Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking at buying a Lexus IS250 SE-L

Guest rdb85
10 hours ago, Texas said:

No ML or SatNav also means no reverse camera, no phone and no voice control features. This would not be acceptable for me anyway when choosing a Luxurious motor. Yes mileage is low but price is high for what you are getting.

This car was registered on 19 March 2008 so unless it is currently under an extended warranty contract ( which can be renewed) it is Too old to Take one out now! By day's I know but the stipulation is tens years max ( to the day )

also history also mentions damage to windscreen in Zone A, if not still there then may have had the screen changed!

paul m

Thanks, Paul, I think I may leave that one, it's a nice car, but I think that it would have to have the MM pack. Especially when looking for a new motor.

Have you actually used Lexus MM? It is pretty awkward to say the least and I cannot say I have ever missed it (especially one on pre-2013 cars), Sat-Nav on phone can run circles around it.

For 8 grand I'd be chuffed about picking up an as-new V6 petrol with the build quality Lexus are known for. Really not bothered about the bells and whistles. Left all that behind when I stopped buying new cars for myself. I found that the focus was too much on piano black trim and widescreen media players rather than if the car was worth driving.

Guest rdb85
4 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Have you actually used Lexus MM? It is pretty awkward to say the least and I cannot say I have ever missed it (especially one on pre-2013 cars), Sat-Nav on phone can run circles around it.

I haven’t but I think it’s a nice option especially the reversing camera, the sat nav can be updated. Google Maps is probably better but your not using up data in the cars built on one.

Yes, you would need MM for camera - though I don't really miss the rear view camera. Maps can updated-up to the certain point, but the issue is not with maps being out of date, much more with the speed of navigation, routing and alternative routing algorithm, but most importantly real-time data. It depends why you use GPS... I personally know exactly where I am going without GPS, the only reason why I would ever use GPS is to avoid traffic jams and to get best real time routing - built in MM provides neither. It is good for general sense of direction e.g. if you driving from London to Paris it will show which way Paris is... except of that pretty useless. I had MM in my previous F-Sport, but I just found it too frustrating to use... and I have used it probably 2 times in the beginning, but later it was just faster to put postcode in the phone - which would provide much faster and more accurate routes. As well there are 100s of free apps where you can download any maps for free and which don't use data.

This one is quite high miles, but that would be the car I would get, right colour inside-out, MM, nice rims from F-sport... sadly no Sunroof, but not the worst trade off:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-LEXUS-IS250-SE-L-AUTO-BLACK-ON-BLACK-Top-Spec-F-S-H/232726784263?hash=item362f98e907:g:lkMAAOSwf-tarjJe

Probably would raise few points regarding cosmetic issue e.g. front lip ~£150-off. As well wrong Battery fitted - not necessary owners fault - might be halfrauds jobbie.  As well wheel caps are missing ... big deal £30. My offer would be £3500 and I would settle for £3600. The advert states ONO, but I am certain that in person after making reasonable observation some sort of deal would be doable.

Generally, speaking I don't see the point of getting latter years mk2. So either getting 2006 pre-facelift or if not then 2011 facelift. The SE-Ls for 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 all are identical, so getting newer doesn't really improves anything. I guess 2009 is the last one to get extended warranty on if thats your thing, but except of that (and some very minor tweaks) identical.

Guest rdb85
12 hours ago, Linas.P said:

This one is quite high miles, but that would be the car I would get, right colour inside-out, MM, nice rims from F-sport... sadly no Sunroof, but not the worst trade off:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-LEXUS-IS250-SE-L-AUTO-BLACK-ON-BLACK-Top-Spec-F-S-H/232726784263?hash=item362f98e907:g:lkMAAOSwf-tarjJe

Probably would raise few points regarding cosmetic issue e.g. front lip ~£150-off. As well wrong battery fitted - not necessary owners fault - might be halfrauds jobbie.  As well wheel caps are missing ... big deal £30. My offer would be £3500 and I would settle for £3600. The advert states ONO, but I am certain that in person after making reasonable observation some sort of deal would be doable.

Generally, speaking I don't see the point of getting latter years mk2. So either getting 2006 pre-facelift or if not then 2011 facelift. The SE-Ls for 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 all are identical, so getting newer doesn't really improves anything. I guess 2009 is the last one to get extended warranty on if thats your thing, but except of that (and some very minor tweaks) identical.

Thanks for that, I am going to keep a lookout for 2009 one, just for the warranty. I think it is just for peace of mind, as I know the cars are very reliable. As I want to buy something which is still a lot of money to myself, with the assurance that I won't really need to spend any money on the car, not in the first year hopefully. So I am just keeping an eye out, as I am in no rush to just go and buy one, I would rather get the right one. 

I am not trying to talk you out of it, but all depends on calculation e.g. Lets say you get 2009 car for £7000 + £795 for extended warranty.. so ~£8000. Or you can get the car for £3600 and keep £4400 in case of brakedown. I cannot imagine something going so wrong with IS250 that it would cost £4400... to be honest it doesn't even make sense as you can buy second car for the price. If that would be like GS450h... then yes I would be little worried, expensive suspension issues, Battery issues can cost £1000 each, but even on GS in most unfortunate of the circumstances you would have money to fix it and would have still have money to spare. On IS250 there are nothing to go wrong which is expensive - even if you somehow manage to get engine blown-up ... that is fixable in the range of £1000-£1500.

So.. I appreciate piece of mind but I would use "threat level" when making decision:

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "high risk and high impact matrix"

For IS250 for most of likely issues the impact is trivial or minor, the only high impact issue I can imagine is engine and gearbox, but such issue are so rare that I would not even bother. Effectively, you have no risk of spending more even if you choose to go for unwarranted car - even in worst case scenario would have money to spare after fixing it.

Now again ... it is just me. I had 3 IS250's an I have complete confidence buying these cars, extended warranty is always good thing for peace of mind, but you need to do some math to see if the extra price is worth it.

Just to simplify what I said above - there is certain risk buying car without warranty, but that risk can be quantified and the price can be put on it. So if the risk is £2000 and the difference between 2008 car and 2009 car is £200, then get 2009, because even after paying for extended warranty you still reduce you risk cost by £1000. But if the cost difference between 2006 and 2009 car is £4000, either way you count you going to loose money going with 2009, because you cost difference exceed your risk cost.

Guest rdb85
1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Just to simplify what I said above - there is certain risk buying car without warranty, but that risk can be quantified and the price can be put on it. So if the risk is £2000 and the difference between 2008 car and 2009 car is £200, then get 2009, because even after paying for extended warranty you still reduce you risk cost by £1000. But if the cost difference between 2006 and 2009 car is £4000, either way you count you going to loose money going with 2009, because you cost difference exceed your risk cost.

I see what you're saying. I am just waiting for one to come up quite local, as I have not driven one yet, mileage doesnt really matter as from what I have seen, most get services done by Lexus. My ideal colour is Black with Black leather. 

If you buy an extended warranty, I presume that you are then locked into having it serviced (expensively) at a Lexus dealer? If extended for two years, then 2 services which could add a good few hundred to the equation..

I got my 250 last August and it had Lexus service history for the last 10 years, I do not have an extended Lexus warranty or any other type of warranty and from now on the car will be (regularly ) serviced by myself! I have never had a warranty on a car in all my years of motoring ( since 1980) and don't intend buying one after getting what is one of, if not the most, reliable cars I know of!

In my motoring lifetime I have never managed to actually sell a car on after I have had it, they have either been scrapped due to mot repairs outweighing value (Vauxhall  Senator) , Traded in through Gov 'Scrappage' scheme ( Ford Mondeo) or written off due to others inability to Drive to the rules! (Another Mondeo!) so working on that theory If it is upto me then this 250 should last a fair old while and like the others I don't intend selling it but using to the end of its days, so main dealer servicing would not be viable ( for me anyway) from now on.

you can juggle the figures all day long and even put some money in a jar for if/when it needs repairing but it all depends on your ethos on these situations and I for one do not indulge insurance/warranty companies and will just pay my way when required.

this is just my viewpoint and each to their own but at the end of any insurance/warranty period if Nothing has gone wrong then that premium payment would irk me somewhat.

paul m.

• Like 2

When it comes to warranty it really depends on the car e.g. I was considering one GS450h 2012, but it had 144k miles, so reasonably new car, all Lexus history, but no longer eligible for warranty due to the mileage and for that specific car warranty was massive consideration e.g. it had LED headlights, if one bulb goes you have to replace whole unit for £1400, if hybrid system goes it again can be anywhere between £1500-3000... and when car was £13750, that was too big of a gamble. 

However, for IS250 there are nothing expensive to fail, except extreme ultimate things like engine. I have full history on my car and nothing ever went wrong over all the year. Yes in 4 years I had A/C pump failing, but again that was because of wrong service and not because of inherent weakness... and it costed me £350 to sort it, not something to break the budget and in comparison I would have spent £1600 for warranty in that period . All other thing  were all wear an tear and standard service schedule items, not covered under warranty anyway. And even though car is no longer eligible for anything I continue servicing it on Lexus service plan... just because it is so reliable and gives me no worries or expenses.. - I can treat it a bit :smile:  

Guest rdb85
1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

When it comes to warranty it really depends on the car e.g. I was considering one GS450h 2012, but it had 144k miles, so reasonably new car, all Lexus history, but no longer eligible for warranty due to the mileage and for that specific car warranty was massive consideration e.g. it had LED headlights, if one bulb goes you have to replace whole unit for £1400, if hybrid system goes it again can be anywhere between £1500-3000... and when car was £13750, that was too big of a gamble. 

However, for IS250 there are nothing expensive to fail, except extreme ultimate things like engine. I have full history on my car and nothing ever went wrong over all the year. Yes in 4 years I had A/C pump failing, but again that was because of wrong service and not because of inherent weakness... and it costed me £350 to sort it, not something to break the budget and in comparison I would have spent £1600 for warranty in that period . All other thing  were all wear an tear and standard service schedule items, not covered under warranty anyway. And even though car is no longer eligible for anything I continue servicing it on Lexus service plan... just because it is so reliable and gives me no worries or expenses.. - I can treat it a bit :smile:  

Funny you mention a GS450h as my dad is looking at one, I think he’s definitely best getting one under warranty. As I say I’m keeping an eye out for the right one. It will come eventually.

I would definitely consider extended warranty for any mk3 GS450h, not so much for mk4. But again the best time to get the warranty is just before either 10 years or 140k miles, that is because Lexus cars are known to survive both these limits quite well. There is obviously reason why Lexus specifically set those limits - probably they think themselves that cars above these limits are more at risk. Getting warranty, at 139k miles or 9 years, 11 months you are kind of cheating T&C's and getting best value for warranty money. 

Guest rdb85
17 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I would definitely consider extended warranty for any mk3 GS450h, not so much for mk4. But again the best time to get the warranty is just before either 10 years or 140k miles, that is because Lexus cars are known to survive both these limits quite well. There is obviously reason why Lexus specifically set those limits - probably they think themselves that cars above these limits are more at risk. Getting warranty, at 139k miles or 9 years, 11 months you are kind of cheating T&C's and getting best value for warranty money. 

My dad is looking at one, but most are out of warranty as I have found out Lexus are quite strict with the dates. 

Confused by all this talk of warranties. I assumed any used Lexus bought through their dealer network came with one? My IS300 was bought from Lexus Sheffield last year with a full year's warranty. The car was registered December 2002 and had 54k on the clock.

Lexus dealerships usually gives 1-year limited third party "sales" warranty. That is not Lexus, nor Lexus extended warranty - it only protects you from some most basic and obvious faults. Here is example of "Lexus Silver Warranty" provided by "Crystalclear":

Silver Cover – Available on ALL vehicles

Depending on the terms, conditions, general exclusions and claim limits shown in this document, the Silver Guarantee will cover the cost of repairing or replacing any of the parts of your vehicle that are listed below and that have failed as a result of a mechanical or electrical fault. Automatic transmission Gears, torque convertor, clutches, brake bands, oil pumps, shafts, bearings, shims, valves, governors and servos. Brakes Master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake calipers and vacuum servo. Differential assembly and final drive Crown wheel and pinion, planet gears, bearings, shims, driveshafts, driveshaft bearings, CV joints, universal joints, drive flanges and wheel bearings. Electrics Alternator, ignition coil, horn, starter motor, cooling-fan motor, screen-wiper motors, screen washer pumps, indicator switch, brake-light switch and fuel-tank sender unit. Engine Cylinder block, cylinder head, rocker assembly, hydraulic lifters, valves and guides (except carbonised, burnt or pitted valves), cylinder head gasket, pushrods, camshafts, camshaft bearings, camshaft followers, timing gears, timing chain or belt, oil pump, pistons, piston rings, cylinder bores, connecting rods and bearings, crankshafts and bearings, distributor drive gear, internal bushes, auto drive plate, flywheel and ring gear. Fuel system Fuel pump, fuel injection ECU, airflow meter, warm-up regulator and injectors. Heater and cooling system Radiator, oil cooler, water pump, thermostat and housing, cooling-fan motor and temperature sensors. Manual transmission Gears, shafts, bearings, shims, syncromesh hubs, selectors and extension shaft. Propshaft Universal joint and bearings. Steering Steering rack and pinion, steering box, idler box and power-steering pump.

Now that is if you buy car from dealer and if you negotiate the warranty, otherwise you get even more limited 1-3 months warranty. However, that is only from Lexus dealership and so far most cars discussed in this thread were not from Lexus dealership. You get 1 month statutory rights to return the car even when you buy it privately, hence you might be able to negotiate part or whole price of faults within 1 month to be covered by seller.

Finally, regardless where you bought your Lexus you are covered by 5 years 60k miles "manufacturers warranty" and can extend it to 10 years 140k miles "extended warranty", given you service your car at Lexus authorised service center. 

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Lexus dealerships usually gives 1-year limited third party "sales" warranty. That is not Lexus, nor Lexus extended warranty - it only protects you from some most basic and obvious faults. Here is example of "Lexus Silver Warranty" provided by "Crystalclear":

It depends if it is an official Lexus approved pre-owned vehicle or not.

All Approved Pre-Owned Lexus Car Warranties have the same level of cover as the Lexus new vehicle warranty, with the exception of batteries, interior trim and corroded exhausts. The exact level of cover is detailed on the reverse of the warranty application form and also within your handover pack you receive when purchasing your vehicle.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2018 at 12:28 PM, rdb85 said:

I see what you're saying. I am just waiting for one to come up quite local, as I have not driven one yet, mileage doesnt really matter as from what I have seen, most get services done by Lexus. My ideal colour is Black with Black leather. 

I have a 2009 (58 plate), facelift in dark grey/black leather. It’s on 96k and has full history, all but two at Lexus. I’m in Warrington if you want a test drive. I will be selling within the next three months but you’re welcome to come and take it for a drive regardless. I’m in Warrington, I remember seeing a post saying you were going to look at one there so I’m guessing you’re reasonably local. Give me a shout if you’re interested.