Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking at buying a Lexus IS250 SE-L

On 3/15/2018 at 7:55 PM, Eame64 said:

On 3/13/2018 at 8:31 PM, is200 Newbie said:

Some below - you may have seen these ...?

Heres one to definitely avoid - I could not believe the MOT history on this one ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Lexus-IS-250-2-5-SE-L-4dr/182965025130?hash=item2a9990b96a:g:1FkAAOSwuTtZ2LPp

This reads like it has been under water due to corrosion over floorpan and suspension components

On 3/13/2018 at 8:31 PM, is200 Newbie said:

So that IS with the horrendous looking corrosion history ( according to MOT History) could very well been in a flood situation ( there have been many in this country recently and Lexus are not gonna be excempt from this!) or the owner lived on the Seafront somewhere, eitherway it is not very good reading.

Paul m.

Or could it just be one of those mot testers who thinks it's necessary to list everything even if it has no bearing or consequence on the outcome of the mot test itself???Bet  its  been tested by the same garage and same person on each occasion,there are testers who list everything eg plastic covers fitted obstructing view,child seat 💺 fitted affecting testing seat belts,oil leak in engine etc,etc,etc

2 minutes ago, scudney said:

Or could it just be one of those mot testers who thinks it's necessary to list everything even if it has no bearing or consequence on the outcome of the mot test itself, bet  its  been tested by the same garage and same person on each occasion???

My thoughts exactly. My wife's Audi had an over zealous tester reporting surface corroded this and surface corroded that and it made it really difficult to sell.

Fact of the matter is that it was no worse than most vehicles on the road which all have some surface corrosion on components underneath the vehicle. It was just an over zealous tester.

I mentioned it to the local garage owner who apologised and said the tester was no longer with them. From the way he spoke I suspect that was the reason.

So I wouldn't write it off but I would check it VERY carefully and specifically ask if it had been involved in a flooding incident.

Guest rdb85

So a dealer mate of mine had managed to get this:

250SE-L on a 58 plate with 51,000 miles and 9 MAIN LEXUS stamps. Car is in BLACK with full BLACK interior. I will be looking to retail at £7487

So I am just waiting for him to come back to me, so fingers crossed its a good one :)

It does sound expensive - have you checked this against the book price

I guess its worth to you what you are willing to pay...... there are things you need to look out for - do you have the registration number?

the members on here can help you out a lot  ... Is it a manual / has it got the ML system?

Sounds like this is a dealer price ?

Guest rdb85
3 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

It does sound expensive - have you checked this against the book price

I guess its worth to you what you are willing to pay...... there are things you need to look out for - do you have the registration number?

the members on here can help you out a lot  ... Is it a manual / has it got the ML system?

Sounds like this is a dealer price ?

I thought it sounded okay. I have asked for the Reg and whether it’s an auto or manual and the spec. What would you pay as it’s the price he’s offered but I could see if I could do a deal 

Just for comparison, my car bought two weeks ago from a Lexus dealer was £7495. It's a 2009 SE-L Multimedia Auto but one of the last pre facelift models.57000 miles, Argento Ice with beautiful virtually unmarked grey leather interior. They put 2 new rear calipers on, the last and only owner had had the wheels refurbished and had replaced the rear silencers and y pipe.

!2 months MOT and a year of Lexus + warranty which includes breakdown and Lexus assist. They also paid for a new Battery when I pointed out that it was pushing 10 years old and a bit weak.

So the moral I suppose is, don't automatically assume that a car from the Lexus network is going to be overpriced and a bad deal.

I forgot to add that the car had 9 service stamps, all from the supplying dealer and the car had had the plugs changed at the 6 year service so it does not need them changing at 60k. They also serviced it before the sale to me !

• Like 1

Guest rdb85
9 minutes ago, bernieeccles said:

I forgot to add that the car had 9 service stamps, all from the supplying dealer and the car had had the plugs changed at the 6 year service so it does not need them changing at 60k. They also serviced it before the sale to me !

I have asked them to send over the reg and some pictures. He did say it had 9 Lexus dealer stamps. I will see what they can offer, they are a dealer, but not a Lexus main dealer, so I may try and haggle a little.

2 hours ago, bernieeccles said:

Just for comparison, my car bought two weeks ago from a Lexus dealer was £7495. It's a 2009 SE-L Multimedia Auto but one of the last pre facelift models.57000 miles, Argento Ice with beautiful virtually unmarked grey leather interior. They put 2 new rear calipers on, the last and only owner had had the wheels refurbished and had replaced the rear silencers and y pipe.

!2 months MOT and a year of Lexus + warranty which includes breakdown and Lexus assist. They also paid for a new battery when I pointed out that it was pushing 10 years old and a bit weak.

So the moral I suppose is, don't automatically assume that a car from the Lexus network is going to be overpriced and a bad deal.

Given all those factors and that you got the 2009 facelift, 7.5K sounds very fair to me. The MY2008 for sale is a bit overpriced unless there are factors like warranty and condition that we don't know about.

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

Given all those factors and that you got the 2009 facelift, 7.5K sounds very fair to me. The MY2008 for sale is a bit overpriced unless there are factors like warranty and condition that we don't know about.

Mine was a pre facelift.

Guest rdb85

So I have emailed the dealer, he said that the car, was to order for me, as I know that he sources a lot of nice cars, so he would need a deposit before he pays for it from the dealer. But he has not sent any pictures or even the reg. I understand where he is coming from, but I don't want to pay a deposit and the car is no good.

pay a deposit of something you have not seen? if it's as good as his says then he'll have no problem getting rid of it will he?

paul m.

I hope you are not considering this? :wallbash:

You said he was your mate ???? - why wont he at least give you the registration? It wont show where the car is being sold from (unless its already in the market place, eBay or autotrader and recognisable) ... the reg will give you an insight on how the car has been looked after if you do a search through the Gov web site. Surely you would want to see the pictures of the condition of the car and what spec it is - auto / manual / modded / cat C or D repaired .....?????

Guest rdb85

I know lads I am a bit worried myself. I have said I will call into his dealership on Saturday. Hopefully he can give me the Reg and some pictures. But I can’t see what’s the big deal as he’s getting from a main dealer, then selling it on. But even if he’s making a bit then that’s fine, but to not give me the Reg is rather a worrying sign. 

Guest rdb85
35 minutes ago, is200 Newbie said:

.... and on another aspect of him not giving you the reg.. how can you get an accurate insurance quote?

Exactly, hopefully I get it sorted on the weekend, but things like the Reg and pictures are needed. As no one is going to buy the car blind.