Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking at buying a Lexus IS250 SE-L

Looks ok - again, to get an idea on how the cars been looked after ask for the reg then check this against the MOT history at

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Remember, if you are looking at it, at the end of the day its a 13 year old car so the basic checks apply. The plugs should have been changed at 60k on this so check these have been done - the garage states that the disks and pads have been done which to be honest is not a big job. Ask them if they have done the brake shoes (on the rears) and if they state it does not have any then do check the discs have been done as the shoes live inside the discs and quite evident to the person replacing the rear discs (Have heard of this before before where the garage has said brake discs done have been replaced and said it did not have shoes? gotta question if they really done it)

Another thing to check is the rear screen heater for hanging wires on the window - found this on mine though plan to fix but if not used for a while then on an old car they can become brittle and fail and I think the radio ariel is part of that system.

Consider the exhaust system will be due for replacement so if you can get it looked at for rust

These things are bargaining chips - let us know the reg if you get it

Colour could be an acquired taste but if it ain't too far then I suggest going and standing in front of it! 

The car 'looks' ok but really need to get up close and personal, mileage is low for year but 4 owners is a bit of a negative ( for me anyway)

we all know how well built and reliable these are so if it drives straight and doesn't make any undue noises then the price ( with a bit of haggling of course ) seems about right for a dealer. 2 keys is good point ( so can't chip price on that score) 

paul m.

dont forget the buyers guide for an aide memoir ( print it out and take it with you!) and any points not upto standard can possibly be used in the haggle conversation! But we also know descent SE-L's don't  sit around long on forecourts! And it's got the black interior ( only choice in my book)

Hi all.

They both look ok baring in mind the age and mileage is not too high.:smile:

It's a case off you pays your money and takes your chance which ever one you decide it's your decision and no one can tell you otherwise we can all just advise you and wish you well with what ever you decide to get.

65mike:smile:

Guest rdb85
1 hour ago, 65mike said:

Hi all.

They both look ok baring in mind the age and mileage is not too high.:smile:

It's a case off you pays your money and takes your chance which ever one you decide it's your decision and no one can tell you otherwise we can all just advise you and wish you well with what ever you decide to get.

65mike:smile:

Thanks Mike, ideally I would like that Black on Black Lexus, little bit too high I think. The Gold one I quite like, I’m just waiting on details so I will let you guys know. I think I maybe better getting a slightly cheaper and older car. As my budget is around £7500. Then at least I have some money aside for any work needed. 

1 hour ago, rdb85 said:

Thanks Mike, ideally I would like that Black on Black Lexus, little bit too high I think. The Gold one I quite like, I’m just waiting on details so I will let you guys know. I think I maybe better getting a slightly cheaper and older car. As my budget is around £7500. Then at least I have some money aside for any work needed. 

Would suggest that is a good tactic....also consider getting one inside the 10 year old mark and below 140k miles budget for £795 to get the two year Lexus extended warranty.

That way you are covered for any major mishaps.  I think, even though these cars are bullet proof, is a sound investment.

IS & IS-F 24 months £795.00 £66.25

Guest rdb85
1 hour ago, KenMavor said:

Would suggest that is a good tactic....also consider getting one inside the 10 year old mark and below 140k miles budget for £795 to get the two year Lexus extended warranty.

That way you are covered for any major mishaps.  I think, even though these cars are bullet proof, is a sound investment.

IS & IS-F 24 months £795.00 £66.25

That’s not that bad for a 2 year warranty. I’m going to see what comes back about the gold one. But I would rather wait for a localish one to come up. Rather than a 3 hour drive to go see one and it’s rubbish.

Top looking motor there, full of toys ( inc sunroof) but top money, compared to IS but different car really.

Don't know much/anything about hybrid pre-purchase pointers.

paul m.

Guest rdb85

So a local dealer by mine sent me this: IS 250 SE-I. 76,000 miles on a 59 plate. Sky blue with black leather. £6987. No pictures as of yet also asked him for a complete spec.

Tell him you want to get in front of it soon as!  You don't have to buy it but try and be first in the queue!

just noticed is it an SE-I or an SE-L as the letter can get lost in translation sometimes ( mostly an i gets confused with an L funny enough!)

model specs here:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/lexus/is-2005/?section=history

paul m.

Guest rdb85
5 hours ago, Texas said:

Tell him you want to get in front of it soon as!  You don't have to buy it but try and be first in the queue!

just noticed is it an SE-I or an SE-L as the letter can get lost in translation sometimes ( mostly an i gets confused with an L funny enough!)

model specs here:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/lexus/is-2005/?section=history

paul m.

Thanks for that Paul, I am hoping it an SE-L, but he has not responded to my email. So I will wait and see what he comes back with. 

Guest rdb85

So the Lexus was missing it’s service history and it didn’t have the sat nav or ML stereo. Oh well I will keep looking.

High price is simply because stupid-low mileage. I would look to such a low mileage for such an old car as a negative thing. ML and MM are not that important and doesn't really impact used prices. If I woudl be looking for SE-L I would care about them least. Standard 13 speakers provides more then adequate sound, MM on IS Mk2 is pretty poor - cannot say I ever miss it in mine.

I'd buy that today if I had the spare cash. It's in virtually new condition and going on the MOT history it's done just enough per year to keep everything fresh. Not sure if it's standard but I'd expect a full year's warranty too. And the tracking and balancing sorted. MOT history also implies the previous owner liked kerbs.

Nice car shame the price is a bit steep. Your probably paying towards the warranty as well. I would have liked the sat nav etc for that price. Looks ok from a distance but the car cleaner in me sees dirty exhaust tips so with a good detail the car would look lovely. I'd also bin the wood trim

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No ML or SatNav also means no reverse camera, no phone and no voice control features. This would not be acceptable for me anyway when choosing a Luxurious motor. Yes mileage is low but price is high for what you are getting.

This car was registered on 19 March 2008 so unless it is currently under an extended warranty contract ( which can be renewed) it is Too old to Take one out now! By day's I know but the stipulation is tens years max ( to the day )

also history also mentions damage to windscreen in Zone A, if not still there then may have had the screen changed!

paul m

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links