Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Simple mod

Had that mod on my ISF for about 3 months now although I did buy 2 nice black plastic/rubber 3mm vacuum end caps and totally removed the little hose. You get chewbacca from 2000rpm and a much more linear acceleration curve too.

• Like 3

It's a rubbish mod.

Besides, the solenoid cuts the vacuum so why not just unplug the solenoid? Tidier at least.

Need a scoop for cold air ideally. Gets pretty warm under that bonnet.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

I read this in Evo recently and wondered by publishing that picture has Meaden effectively destroyed any hope of a successful warranty claim should something go wrong (as unlikely as it probably is)

@FTBBCVoodoo Lee I’ve already got this car on my list when they first received it, it’s under the heading of ‘Press Journalism use possibly abuse’

Just for the info as always of any new owner off here in the future.

Big Rat

• Like 1

I briefly tried this out on the IS-F. Does make it sound much better, but at the risk of lost performance from heat soak.
Hence why I purchased a Takeda intake. You get the extra noise, but still retain the factory cold air intake at lower RPM/Speed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know I’m resurrecting a slightly dated thread, but I’ve only just seen this, and rushed out to block the vacuum pipe on my GSF!

It sounds quite a bit different! The normal increase in noise from the twin-stage intake now comes in noticeably and seamlessly from about 2000rpm, not suddenly at about 3800-4000. I’ve only been for a quick spin around local roads - no motorway stuff yet.

It’s a thumbs-up from me...

• Like 2

So, as you'll know from the thread above I have this mod and love it. Induction growl from 2000 instead of 3400 and unless I am mistaken, all it does is permanently open the flap that allows air to be sucked in through the vent in your offside wheel arch. With that in mind, unless you live in Florida then how does this increase heat soak?

The official Lexus line (as posted on a fair few US forums) is that you are only pulling in 'cool' air from the wheel well once the car is up to speed and they see that as being any speed where revs are over 3400rpm. This may correlate to the power band of the engine too?

As we live in what is primarily a siberian climate I reckon we're pretty much getting cool air all the time from the wheel well, although I'm gonna drop my front wheel out and curl up in there with the engine running for a day to see how hot I get.

Given that the RR racing intake ditches the stupid actuator all together and leaves the wheel well intake permanently open then I'm fairly confident this mod won't do any harm, unless you happen to be on the Fuji Speedway and it's 100 degrees celcius in the shade.

I'm no expert but my car sounds ace with the mod and I'm sure it's added at least 1,000 horsepower, especially when combined with my Intel inspired "V8 inside" sticker. 

Just to be clear. I do not have that sticker......

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Comedian said:

Flap just opens into engine bay on rcf. Unless I've missed something, will have a better look. 650a940058370c4bea28fa631032a9c2.jpg

You should get an ISF Sean, purely for intake temperature reduction!

Check the wheel arch liner for a vented section above the brake disc duct, mines definitely there mate and runs straight into a duct into the bottom if the induction box but can’t vouch for you ‘modern’ lot in your spangly RCFs :wink3:

• 2 weeks later...
You should get an ISF Sean, purely for intake temperature reduction!
Check the wheel arch liner for a vented section above the brake disc duct, mines definitely there mate and runs straight into a duct into the bottom if the induction box but can’t vouch for you ‘modern’ lot in your spangly RCFs :wink3:
Finally snapped a pic for you. On rc just gets engine bay air. No link to wheel well at all.

785443f634a5a2729c24b35bb24a24b9.jpg7378677a20158bf7a3fec544903af08c.jpg

It is the same on the GS F

IMG_3279.thumb.jpg.76bbdda425ab62ca0096ca464c29c33b.jpg

Not a problem in normal operation because when it opens at medium to high rpm the airflow will be sufficient that air won't be heated by the engine. If you do the mod and have it open all the time then you will get hot air when idling/stuck in traffic.

Interestingly it seems Lexus could vent to the wheel arch if they wanted to - there are cutouts on both sides which are just covered by the wheel arch liner. The following pic is on the other side as it is easier to see but it is just below the main air intake pictured above.

IMG_3281.thumb.jpg.74d4cbe09c37fa8a3c5bcffccbf9cf3f.jpg

• Like 2

thanks colin. I did type about airflow and heat soak sat in traffic but somehow it didn't post.

I will have a closer look for those slots.

This looks like a great opportunity for some warranty destroying homegrown mods!!

Who's willing to open up an inbound line to the wheel arch and drill some holes in their wheel liner then?

58 minutes ago, Comedian said:

Make a cardboard template tube and go from there. A lot of effort for not much gain?

But you get a totally custom mod and you're an innovator (legend!) :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links