Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Groaning suspension

Sad to say I've got another problem with my NX.

The front suspension is now creaking and groaning over larger bumps, especially speed humps and even at very low speeds. It's booked back into the dealer next week, continuing to merit the 'timeshare car' tag that it's been given due to the amount of time it spends with the dealer. Not exactly what I was expecting quality wise when buying a Lexus.

Anybody had or heard of similar issues? Any ideas as to the cause? I'd say the ride has become much harder too over the past few miles so something isn't happy!

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Sad to say I've got another problem with my NX.

The front suspension is now creaking and groaning over larger bumps, especially speed humps and even at very low speeds. It's booked back into the dealer next week, continuing to merit the 'timeshare car' tag that it's been given due to the amount of time it spends with the dealer. Not exactly what I was expecting quality wise when buying a Lexus.

Anybody had or heard of similar issues? Any ideas as to the cause? I'd say the ride has become much harder too over the past few miles so something isn't happy!

You're not having great luck are you!

Lexus quality is generally impeccable - worth remembering that Merc actually uses Lexus as a benchmark for quality and are astounded at how things are done at Lexus.

Groaning and Creaking would make me think upper suspension mounts but surely not on a car that 1 year old. 

I dont think anyone has even had an issue with suspension on the NX.

I swear you've bought a friday evening car....

Indeed so, I think my NX was built on the site of an old Indian burial ground! It's cursed I tell you, CURSED :ohmy:

It's only 5 months old with fewer than 3k miles so I'm interested to see what the issue is. Everybody tells me how unlucky I've been, I think that makes it worse lol.

That is very bad luck Ed, considering the Lexus reputation. Is it time for Lexus UK to take responsibility for all your problems and sort it out once and for all for you, with such low mileage and age, not to mention the time you spent without your own car. Hopefully good luck will be on your side next week when they take it in.

It's got me wondering what mine is going to be like when it arrives in about ten days time.

To be fair both Lexus UK and Lexus Swindon have been very good with nice courtesy cars and free gifts to say sorry.

Even so, I'll wait and see what the issue is this time before deciding whether to discuss other options with them.

• 2 weeks later...

My car is with Lexus Swindon today. They don't think this is a big issue, probably lubrication required to the spring seats (whatever that means!). 

Fingers crossed they're right.

@First_Lexus Hi Ed - once again I know what you are going through. IMHO on a car at that price and mileage with it being in Lexus hands for so long and again now, I think it would be advisable to reject the car before any other issues arise. The freebies you are receiving are only sweeteners so you keep the car.

If Lexus replace the car FOC it would really confirm them to be the superior car manufacturer that they are.

You will recall it took 11 months for Honda to replace my CRV - but they did so and I will always praise Honda for doing so and also, the quality of the CRV. I bought the NX as Honda did not manufacture a hybrid CRV at that time. I believe this is coming next year. I certainly have no complaints with my NX.

Best of luck with your problem(s).

• Like 2

Well, this was at least a simple fix and one for other NX owners to look out for. It took the dealer only a couple of hours to resolve - including a clean. The issue was that the front anti-roll bar bushes had dried out. They needed to be removed, cleaned and re-greased.

It seems this is a common issue as road salt dries them out. Not something I've ever had previously on any other make of car, but there you go. Apparently Vauxhalls have the same issue. Hmmmm...:wacko:

@Zoot1948 - I really like the NX, but to be honest at 6 months old I'm very disappointed with all the build quality issues. Yes, Lexus have been great but on a 'quality' car bought specifically for build and reliability it has shaken my faith somewhat. Fingers crossed this is the last of the gremlins, but even so I can't see myself staying with Lexus next time. In a couple of years Honda should have a hybrid CRV available, and if they do then I'll likely return to them. 

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to some nice Spring weather and giving the NX a really good clean. That always helps me to feel better about a car. It's the OCD...:whistling1:

Hey Ed,

I too noticed this when driving yesterday. I have not had the car for a year yet... I hear it more on the front right hand side going over small or large speed bumps its frustrating to say the least...

I am glad to hear it's a simple fix by why is it happening after not even a year of being on the road? I have done 5.5k miles since I bought it in June last year.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Omegajb said:

Hey Ed,

I too noticed this when driving yesterday. I have not had the car for a year yet... I hear it more on the front right hand side going over small or large speed bumps its frustrating to say the least...

I am glad to hear it's a simple fix by why is it happening after not even a year of being on the road? I have done 5.5k miles since I bought it in June last year.

Front right was the issue with mine. Not sure why Lexus would have this issue where other marques don't - I have no engineering or mechanical knowledge so not in a position to even guess. Does anybody know if this is a design quirk, as I've never had it with other makes previously.

Get it booked in and sorted. The worry is that outside of warranty in a few years...hmmm. Not great.

I'm unaware of your other issues Ed, but have you spotted the following:

• Sporadically on hills the cars assisted hill break does not come into effect. Causing the vehicle to occasionally roll back?
  • This may not be an issue, may be related to the hybrid Battery. But when parked and the engine is silent, without pressing the accelerator or moving to drive the car kicks in with full engine roar?

28 minutes ago, Omegajb said:

I'm unaware of your other issues Ed, but have you spotted the following:

• Sporadically on hills the cars assisted hill break does not come into effect. Causing the vehicle to occasionally roll back?
  • This may not be an issue, may be related to the hybrid battery. But when parked and the engine is silent, without pressing the accelerator or moving to drive the car kicks in with full engine roar?

I've had the second issue, but assume it is a normal characteristic. Only seems to happen in low temperatures, so I guess the car needs more power for lights/heat/heated seats etc. than the batteries alone can offer?

Not had the hill hold issue, that sounds like one to have looked at.

My car had a manufacturing defect which was relatively minor but took ages to identify and then resolve. The Lexus UK engineer who finally worked it out said he'd never seen a Lexus with such a fault leave the factory. Lexus had the car for almost three months while they sorted it.  

Wow... That is shocking to see that it passed all the safety checks to get passed onto a customer. 

I am glad that your car is now fixed, but surely that experience has tainted your views I know it would for me. 

I have booked my car in to get looked at next Thursday. To get the hill break, and the suspension looked into. 

Hi all,

I just wanted to add to this thread as we have encountered the same problem.

We collected a new NX300h F Sport in October last year (one of the last facelift models) and the creaking and groaning from the front right started appearing around Jan 2018. Noticed it mostly on speed bumps and it sounds like the rigging of an old wooden ship!

This was fixed by the dealer in Jan 2018 and I was told a new part was ordered and fitted however I did not query the details at the time. It has now re-appeared last week so am curious whether a new part was actually fitted or not or just whether something was lubricated. If it was a new part then it's not lasted very long.

Due to it needing a visit to reproduce and then another visit to fix it's becoming quite an inconvenience and not something I would of expected with a Lexus. 

Also a bit worrying that the fix only lasted for 2-3 months.

I will keep you all posted at to what the fix is this time as I will ask a few more questions.

Regards

Tremly

Have you noticed that you guys all have pre-facelift 2017's?

These issues have never been present on older models. We had the odd rattling number plate on an NX but nothing like groaning suspension, dried out bushes etc.

The UK cars are built in Japan and they must have been getting ready to get the facelifts out 

I'd be asking for a new car at this point Ed.

Chances of this only affecting the later pre-facelift Sport and F-Sport models?!

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

Have you noticed that you guys all have pre-facelift 2017's?

These issues have never been present on older models. We had the odd rattling number plate on an NX but nothing like groaning suspension, dried out bushes etc.

The UK cars are built in Japan and they must have been getting ready to get the facelifts out 

I'd be asking for a new car at this point Ed.

Chances of this only affecting the later pre-facelift Sport and F-Sport models?!

Lexus Swindon made a point of saying that the groaning suspension wasn't a fault - rather it was routine maintenance caused by road conditions. That makes me doubt Lexus quality TBH. I've never heard of anything like that on any other cars I've owned, and those include Renaults!

I won't be asking for a new car. I bought the NX on a PCP, and residual values are strong. I'll keep it for another 18-24 months (I've already had it for 6) then chop it in for the new Honda CR-V Hybrid which is already available in the US and will be available here in Autumn 2019. My feelings having owned plenty of Hondas is that they feel more thoroughly engineered. The interior quality isn't as 'premium' nor is the design as 'cutting edge.' However, they feel more robust to me, and certainly the design is more thoughtful for the user in a number of ways.

If I have any disappointment at all with the way Lexus have handled my issues it is that at no stage did they approach me to offer a replacement. I had to put that onto the table and push it, which is when the original manufacturing issue was identified as 'minor' (I have no way of knowing if I was told the truth, but I think I was) and when the wheels/side-steps were offered as compensation. Even then, Lexus wouldn't give me everything I asked for, rejecting my request for two free services as well.

I like the NX, but ultimately my confidence in the Lexus brand has been shaken to a level where it is unlikely to be recovered. While it is under warranty I'll keep it. Before the warranty expires, I'll move back to Honda.

55 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Lexus Swindon made a point of saying that the groaning suspension wasn't a fault - rather it was routine maintenance caused by road conditions. That makes me doubt Lexus quality TBH. I've never heard of anything like that on any other cars I've owned, and those include Renaults!

I won't be asking for a new car. I bought the NX on a PCP, and residual values are strong. I'll keep it for another 18-24 months (I've already had it for 6) then chop it in for the new Honda CR-V Hybrid which is already available in the US and will be available here in Autumn 2019. My feelings having owned plenty of Hondas is that they feel more thoroughly engineered. The interior quality isn't as 'premium' nor is the design as 'cutting edge.' However, they feel more robust to me, and certainly the design is more thoughtful for the user in a number of ways.

If I have any disappointment at all with the way Lexus have handled my issues it is that at no stage did they approach me to offer a replacement. I had to put that onto the table and push it, which is when the original manufacturing issue was identified as 'minor' (I have no way of knowing if I was told the truth, but I think I was) and when the wheels/side-steps were offered as compensation. Even then, Lexus wouldn't give me everything I asked for, rejecting my request for two free services as well.

I like the NX, but ultimately my confidence in the Lexus brand has been shaken to a level where it is unlikely to be recovered. While it is under warranty I'll keep it. Before the warranty expires, I'll move back to Honda.

Ah well, you win some you lose some I guess.

I have no doubts about Lexus quality because Ive owned quite a few with no issues at all. My 3RX had bushes go after 5 years but nothing else in 8 years of ownership, 3RX had stuck brakes (but it was my fault for putting the brakes on after washing and parking it up for 3 weeks) but no other problems in 5 years of ownership. 4RX has no issues and 3IS has none either after 4.5 years. 

Sounds like it may be a manufacturing defect thats been missed rather than anything else

Don't get me wrong, I do like the NX a lot. The drive is excellent, as is the interior. I just can't get over the feeling - having bought the brand specifically based on a reputation for quality - that the 'quality' may be a bit superficial. The paintwork seems very brittle, and the interior plastics seem to mark quite easily in comparison to Honda. Looking at the various courtesy cars I've had those issues don't just affect my NX either.

Who knows, maybe I'll have no further issues and in a couple of years I will be looking at another Lexus. I just can't see that at this moment due to my disappointment with the issues I've had and the nagging feeling that I'll have more. A friend of mine who works 'in the business' tells me that Lexus quality is still at or near the top of the tree but isn't what it was a few years ago. Maybe my NX is symptomatic of that.

I fully accept there are many here who have had no issues - I'm sure there are on Alfa/Renault/Ford forums as well - and I accept that Lexus are much better than most. The trouble is when you've had the experience that I have, regardless of trying to stay positive, it does colour your view. Inevitable really.

I can understand that, after having issues with two Mark V VW Golf's (1.9 TDI & 2.0 GT Diesel) I will never return to Golf. Hopefully Lexus is able to bring you back to the brand with future vehicles in the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Don't get me wrong, I do like the NX a lot. The drive is excellent, as is the interior. I just can't get over the feeling - having bought the brand specifically based on a reputation for quality - that the 'quality' may be a bit superficial. The paintwork seems very brittle, and the interior plastics seem to mark quite easily in comparison to Honda. Looking at the various courtesy cars I've had those issues don't just affect my NX either.

Who knows, maybe I'll have no further issues and in a couple of years I will be looking at another Lexus. I just can't see that at this moment due to my disappointment with the issues I've had and the nagging feeling that I'll have more. A friend of mine who works 'in the business' tells me that Lexus quality is still at or near the top of the tree but isn't what it was a few years ago. Maybe my NX is symptomatic of that.

I fully accept there are many here who have had no issues - I'm sure there are on Alfa/Renault/Ford forums as well - and I accept that Lexus are much better than most. The trouble is when you've had the experience that I have, regardless of trying to stay positive, it does colour your view. Inevitable really.

The paintwork has always been an issue on Lexus - they have always had soft paint, however, I have stressed to other members, and on other forums that paintwork quality is not about the softness or hardness of a paint. For example, Aston Martin and Ferrari typically have very soft paint and its usually laid down quite thin too despite being very high quality. Honda also suffers from soft paint but paints can vary from car to car, nevermind between manufacturers.

Interior quality is similiar. You'll find that high quality leather is soft and therefore tends to mark/wear easily. In some of the Lexus vehicles, its semi-aniline so will mark quite badly if caught. Same thing with plastics - you'll find that low rent plastics will be almost impossible to scratch. 

Reliability has been a massive thing for Lexus so its a very rare occurrence that your car has had such major issues. I don't doubt there will be a recall at some point regarding the NX bushes if its affecting a lot of cars - there certainly was for my 2nd gen RX

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Hope you don't get any more problems Ed. You've been unlucky, certainly if my experience is anything to go by. I've had 5 Lexus and barely a thing has gone wrong, ever, About 130k miles in total I would say and all were reliable and better than any other marque I've owned. I'm staggered by how much your car has been off the road to be honest. Sounds like Lexus and the dealership have been good throughout all of this but even so it's not great. Hopefully you'll get to a point where you can drive without thinking that something else is about to go wrong! In 22k miles with my NX I've not experienced the groaning at all but I have done in a number of other cars - a Renault 19 16V company car I had was particularly bad in this respect.

• Like 1

I got my car back from Lexus today, I was told that the top mount suspension has gone, hence me hearing the groaning. They are ordering the part and will fit and replace for free due to being under warranty.

The anti roll bar fault is common and I wouldnt worry too much if it happens again the future as it take 15 mins to fix. The ARB plate that hold the bushes to the subframe seem to wash out any grease and cause the noise. As long as they are smothered in red rubber grease or similar, that issue wont reappear as I've seen people use spray greases etc. which eventually wash/wear away after a few months.