Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Real opinions

Shornw

Hi all,

I'm currently looking to buy a new car and want something reasonably economical, comfortable and different to the run of the mill stuff.  I couldn't bring myself to own a BMW, Audi or Mercedes, Saab's are a bit long in the tooth these days so I've kind of reached the idea of an IS220D, preferably Sport (they seem to have a few extra bits and bobs).  I've been trawling through all sorts of places looking at cars, issues and trying to get up to speed on what I should be looking/NOT looking for and inevitably found this forum - and what better place to get real world information than from people who actually own and know Lexus's (Lexii?? :wink3: )

So, can I call on your experience and expertise to to give me an idea of what, where etc would be good, things to look out for, in fact any insider information at all.  

I'm very grateful to anyone who spares the time to respond

Many thanks,

Rob

The consensus of opinion on here would be to avoid the diesel. Some on here find their diesels great cars but if you trawl through the posts you will see that they have more potential issues than the equivalent petrol model. The gearing on the diesel has been criticised for being too highly geared, particularly 6th gear. There are issues with head gaskets and DPF's blocking if you are doing short journeys. The 2.5 V6 petrol automatic has had very good reviews on  here.

I have not owned one of these cars so I am just reiterating what I have read on the forums here. My choice would be the IS300h but others might have better/alternative suggestions - BUT I would avoid the diesel. Just my opinion.

Thanks SpaceWagon - I've seen a lot of stuff here about the gear ratios. To be completely fair, I think DPF's are an issue with a lot of diesels that don't get blasted fairly regularly to keep them clear.  I'd heard about head gasket issues... is it true that the head gasket thing was resolved 2008 on or is that just wishful thinking

IS300 looks good... but I can't justify spending that sort of money tbh 

I've just bought a 250SE-L,only 5 days ago.

Like you I looked at loads of 3 series, A4'S, even  Volvo's.......

Thought I wanted a diesel too, but I don't do much more than 8/10k in miles 

So really wasn't  worth it 

Found this beauty this time last week,and two days later she was mine,

All the toys, 65k on the clock. You trawl about a bit,they are out there 

And you won't go far wrong, just a shame the snow is keeping me from getting in it 

616136BF-E43C-4B41-9747-F79877D6BF20.png

• Like 1

If your set on a Lexus IS I would definitely go for the 6 cylinder V6 over the diesel for lots of reasons. 

The 250 is equally as good on fuel as the diesel and far far more reliable, and heaps more fun to drive.

Trust me you will run into problems sooner rather than later if you purchase the 220d. You would not believe the issues I had in my short ownership along with many other members here on the forum. Just take a read through the posts here. It's full of threads with a variety of issues. 

If your lucky you may just have EGR issues. Do you fancy having to strip it out and clean it every 5000 miles? Nope thought not.

I needed a new head gasket, new EGR valve, a dpf regen and work to correct the 5th injector in the space of 6 months and it still smoked like a chimney afterwards.

• Like 1

Sorry I misread your post - I thought you were buying brand new! A car like Jimjamjohny would be my choice. The 250 V6 - make sure it is automatic. The manual I believe is a much higher road tax bracket. Good luck with your search.

Extremely comprehensive used IS250 buyers guide (applies to most model years 2005-2013 not just 2007)

The only things to really worry about though are condition of the exhaust and seized calipers. 

If you indicate your budget and preferences we can suggest what you could look for.

WOW!!! I had a feeling that this was theplace to come, and I haven't been dissappointed - thanks for the solid advice, especially the 'What to look out for' guide bobmc :smile:

Ideally, I suppose I'm looking to spend around 5K tops.  Currently I 'm not doing loads of miles (around 300/week but as a contractor, that can change dramatically) so spending loads on a car doesn't really work for me. 

What are the real running costs of the IS250? Does anyone know why the auto is cheaper on road tax than the manual variant 

Thanks again for all your help

You have @is200 Newbie to thank for the guide.  

On that budget, you will probably be looking at cars which have done >100K but this shouldn't be an issue unless the it's been neglected and/or abused. You will also find the manuals are significantly cheaper than auto - primarily due to the tax (there's a maginal difference in the CO2 figures) but also because the manual has a reputation for not being entirely suited to the engine. I haven't driven a manual so can't comment further but I've not heard of any reliability issues so you might decide that the savings on the purchase price outweigh the extra RT costs.

You will also save money if you go for the version without the built-in SatNav (which is not as good as a smartphone or a TomTom anyway).

Real running costs? Well the IS250 is not particularly economic on short to medium runs - expect around 25 to 30mpg. Motorway cruising will return better mpg. Routine maintenance costs (oil filter/brake pads etc) are pretty average for a 2 litre car. However, the lexus specific stuff like the Exhaust can be quite pricey and even the breakers want premium prices.

This looks like a nice example in your budget

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802264084551

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Easter everyone.

Thank you all so much for the advice - I definitely think the diesel is a non-starter, sooooooooo..... now giving consideration to GS450H or RX400H.  More expensive to buy but we all know how easily 'just another £500' is and before you know it the budget is stretched too £8K.  Looking at some of the cars out there, they must have been owned by NASA if the mileage is anythingg to go by lol - 260K is the best I've seen yet which is a massive testament to these vehicles.

I'd certainly appreciate any thoughts from people who own/have owned either, as well as the benefit of the wealth of first hand knowledge and honesty found here.  Meanwhile I'll be combing this site 

Rob, you have pushed me to try and finish my RX review, which you may find helpful. I have a friend who is also looking for a 400h.

Do not discount the RX 300. Yes they are getting long in the tooth but good ones with low mileage do come up. 

There is a post here from Sorcerer, I believe, on fuel costs for a 400h vs 300 vs 300 with LPG. That is well worth reading. Many members on here have gone down the LPG road with great success, economy wise.

From what I remember of his post:-

RX400h = costs 19p a mile on fuel

RX300 = 22p a mile

RX300 plus LPG = 13p a mile

I managed to buy an RX300 with only 53,000 miles / full Toyota/Lexus service history and is immaculate - for half the price I would pay for a 400h.

Will try and finish my review tonight and post on the RX forum.

To Shornw is220d owner here. Love my is even though the diesel. Try to find an is250 auto in SE-L trim level. There are plenty out there. Try autotrader and motors.co.uk. Plenty on there depending on how far you want to travel.

Bought mine last Feb for £3500 92k on clock. Mechanically faultless passed mot no  advisories. Everything works on it. Had a terraclean and egr service done too. BUT still smokes like its on fire every so often. Egr probably needs doing again. Get the well documented vsc eml triangle lights coming on occasionally but always resets after three restarts without limp mode activating.

Needs regular motorway use to avoid problems, despite this you will love driving a Lexus I won't be buying any other cars only Lexus for me. Plan on keeping mi 220d for a year more then looking for another is in petrol auto.

If you're lucky you may find a is250 auto with the mark levinson audio, sunroof,  touch screen system. This I would buy.