Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I introduced myself in the noobies section but thought I'd add something here as well. I've just bought a 2004 (53) LS430 for £4400 with 91k miles in blue. Initial opinion is good although it has its problems. Have done just over 1000miles over the last 2 weeks (Wickford to Crawley 3 days per week) and so far am loving the car. I came from a '98 Honda Legend with unknown mileage and shabby paint, but it was cheap (£900) and did me for 2 years/40k miles. Prior to that had an S320CDI for 2 years that was horribly unreliable, another Legend (120k miles over 10 years) and a couple of Carltons. I need a bigger car as am 6'4" and 27stone. The LS gets about the same fuel economy as the Legends but with 70 more Bhp and better comfort. The S got over 40Mpg but the turbo lag sucked and the reliability was utter *******, however the comfort was the best ever, with the LS a close 2nd.

I have a few problems on the LS to sort over the coming months. It needs bank2 sensor1 replacing (heater is duff), the rear left door doesn't lock unless I double lock the car, and there are small rust patches above the windscreen and on the left front door. Otherwise she is in pretty good nick and everything seems to work fine.

Have also ordered a Techstream kit so I can change some settings to my liking and will keep you up to date on my progress.

Looking forward to owning this one for a while and hoping she will be reliable and fun.

Cheers,

George

Lexus1.jpg

Lexus3.jpg

Lexus2.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum George

That is a nice looking example and you are obviously clued up to the techs of these wonderful cars if you need any advice or guidance this forum as it all both in members experience and archive material.

Enjoy your gem.

Nice car and looks good in this colour.

The rust above the windscreen is probably due to those careless glass replacers who hack out the old screen with a big knife, not even softening the glue first.  They want to earn bonus on ten screens a day regardless of the damage. 

Still, a great car which will look after you!

• Like 1

Hi all,
I introduced myself in the noobies section but thought I'd add something here as well. I've just bought a 2004 (53) LS430 for £4400 with 91k miles in blue. Initial opinion is good although it has its problems. Have done just over 1000miles over the last 2 weeks (Wickford to Crawley 3 days per week) and so far am loving the car. I came from a '98 Honda Legend with unknown mileage and shabby paint, but it was cheap (£900) and did me for 2 years/40k miles. Prior to that had an S320CDI for 2 years that was horribly unreliable, another Legend (120k miles over 10 years) and a couple of Carltons. I need a bigger car as am 6'4" and 27stone. The LS gets about the same fuel economy as the Legends but with 70 more Bhp and better comfort. The S got over 40Mpg but the turbo lag sucked and the reliability was utter *******, however the comfort was the best ever, with the LS a close 2nd.
I have a few problems on the LS to sort over the coming months. It needs bank2 sensor1 replacing (heater is duff), the rear left door doesn't lock unless I double lock the car, and there are small rust patches above the windscreen and on the left front door. Otherwise she is in pretty good nick and everything seems to work fine.
Have also ordered a Techstream kit so I can change some settings to my liking and will keep you up to date on my progress.
Looking forward to owning this one for a while and hoping she will be reliable and fun.
Cheers,
George
Lexus1.jpg.2e8d3dfd829dc7b2d9bc5f0fd76cca76.jpg
Lexus3.jpg.594b2b2ca39253acfe25401fc0cf6b87.jpg
Lexus2.jpg.92df9ac6417da8e864eac51fc9467b77.jpg
Lovely! And....The best colour[emoji4]

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I also need to replace/repair the front left parking sensor. Is it a PITA  to get at?

The rust above the screen is 2 small dots about an inch from the screen. Looks more like unrepaired stone chips than screen fitter damage. The door rust is a penny sized spot of bubbling, just above the chrome strip. That one seems to be a common spot on the 430s.

I know a bit about cars, the rest comes from research here and on the US forums. I have 2 motorcycles that I do all the maintenance/repair on so can usually get by working on cars. That said with my size and age (54) working on the cars is hard compared to the bikes. Just getting to stuff is usually a lot more work on cars, especially on this type of car. :D

• Like 1

Welcome to a friendly and helpful community.  There will always be someone here to offer advice which will save you time, money or skinned knuckles - or all three!

You have bought yourself a very nice car, but I hardly need to tell you that.  I bet you are still at that stage where you find reasons to go for long drives, and enjoy both the ability to waft along in near-silent comfort, or to show a clean pair of heels to a 'youf' who thinks that his hatchback with a drainpipe for an exhaust is a match for your LS.:wink3:

Have fun and I think that you can say that you have 'invested' in a nice car, rather than purchased one.

• Like 2

What a fantastic looking Lexus. You have now been bitten by the Lexus bug and unfortunately there is no known cure. So take it like a man and enjoy all those luxurious miles ahead of you.

• Like 3

Welcome George.

Agree with all the other comments, what a fab looking LS!  Great value too.  I love my LS.

I considered an S Class before I bought my LS, but I felt a similar aged car (06) would be asking for trouble.  

Have fun.

Nick

• Like 1

By the way, I'm one of those weirdos who names his cars and bikes.

The names I choose are always based on the last 3 letters of the reg number.

So, I named her "Wafty".

My better half wet herself laughing when I told her.

When I asked why, she said "Every time you start her,.....you're having a wafty crank" :wub::w00t::yahoo:

• Haha 2

Nice LS and I particularly like the wheels on these later models.

Nice punch line for Wafty - I'll use that if I get a chance, can beat a bit of spoonerism.

My last 3 initials are TBC and I can only think of Thurrock Borough Council - not a pleasant thought.

1 hour ago, DaKa said:

Nice punch line for Wafty - I'll use that if I get a chance, can beat a bit of spoonerism.

My last 3 initials are TBC and I can only think of Thurrock Borough Council - not a pleasant thought.

Are you sure about that, or is it To Be Confirmed?

Reminds me of the reg on my goldwing. It ended in BRE. Add that to the last 3 letters in HONDA - BRENDA!

• Haha 1

Welcome George, funny enough, mine also blew the (pre-cat) bank2 sensor 1 heater about 1 month after I bought it!

I got an original Denso lambda replacement from RockAuto (US) for about £50-60 incl. postage if I remember well - fitted myself. UK prices (forget Lexus dealer...) were a joke.

I also suggest you double-check your exhaust for leaks or clogs, I mean if the blow of gasses has equal strength from both pipes. Suggest you look up my post "bug in the exhaust".

What else... folks here recommend changing the radiator (which I'll be doing soon when we get a bit warmer weather) to avoid ATF glycol contamination and in effect killing the tranny.

Enjoy!

Got a Denso lambda from fleabay for £65 delivered. Now just need to fit it.

Both exhausts are even flow and she is whisper quiet with a mild roar when you stomp -)

Am considering the rad swap, but will probably wait until summer.

Got a Denso lambda from fleabay for £65 delivered. Now just need to fit it.
Both exhausts are even flow and she is whisper quiet with a mild roar when you stomp -)
Am considering the rad swap, but will probably wait until summer.
My car is over 17 years old now and still has the same radiator. If there is no leaking what should make me replace it? Age, (just in case) or a common fault in a specific area?

33 minutes ago, lex - eleven said:

My car is over 17 years old now and still has the same radiator. If there is no leaking what should make me replace it? Age, (just in case) or a common fault in a specific area?

There is an transmission oil cooler, housed within the bottom of the radiator. There have been several instances where the pipe coming from the cooler separates from the body allowing coolant and fluid to mix. When the engine is running the pressure from the transmission is greater than pressure in the cooling system and the fluid will go from the transmission into the coolant - which will overflow. This isn't too bad but once the engine is turned off there is the possibility for coolant to get back into the transmission. So you have a choice, spend £100 every 10 years on a new rad or run the risk of needing a new £3,000 transmission.

This design is common on nearly all Toyota vehicles with an automatic transmission, however the LS430 seems to suffer more than most. Possibly vibration, tension on the pipes or something else, but either the welding gives way or corrosion sets in.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2018 at 12:39 PM, DaKa said:

Don't you mean a spit of boonerism?