Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

EV Mode cancelled due to "Excessive Acceleration"

What is the definition of “excessive acceleration”?

When in EV mode, it seems very eager to start the engine even when the gas pedal is pressed very gently. It also happens when in ECO or Normal mode (not tried Sport). For example when in a queue of traffic, as soon as you start to move off the engine starts then will shut off again a few seconds later. I don’t press the accelerator hard, just a gentle push. It is very difficult to get the car rolling without the engine starting. Bit of a pain in stop start traffic. Battery level is 50% plus. Is this normal?

Car is 2015 pre facelift IS300h.

Thanks

Paul 

Perfectly normal (and annoying in stop/start traffic!). I think there's a combination of accelerator position and engine load (hill ect..) that can trigger cancellation. I can get up to 15-20 mph from standstill in EV mode but only on a warm engine.

Don't forget in this cold weather the engine will start just to keep the cabin warm.

Yes, the engine does need to be warm and I also think that Battery needs to be at the right temperature too for the car to allow a reasonable acceleration in EV only. Certainly when I've done a few miles and everything is up to temperature then in traffic that is pottering along with a light right foot I can keep up in the queue of traffic (on the flat) purely in EV up to 40mph. However if the traffic moves off more smartly then the engine has to kick in then once up to speed lifting off the accelerator restores EV mode and gently pressing down will maintain the speed in EV mode. I did read somewhere that the best economy is actually using the engine (rather than EV mode) to get up to speed with reasonable acceleration (it uses a lot of Battery to accelerate) and then doing the lift off (to get the EV to come on) then gentle use to maintain EV for constant speed and then if accelerating again allow the engine to come in to raise the speed then repeat...

• Like 2

From cold, if you press the EV button as soon as you start the car, it will run in EV mode as long as the Battery has charge.

Turn off the fan and AC as well, as the demands of heat and ventilation is what keeps the engine running/demands it starts.

keep the power meter in the 1st eco bit of the meter, above the first quadrant mark will give you the message.

It does take a light right foot and patience of a saint as acceleration is very steady. Anything other than flat or downhill will probably mean you cant get above 5mph without engine start or take 15-30secs to get up to 20-30mph on electric.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve44 said:

From cold, if you press the EV button as soon as you start the car, it will run in EV mode as long as the battery has charge.

Turn off the fan and AC as well, as the demands of heat and ventilation is what keeps the engine running/demands it starts.

When cold it will only let you do 20 mph :sad:

As you say, turn off the cabin heater/AC and use your seat heaters.

You drive a hybrid not an EV car. Use the engine to get to speed (less than 40) then use the batteries to continue. 

EV can be used alone but only in stop start traffic really.

Best of both worlds our cars.

The only time I use it is when moving my car about in the drive prior to washing or similar. On pressing the go button it works if you tap EV mode within a couple of seconds which avoids the engine starting up which as I am old school I like to avoid for wear reasons ( I know pointless but hey how old habits etc).

1 hour ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Another use of EV mode is when I am sitting in the car having my lunch. In EV mode the heated seats and air con work but the engine is not running as long as battery is charged.

How long does that last before it's cancelled and the engine starts up to charge the traction Battery? Doesn't the engine kick in to provide heat for the cabin?

If I'm parked up waiting, I just pull up and leave it in Ready mode..