Do you always use super unleaded?

Do you always use super unleaded?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you always use super unleaded

• All the time
    • Sometimes
    • Never

20 minutes ago, Texas said:

As this Poll has been posted in the 'F' section do I assume that you are only wanting responses from 'F' car users on their fuel choice?

paul m.

It's from a conversation off line.

The manual for RCF states to use 96 or above. The sales brochure and what one may have been told when purchasing states 95. 

Using 97 if you don't need to is a waste of money. Using 95 when you shouldn't is potentially harmful.

I have emailed Lexus customer services and await their reply. If no good will ask my local dealer's master tech.

Frustrating to have 2 figures stated in different documents, I would tend to trust the manual more but mistakes happen. Especially when writing for so many different markets.

From shell website:

1. Compared to Shell's regular fuel. Helps to clean key fuel system components such as intake valves from the build up of performance robbing deposits. 3x more cleaning molecules does not result in 3x the cleaning power. Actual effects and benefits may vary according to vehicle type, vehicle condition and driving style. No guarantees provided. See Fuels Help for more information.
  2. Compared to Shell's previous formulation of Shell V-Power Unleaded. Helps to clean key fuel system components such as intake valves and/or fuel injectors from the build up of performance robbing deposits. 30% more cleaning molecules does not result in 30% more cleaning power. Actual effects and benefits may vary according to vehicle type, vehicle condition and driving style. No guarantees provided. See Fuels Help for more information.
  3. Actual benefits may vary. No guarantees provided.
  4. Helps to restore engine condition by helping to remove performance robbing deposits from key fuel system components such as intake valves and/or fuel injectors. Actual benefits may vary. No guarantees provided.
  5. Boosted compared to Shell’s regular fuel. Designed to help clean and protect key fuel system components such as intake valves and/or fuel injectors from the build-up of performance robbing deposits. Actual effects and benefits may vary according to vehicle type, vehicle condition and driving style. No guarantees provided.
  6. Boosted compared to Shell’s regular fuel. Actual benefits may vary. No guarantees provided.

I mostly use normal fuel in my GSF, as I did in my ISF before. I have run the occasional tank of V-power in both and didn’t notice any difference.

I use V-Power in my S2000 - inside the filler door there’s a sticker saying to use 98+ octane fuel. I once had to run a tank of normal petrol due to higher octane fuel being unavailable and the car felt very flat between 8-9000rpm. Quite a different engine though! 

• Like 1

Never run super. Car is tuned not to need it. 95 Ocatne is pretty good compared with the US for example. My 350Z like Stuarts S2000 needed higher though, so always ran super in that.
Might need to use a few tanks of super before the car re-tunes itself to best take advantage, for anyone wanting to try it.

Never run super. Car is tuned not to need it. 95 Ocatne is pretty good compared with the US for example

Is 95 stated in isf manual?

Usa 91 and UK 95 are basically the same. Like inches and cm.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Comedian said:

It's from a conversation off line.

The manual for RCF states to use 96 or above. The sales brochure and what one may have been told when purchasing states 95. 

Using 97 if you don't need to is a waste of money. Using 95 when you shouldn't is potentially harmful.

I have emailed Lexus customer services and await their reply. If no good will ask my local dealer's master tech.

Frustrating to have 2 figures stated in different documents, I would tend to trust the manual more but mistakes happen. Especially when writing for so many different markets.

This is what is stated in the GS F engine spec in the workshop manual:

Premium unleaded gasoline with a Research Octane Number 98 or higher required for optimum engine performance. If 98 octane cannot be obtained, you may use unleaded gasoline with a Research Octane Number as low as 95. Use of unleaded fuel with a Research Octane Number lower than 95 may result in engine knocking and significantly reduced performance. Persistent knocking can lead to engine damage and should be corrected by refueling with higher octane unleaded gasoline.

And in the owners manual:

EU area:
You must only use unleaded gasoline conforming to European standard EN228.
Select unleaded gasoline with a Research Octane Number of 98 or higher for optimum engine performance.

If unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 98 RON is not available, unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 95 RON may be used with no detriment to engine durability or driveability.

• Like 1

Yes, religiously use V-Power in both our cars. In fairness, wife’s Juke has to have V-Power (Nissan Juke Nismo RS), and with the supercharger on mine, I’d never use anything else unless it was life or death...... :wink3:

• Like 1

Just adding my two cents.

Despite many reports to the contrary I do see a difference running V-Power and as a result have run it in all my cars for the last 10 years plus.

You only see a difference when you’ve used it tank after tank for many miles. After that, when you have to put a tank of bog standard fuel in, you see a loss of power and rougher idling straight away. It’s as if the car gets used to the higher octane.

We drive to France every year and stick a few thousand miles on the car every time. Have never found a shell that stocked VPower in France (not many shells tbh) and I do notice the difference over there when running on bog standard fuel.

On return to uk and with a few tanks of VPower back in her the drive is noticeably different.

VPower only, where possible, for me.

When the ECU detects knocking it will retard the ignition. It detects and reacts to this very quickly as pre-ignition can cause engine damage. When you go back to a higher octane fuel the ECU will not instantly try and advance the ignition timing again which is why you sometimes need to run a tank of fuel or more to see the benefits again.

Most cars will see an improvement in mpg and bhp with higher octane fuel, but for me it was never enough to justify the 10p per litre difference in cost.

Having said that, so far I've only used V-Power in mine, but I may try standard to see if I notice a difference. It seems the F engine will work fine with 95 RON fuel, you just won't get full power which you really aren't going to notice on the road.

I know people that alternate between V-Power and standard in other vehicles, mainly to get the better cleaning agents rather than ultimate performance.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Use of unleaded fuel with a Research Octane Number lower than 95 may result in engine knocking and significantly reduced performance. Persistent knocking can lead to engine damage 

unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 95 RON may be used with no detriment to engine durability or driveability.

:rolleyes: Thanks Lexus

9 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

So, additives aside, standard unleaded is fine. All in agreement?

No, I don't agree.

More because I can't understand the stigma/issue over an extra 10/12p a litre over regular unleaded?

If you get 40 litres of V-Power at £1.50 a litre (not accurate price as I can't remember what it is near me at the moment!), that's £60 all in.

If you have a 20p off a litre coupon or voucher, that equates to a life changing saving of £8.

Now personally the additives and R&D I know Shell put in for their fuels is worth the extra to give me peace of mind.

Each to their own, but I see it the same way as with tires, wouldn't run remolds or budget tires on my high performance car, so why would I run cheap/normal fuel?!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Flytvr said:

So, additives aside, standard unleaded is fine. All in agreement?

Let me get this straight. You think that what people think or agree on - on this forum - will have an effect on your engines reaction to the wrong fuel? :wink3:

I'm leaning towards super being better for this engine.

The only minor issue seems a slight disparity in owners manuals with RCF staying use 96 above, and as Colin showed from GSF no LOWER than 95. 

So we can say 95 safe but slightly less performce

Super - full fat muscle car loveliness.

Wheras putting super unleaded in a Battery powered car is similar to putting Calgon in your washing machine. 

11 minutes ago, Comedian said:

Wheras putting super unleaded in a battery powered car is similar to putting Calgon in your washing machine

Yup, doesn't get the clothes any cleaner but the machine keeps functioning at it's best for longer :wink3:

Bottom line is one isn't going to cause any damage