Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking at buying a Lexus IS250 SE-L

Hello,

It is my first post, so hopefully, I am in the right place. I am looking to upgrade my car, I currently own a Mini Cooper Park Lane. Its served me well but I have decided that I would like an upgrade. So I have come across a Lexus IS 250. I like them as they are different to everything really from the likes of the Germans, but its the reliability and the sheer amount of toys available that has truly wowed me.

So I am looking for some advice, I do about 6k miles a year and have a budget of £8k. I have been told to look for an SE-L model as this has the best selection of toys on it so to speak. Now can I ask what everyone gets roughly for MPG, the cost of a full tank of fuel, tyres, and service costs?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob, 

You won't regret it, they are brilliant cars and super smooth to drive. I roughly do 6k a year and own an 07 plate SEL auto with all the toys. I live in London and do a lot of start stop driving thus I usually get around 20mpg, even when I drive like a granny I only get a couple more mpg. 

On the motorway I have got about 40mpg. 

Servicing and tyres are reasonable if you shop around and use independent garages. 

Parts are expensive compared to other brands but the good news is that the IS250 is a very reliable car so other than wear and tear you won't be needing any (most of the time) 

You should be able to get a nice one for £8K. Yes, the SE-L is the most well-equipped model, but a pre-facelift F-Sport has almost all of the same equipment if you don't mind the alcantara seats and lowered & stiffer suspension.

I average about 30MPG in mine all year round doing a mixture of driving. Even at this time of year with lots of cold starts and idling whilst windows defrost etc, it's 25+ MPG easy.

A set of decent brand tyres will be about £400. Cost to fill is roughly £70 and servicing at a Lexus garage is £165 (minor) and £345 (major). It can be done cheaper elsewhere of course if maintaining FLSH isn't required. Spark plugs are recommended to be changed at 60K miles, and it can be an expensive job since part of the engine has to be dismantled for access.

Weak points on the car are the brake calipers, which are prone to sticking/seizing if not regularly maintained (greased), and the water pump can fail before 100k miles. Other than that, an IS250 is largely bulletproof and a pleasure to own. :smile:

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum. 

Congratulations on purchasing probably the best all round and most reliable car Lexus ever made. 

You won't be disappointed with the IS250 SE-L.  It has everything you need and more.

You can easily achieve 40mpg + on a motorway run on cruise but expect around 25mpg around town and probably less during winter.

As mentioned the calipers are prone to seizing (rears especially) and need a good greasing every 6-12 months. My local Toyota dealership does this for me at every service for me at no extra cost.

The IS250 also likes regular oil changes and mine gets changed every 5k but some might say that's overkill. 

I really can't praise this car enough and it's just so nice to be driving something different and rare to everybody else who are driving about in their bmw, Audi and Mercedes. 

Oh and the V6 sound is to die for 😉

I like your thinking there fella! You have decided to purchase a fantastic car ( not that I'm bias!) yes it may cost a bit more to run than some other cars out there but the sublime enjoyment from the pure luxury is great! Unless you are really really unlucky you should'nt be spending much on parts and you are gonna get a lot of car for your budget! Don't be put off by any cars you look at that have poor finish on the lacquer on the alloy wheels , there were cars getting their wheels changed under warranty because of this and sometimes more than once! Could be a good bargaining tool.

you are right about the toys, my 11 year old 250 SE-L has got radar cruise, voice control of entertainment and realtime traffic SatNav!!!

Paul M.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am just looking on Autotrader now. Or could anyone recommend anywhere else?

Ideally I am looking for one with black leather, but it’s not the end of the world, as the cream looks nice.

+1 on choosing the Black leather, it is not going to show any let's say marks as quickly as say the Beige! And for me personally it looks more luxurious than the grey! Dunno if it's true but I'm LED to believe that the black leather was the thickest and therefore more durable of all the colours!

have you seen the pre-purchase tips here 

paul m.

21 minutes ago, Texas said:

+1 on choosing the Black leather, it is not going to show any let's say marks as quickly as say the Beige! And for me personally it looks more luxurious than the grey! Dunno if it's true but I'm led to believe that the black leather was the thickest and therefore more durable of all the colours!

have you seen the pre-purchase tips here 

paul m.

There are a few black leather ones on Autotrader but they have high mileage, so I may wait a little bit. Yes I’ve seen that. I have bookmarked it.

2 hours ago, Texas said:

Dunno if it's true but I'm led to believe that the black leather was the thickest and therefore more durable of all the colours!

Don't know about the thickest, but it definitely most durable. As well when it comes to used cars I tend to prefer black or dark colour leather - I understand that light colours looks cool in new car, but with something 60k+ miles it just going to show more marks and be harder to look after. 

I have literally paid premium to get mine in Black + Black option and SE-L. As for F-Sport, you would as well lose seat ventilation and rear electronic sun-blind, I am not sure about stiffer suspension - that seems to be true for US/EU model, but as far as I know suspension on F-Sport is identical to SE-L in UK. Maybe there is some difference from year to year, but the only difference seems to be cosmetic, alcantara seats without ventilation, intake sound amplifier.. and that is pretty much it. Other thing, not sure if you interested in convertible, but the easiest way to find fully loaded SE-L with Radar cruise is to look for IS250C SE-L.

I just bought one after months looking at BMW's,audi's,and Volvo's........

It's 12 years old mind,but it's the SE-L with 65k on the clock

Paid just over £4000

And it's bloody gorgeous....😊😊😊😊😊

Do it,do it,do it,do it,

8CBCBCAB-7A9C-4DAE-B1D4-38440733EA71.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimjamjohnny said:

I just bought one after months looking at BMW's,audi's,and Volvo's........

It's 12 years old mind,but it's the SE-L with 65k on the clock

Paid just over £4000

And it's bloody gorgeous....😊😊😊😊😊

Do it,do it,do it,do it,

8CBCBCAB-7A9C-4DAE-B1D4-38440733EA71.jpeg

That is lovely.

Just a point Rob but the links that you have posted have got your ( I guess Home address) postcode showing in them! Try and edit to change for the ads Without logging into Autotrader if you don't want it shown.

paul m.

I would add, that knowing Lexus reliability you should take advantage of maybe newer, but higher miles cars (or just higher mileage cars in general) with full service history. Most people got scared seeing cars over 60k, but the thing is that when looking at Lexus, high miles does not mean much problem, provided there is service history. As well higher miles cars tend to be driven more on motorway rather than city, which is a lot less punishing then start and stop traffic.

42 minutes ago, Texas said:

Just a point Rob but the links that you have posted have got your ( I guess Home address) postcode showing in them! Try and edit to change for the ads Without logging into Autotrader if you don't want it shown.

paul m.

Thanks Paul, you have to put a postcode in , it’s just my road postcode. 

13 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I would add, that knowing Lexus reliability you should take advantage of maybe newer, but higher miles cars (or just higher mileage cars in general) with full service history. Most people got scared seeing cars over 60k, but the thing is that when looking at Lexus, high miles does not mean much problem, provided there is service history. As well higher miles cars tend to be driven more on motorway rather than city, which is a lot less punishing then start and stop traffic.

That’s good to know, which out of the ones listed on Autotrader would you look at?

To be honest neither...Obviously, I am not the best person to ask as I would ultimately make comparison with my own car.

The one for £7985 is very overpriced, as well cream leather would be showstopper for me. That is very personal and if you don't mind the cream leather you can try to negotiate the price at least by £2000 on it (which is basically impossible). 

The second one is early model and again I feel it is overpriced, I would probably pick the second one out of two. But now making comparison with my own car it would make no sense as being reasonable I would expect only ~£2500 for my 2008 and 175k miles SE-L. so for £3100 it is actually older... yes with less miles... but mine has much nicer rims and is pretty much sorted to the last nut and bolt.

For some perspective I paid £3950 for mine in April 2014, with 112k miles on the clock, so that is nearly 4 years now... and I would expect those 2 cars you posted to be respectively priced at maybe £5500 and £4000 respectively, if not less. Same week as I got mine I missed black SE-L with sunroof and 18 inch rims for £3600 which had 90k miles... literally came to look at it but somebody had already left deposit.

It is funny because I have recently I got insurance renewal and they indicatively valued my car at £3790, which in one hand is much more then I would expect the car to be worth, but at the same time looked what would happen if I would say "write-off" my car and would need to replace it like for like... for £3790 there are no car even close to mine and I looked to the same cars as you and came to conclusion that to replace my car like for like I would need at least £5000-6000. Obviously, my search is limited by 2 exterior colours - black and dark blue metallic and only black interior. There are plenty grey cars with cream interior... but I never liked grey or cream. I would not be fussed with ML or Sat-Nav, but ideally would like car with sunroof. Now that is personal again, but I consider standard 13-speakers system to be just marginally worse then 14 speakers ML in best of conditions and probably even on par when listening music from junk source like mp3 (had both ML and non-ML cars in the past). I consider Sat-Nav on Lexus (an to be honest almost any car from that era) a total waste of time - any cheap phone with free app would run circles around built-in sat-nav.

In conclusion, literally I cannot find a single SE-L at the moment which I would be able to actually recommend. If you not in rush I would advise to wait for month or 2 and monitor new cars coming in. Eventually someone will sell right car for right price, I was looking for mine ~4 months, when in single week 2 SE-L's with black on black dropped... Sadly I picked-up the worse of two, still very happy - especially considering the current choice :whistling:

+1 on waiting for the 'One' to come along, peaches do come up every now and again so make sure you have signed up for email notifications from auto trader with your specs. 

Paul m.

Yes indeed. As well it states ACC/PCS and sunroof, but has neither ACC/PCS, nor sunroof. Which is strange to say the least..

And one last thing - when you see the SE-L you like.. even if it is totally overpriced - go and see it, drive it - so when the right one comes-up you will know exactly what to look for and what to expect, if needed for negotiation. You will get sort of perspective and it will be less impulsive and more informative buy. e.g. my current IS is my third mk2 which I actually own after 2012 F-Sport and 2010 AWD SE-L.

An AWD one now that sounds special. But I think I will go and viewa few as that grey one is not that far. There is also another one on Autotrader 06 plate with 25k for just over £6K.

I am fussy when it comes to buying cars and it took me over 6 months to find the one I bought. Searching Autotrader, Gumtree etc.

I live in Cardiff and went to view and drive one in Bristol which was  a tad over priced.

I walked away and drove to Leicester the same day to see another one of similar miles (52K) but when I got there the condition wasn't a patch on the one in Bristol.

Luckily, while I was sat in the car in Leicester I git a call from the dealer in Bristol offering me a better deal so I bought it.

I was talked into the biscuit coloured interior by a friend who has one and I much prefer it to the black.

What colour car did I buy? I wasn't that fussed on colour but I'm really pleased I ended up with a red one. It looks stunning in the sunshine when clean and the metal fleck really shines.

I bought it almost exactly a year ago and 20K miles later its had a set of tyres (Dunlop Sport BluResponse- it came on winters) plus a further tyre due to a puncture, a water pump (did it myself in an afternoon and it cost £115 (Lexus quoted £550) and some rear brake pads at £30 (I think) which I fitted in about an hour or so.

I've had an XFS Jag and top of the range Skoda Superb before the IS250 and I can honestly say its better than Skoda's best and not far off the XFS.

It's averaging 34.8MPG on my regular commute (mostly motorway) and is a real stressbuster.

Mine did have the dashboard creak but that was sorted when the dealer did the airbag and I got them to change the clips holding the dashboard (£25).

Highly recommended car but make sure you find the right one and if creaks bother you make sure its been fixed. Also get the exhaust checked before you buy as they are very cotly to replace (see the buyers guide)

Good luck and enjoy. 

IMG_20171119_151618159_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tyre Tread said:

I am fussy when it comes to buying cars and it took me over 6 months to find the one I bought. Searching Autotrader, Gumtree etc.

I live in Cardiff and went to view and drive one in Bristol which was  a tad over priced.

I walked away and drove to Leicester the same day to see another one of similar miles (52K) but when I got there the condition wasn't a patch on the one in Bristol.

Luckily, while I was sat in the car in Leicester I git a call from the dealer in Bristol offering me a better deal so I bought it.

I was talked into the biscuit coloured interior by a friend who has one and I much prefer it to the black.

What colour car did I buy? I wasn't that fussed on colour but I'm really pleased I ended up with a red one. It looks stunning in the sunshine when clean and the metal fleck really shines.

I bought it almost exactly a year ago and 20K miles later its had a set of tyres (Dunlop Sport BluResponse- it came on winters) plus a further tyre due to a puncture, a water pump (did it myself in an afternoon and it cost £115 (Lexus quoted £550) and some rear brake pads at £30 (I think) which I fitted in about an hour or so.

I've had an XFS Jag and top of the range Skoda Superb before the IS250 and I can honestly say its better than Skoda's best and not far off the XFS.

It's averaging 34.8MPG on my regular commute (mostly motorway) and is a real stressbuster.

Mine did have the dashboard creak but that was sorted when the dealer did the airbag and I got them to change the clips holding the dashboard (£25).

Highly recommended car but make sure you find the right one and if creaks bother you make sure its been fixed. Also get the exhaust checked before you buy as they are very cotly to replace (see the buyers guide)

Good luck and enjoy. 

IMG_20171119_151618159_HDR.jpg

That looks lovely. I have not seen one in that colour. Very nice.