the windscreen, and the car just looked stupid.

One of the few manufacturers that did it properly, and subsequently got the tinting banned in the UK, was Peugot. My wife had a lovely Peugot 106 GTI back in the day, and it was metallic dark green with green tinted glass, and it looked really smart because all the glass was tinted green.

I'm not sure that I will buy an RX 450h if I can't find one with the options that I want, cream leather and sunroof, but with clear glass in the rear windows. I will probably need to look at the Volvo XC60 as that has normal glass in the rear passenger windows.

Parkman.

Rear privacy glass is standard across the range on the series III RX450h. If you find one without then it could be an import or the glass has been changed for some reason.

As the UK law only allows a maximum of 25% tint to the windscreen you could have a common look to all glass however that would just be light cosmetic tinting, it wouldn't offer privacy which is the feature that Lexus are offering.

• Like 1

Thanks, Colin.

I just don't understand why all the RX's should require "privacy glass". What is going on in the back of all the vehicles that require "privacy glass" ? Are there so many VIP's going about in RX 450's ?

I have the feeling that having "privacy glass" in your car is the same as wearing sunglasses when they are not needed, like that prat Anna Wintour at Fashion Week. What knucklehead feels it necessary to wear sunglasses in the evening, indoors, and then refuses to take them off when talking to someone, in this case the Queen. What an idiot Wintour is.

Anyway, back to the topic !! So that kind of makes up my mind. Much as I would like an RX, and I don't have the wherewithal to buy a new one, I don't want the "privacy glass". So it looks like I will need to buy the more expensive, second hand, Volvo XC 60 with the 2 litre petrol engine. A fine motor, none the less.

Parkman.

I think it is more to do with parents not wanting people to see their young children inside than a VIP thing.

The XC60 is nice (when they are working) but it's no RX450h. To me it seems an extreme position to take in compromising a vehicle choice over some darken glass but it's certainly your decision.

Good luck on your search.

I have factory fit privacy glass on the rear windows of my GS and it’s great for my two young boys in the back. They can see out fine but the sun’s glare is restricted. Win/win.

I wouldn’t be in a hurry to change it if I was in your shoes.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Hmmmmmm, I suppose, only "suppose" mind you, that there could be some merit in the arguments for having privacy glass. I think that I will have to have a closer look at the RX. A neighbour has an Audi A6 with dark rear windows and it just looks unbalanced. I do have difficulty in finding any attraction in the dark glass.

My daughter just fitted retractable blinds in the rear of her Suzuki Vitara suv, and they work very well for her two mini-kids. Two Jaguars that I had previously also had retractable blinds that rolled back into the doors, and I think that this is a much better solution, from a visual point of view, than dark glass.

However, I will have a closer look at some RX's at the dealers and see if I like the dark glass any better.

Thanks, all, for your opinions.

Parkman.