Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone interested in estimating the damage on our car by any chance? Pls don't ask what happened, but we're at fault and it wasn't me :wink3:. The other car (a neighbour) looks much worse, hence we'll probably have to go through insurance anyway. I've read a thing or two in other posts and understand if going through insurance you'd have to go with their repair centre. Different opinions on this as well, I know, but these would still have to use Lexus components (e.g. underrun, bumper) in case of needing replacement, right?

Grateful for your thoughts.

And for the insurance experts amongst us, apart from losing out of a year's no claims bonus, what would be the longer term (financial) implications as you'd still have to report any accidents up to 5 years when applying for quotations.

IMG_0434[1939].JPG

IMG_0435[1943].JPG

For perfection I would also go with 3K.

But if you attack that with some cutting compound it may not look so bad. From the photo most panel lines are as original.  Perhaps just a little flexible filler and an aerosol for a part of the car only directly viewed when on ones knees.

6 minutes ago, Friso said:

I'll go the insurance route then as it exceeds the excess by quite a bit. Many thanks for your responses!

You can choose any repair centre you like, even if you go through the insurer but you may have to pay a "non-approved repairer" excess which is usually around £250 on top of the excess you already have.

The front underrun is £500-700 alone as the black plastic bumper surround would also need changing as they come as 1 piece. 

Ultimately the total cost will depend on whether it is repaired or replaced. Personally, I would want it replaced so would be circa £3-5k. 

If repairing, shouldn't really be more than £1-2k 

On 25/02/2018 at 1:29 PM, rayaans said:

You can choose any repair centre you like, even if you go through the insurer but you may have to pay a "non-approved repairer" excess which is usually around £250 on top of the excess you already have.

The front underrun is £500-700 alone as the black plastic bumper surround would also need changing as they come as 1 piece. 

Ultimately the total cost will depend on whether it is repaired or replaced. Personally, I would want it replaced so would be circa £3-5k. 

If repairing, shouldn't really be more than £1-2k 

Appears my insurer doesn't require a "non-approved repairer" fee, hence best stick with Lexus. Their cost estimate comes in at about £2,300, hence seems reasonable. Thanks again!

• 3 months later...

All done now (last week). Some miscommunication between Lexus and the insurer meant that the approval for the repair didn't come through to Lexus. Anyway, wasn't in a hurry myself as the car was driveable. Got an NX to drive for the week, which was nice. Wouldn't trade it in though, the RX is by far superior as others have commented. Thanks again for your responses earlier and now hoping that next year's premium won't go through the roof!

IMG_0797[4236].JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

What an unusual plate. I can't say I've seen one like that before.

I haven't either, very unusual - what's the story Friso, if you don't mind us asking?

15 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

If you've got nothing else on @sorcerer have a browse through this and get back to us will you? I'd love to but I'm at work :rolleyes:

Nearest thing I can find in the time I've got is the Diplomatic Corps - been through everything else UK-related and nothing else comes close.

plates.jpg

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, sorcerer said:

I haven't either, very unusual - what's the story Friso, if you don't mind us asking?

Have a look here: http://nice-reg.co.uk/number-plates/number-plates/diplomatic-number-plates-embassy-plates.html

It's for non-diplomatic staff working (in my case) for an international organisation. I'll change it back though as insurers willing to provide insurance are few and far between. Admiral (who I was with originally) said they would but then conveniently changed their mind after I had gone through the process and was confirming the registration plate change, leaving me to find alternative insurance at about twice the cost (just before a Christmas trip to the continent)...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Used to see plenty of diplomatic plates whilst commuting into London down the M4/A4 way back when. All being ferried from Heathrow to the various embassies.

Not seen one on a private car not owned by a diplomat before. There was one particular big Merc that used to park up in the same place in the West End of London and attract parking tickets, but I bet none of them were ever paid. Diplomatic immunity... :-)