Do you always use super unleaded?

Do you always use super unleaded?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you always use super unleaded

• All the time
    • Sometimes
    • Never

1 hour ago, Flytvr said:

So, additives aside, standard unleaded is fine. All in agreement?

Yes, as in its not going to do any damage or worsen the durability. 

Might run a bit smoother and get more performance out of super unleaded but maybe 0.1s to 60mph - but I guess every little helps at the traffic lights

16 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Yes, as in its not going to do any damage or worsen the durability. 

Provided it's in the engine's design to be able to use it. Some high performance engines may not be so lucky. It's not a general rule.

56 minutes ago, Comedian said:

Provided it's in the engine's design to be able to use it. Some high performance engines may not be so lucky. It's not a general rule.

Well yes, dependent on the vehicle of course but the current Lexus lineup will be safe on standard unleaded in the UK.

Well yes, dependent on the vehicle of course but the current Lexus lineup will be safe on standard unleaded in the UK.
Maybe I have the wrong manual. Is there as UK specific one? Got this via my lexus. 4eb787a2fe8280b0aa5021db192fce5c.jpg

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

IIRC there was a fuel test in Evo magazine comparing all the fuels.  I believe that BP Ultimate won with Shell Optimax (The old school V-Power) coming second.

The 95 RON fuels were down on power and torque on the test bed car (Think it was a MKV Golf GTi or could have even been an EP3 Civic Type R).

This was about 10 years ago though and that edition of Evo long thrown away

For me personally I will always look to put V-Power in mine (Shell station about 2 miles from my house) or if caught short will always go for the next best Premium Option.

My old Integra Type R's and my S2000 all said at least 98 inside the fuel cap.

I ran 102 RON in the ISF while over in Germany.  It certainly didn't cause any issues and cost the same as 97/98 over here.  4 laps of the Ring later though and the tank was empty with a fairly decent MPG I thought.  This included trip from station to track and cool down drives between laps so probably pushing 6mpg in track time ;-)

IMG_20170910_183926.jpg

1 minute ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

IIRC there was a fuel test in Evo magazine comparing all the fuels.  I believe that BP Ultimate won with Shell Optimax (The old school V-Power) coming second.

The 95 RON fuels were down on power and torque on the test bed car (Think it was a MKV Golf GTi or could have even been an EP3 Civic Type R).

This was about 10 years ago though and that edition of Evo long thrown away

For me personally I will always look to put V-Power in mine (Shell station about 2 miles from my house) or if caught short will always go for the next best Premium Option.

My old Integra Type R's and my S2000 all said at least 98 inside the fuel cap.

I ran 102 RON in the ISF while over in Germany.  It certainly didn't cause any issues and cost the same as 97/98 over here.  4 laps of the Ring later though and the tank was empty with a fairly decent MPG I thought.  This included cool down drives between laps so probably pushing 6mpg in track time ;-)

IMG_20170910_183926.jpg

Completely off track - I LOVE THE ISF DIALS!!! ❤️

Happy now I've seen the statement. So it's ok to use if you have to, which does point to the electronics compensating.

I'll stick to super for the miles I do and enjoy the full performance I paid for.

6 hours ago, Comedian said:

Happy now I've seen the statement. So it's ok to use if you have to, which does point to the electronics compensating.

I'll stick to super for the miles I do and enjoy the full performance I paid for.

Just dont fill up at Sainsburys - Im pretty sure that their "Super Unleaded" is 97 RON lol

21 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Yup, doesn't get the clothes any cleaner but the machine keeps functioning at it's best for longer :wink3:

Bottom line is one isn't going to cause any damage 

I've just put some Calgon in the ISF. What happens next?

• Like 1

Results are in

Lexus Customer Relations ref: CASE0896734

Dear Sean,

I have been advised that for your particular vehicle, we recommend the use of unleaded gasoline conforming to European standard EN228, Research Octane Number of 98 or higher.

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

Results are in

Lexus Customer Relations ref: CASE0896734

Dear Sean,

I have been advised that for your particular vehicle, we recommend the use of unleaded gasoline conforming to European standard EN228, Research Octane Number of 98 or higher.

All crystal clear then............

They've basically stated the one option that they can be certain will not cause an issue with that engine. The legal dept has sanctioned the reply, arse covering..

Cynical, me??

• Like 2