Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking at buying a Lexus IS250 SE-L

They are. And though they appear to be well made they're well made in terms of quality material, fit and finish rather than able to drive to the moon and back with little complaint. Active safety measures rather than steel girder solidity seems to be the order of the day too. An interesting statistic I came across last week was that nobody has ever died in an XC90 in the UK since the model was introduced in 2002. We're about to get rid of our XC90 family bus and that's a real pause for thought.

Anyway, sorry. Thread hijack. 

Guest rdb85
1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

They are. And though they appear to be well made they're well made in terms of quality material, fit and finish rather than able to drive to the moon and back with little complaint. Active safety measures rather than steel girder solidity seems to be the order of the day too. An interesting statistic I came across last week was that nobody has ever died in an XC90 in the UK since the model was introduced in 2002. We're about to get rid of our XC90 family bus and that's a real pause for thought.

It’s okay I’ve got a respect for Volvos especially some of its older model, a proper car so to say.

Apparently not just died but includes seriously injured also, takes some doing when 'we' end users smash the living day lights out of them every which way possible!

paul m.

2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

There was a V70 on the Volvo owners club with 700,000 miles.  Irv Gordon and his record breaking Volvo P1800 With 3 million miles.

1 hour ago, rdb85 said:

It’s okay I’ve got a respect for Volvos especially some of its older model, a proper car so to say.

Yes, sorry Volvo takeover.  Now owned by Geely, never had a 400series but had a 340. I like the older Volvos 240, 740, 940 as easy access in engine bay and simple to service. Modern enough to be a daily driver.

51 minutes ago, Texas said:

Apparently not just died but includes seriously injured also, takes some doing when 'we' end users smash the living day lights out of them every which way possible!

paul m.

Yes it's impressive. New Volvos scores fantastic in the new small overlap crash tests, which many other premium makes were poor.

For a few years I have always wanted a Lexus, liked the late 90's 200 series in dark green with cream interior. Also like the late 90's early 2000's land cruiser Colorado. In 2007 my grandparents bought a new LHD Toyota corolla 1.4D4D Linea techno trim when we lived in Normandy France for 7.5 years. 

James:thumbsup: 

5 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Nobody has ever died in a Qantas aircraft, so how about one of those Rich ?

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Nobody has ever died in a Qantas aircraft, so how about one of those Rich ?

VED is £535 

I don't care how safe it is, I'm not paying that.

4 minutes ago, rdb85 said:

Decided which car to go for after I have seen them today 😊

A Volvo?

Guest rdb85
3 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

VED is £535 

I don't care how safe it is, I'm not paying that.

A Volvo?

No not a Volvo although I do like them 

Guest rdb85
57 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Yep. 2010 F-Sport is basically SE-L spec.

So, you've bought one of the cars from BMC?

I have left a deposit, and I am selling my car to another dealer as I got a better offer so he’s paying me in cash. I’ve also got my finance loan sorted, so just waiting for that to come through.

23 hours ago, rdb85 said:

I have left a deposit, and I am selling my car to another dealer as I got a better offer so he’s paying me in cash. I’ve also got my finance loan sorted, so just waiting for that to come through.

Exciting stuff!:biggrin: When you have it bought, put us out of our misery!

James:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

On 24/04/2018 at 9:59 PM, J Henderson said:

Yep. 2010 F-Sport is basically SE-L spec.

How comes? From where I see it they are quite different, not saying that one is better then other, but certainly different :wacko:

I meant in terms of standard equipment. An early F-Sport is better-equipped than SE, SE-I, Advance etc and has nearly everything the SE-L has.

Rear blind, Ventilated seats, Radar cruise (option) are all I can think of. Obviously there are also cosmetic stuff like wood panels, trim colours etc, but anything else?

• Like 1

I think that is about it. Agree F-Sport is second best equipped model available. I personally prefer exterior cosmetic appearance, but I don't like UK spec. Alcantara seats (just to note - it is only in UK where Lexus use Alcantara).

Guest rdb85

So I have got my deposit back from BMC, I’ve decided to get one closer to home, and also for a bit less money. Due to financial circumstances.

12 hours ago, rdb85 said:

So I have got my deposit back from BMC, I’ve decided to get one closer to home, and also for a bit less money. Due to financial circumstances.

What happened to the deal with BMC?

He didn't want this thread to ever end :biggrin:

13 pages to get to nowhere.Has Rob passed his test ?

I`m not contributing to this thread anymore.  And his dad has still not got his intended GS450H !!

Guest rdb85
1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

13 pages to get to nowhere.Has Rob passed his test ?

I`m not contributing to this thread anymore.  And his dad has still not got his intended GS450H !!

Well it’s not got nowhere I’ve just had to look at financial situation at the moment as other things have taken priority unfortunately.

I passed my test 13 years ago 🤔

Does it matter that my Dad has not got a 450h yet? No it doesn’t. 

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I'm new to the forum.

I am also looking at buying an IS 250.  I'm currently in a dilemma between buying a newer car with higher mileage (2010-2011 with 100k) or slightly older 2006-2007 with lower mileage. Looking at a price range of £4000-6000.

If I buy the newer car with higher mileage it might have problems like the brake calipers sorter already, and possibly the carbon built up as well. 

If I buy older with lower mileage I'll probably have to look at an exhaust exchange brake calipers maybe other issues?

What do people think?

If anyone has one for sale let me know. 

Thanks. 

Brake calliper problem is now not a problem because you know about it, and carbon build up is not a big problem here, unlike in the US? As for exhausts then that can be a lottery on any car but the steel OEM on the IS does seem to last a lot longer than most.

lots of info here and spec history https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/lexus/is-2005/

paul m.

ps mine is not for sale.....

Hello,
I'm new to the forum.
I am also looking at buying an IS 250.  I'm currently in a dilemma between buying a newer car with higher mileage (2010-2011 with 100k) or slightly older 2006-2007 with lower mileage. Looking at a price range of £4000-6000.
If I buy the newer car with higher mileage it might have problems like the brake calipers sorter already, and possibly the carbon built up as well. 
If I buy older with lower mileage I'll probably have to look at an exhaust exchange brake calipers maybe other issues?
What do people think?

If anyone has one for sale let me know. 
Thanks. 
Carbon build up isn't an issue in the UK. Calipers can go at any time if they have not been serviced as this is not on the schedule. Mine is 2007 and low mileage but has had a caliper and the water pump done which is more common.

Depends also on what model you want and spec? Colour? Interior?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk