Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

TP Traffic Info DAB RX450

Now got to grips with 95% of the various settings on my RX450. One thing I'm stuck on is how to get traffic info when tuned to DAB.

The relevant TP setting is set ok. It works on FM and shows TP on the screen but can't get it to work on DAB. 

I know that on DAB local traffic info is limited but on previous cars FM radio used to interrupt DAB radio for local traffic updates.

Does anyone know if TP works on Lexus DAB or not

Thanks Colin but problem seems to be that it can't find any DAB traffic stations since the TP sign doesn't appear in the display even though TP is switched on

Looks like a visit to the dealers since TSR strangely, not often but occasionally, reads speed limit in kph.

24 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

It will think any number it sees is in mph.

Travelling along the M4 2 weeks ago it changed from 50 to 90 in a set of roadworks, then from 70 to 130 on the A12

TBH it's no big deal since TSR is something I would never specify, but since it came fitted I'm just curious as to why it has occasionally suggest speed limits of 90 and 130 

I find when this happens that it reads a speed limit on the back of a lorry with km/h limits. If there is nothing around and it is doing it then maybe the GPS is playing up and suddenly thinking you are in mainland Europe.

Good point on the limits displayed on the back of lorries.

Although I can't recall the exact circumstances it does sound a strong probability. I'll keep an eye out the next time I'm on the motorway

• 1 month later...

Update on the original question "Does anyone receive TP traffic info when tuned to DAB stations on a 4RX"

Dealer also cannot work out why there is no TP traffic info when tuned to a DAB station and why the TP signal doesn't show even though all the settings to receive traffic announcements are turned on. They have tried it on one of the company dealer cars over the past 3 weeks and confirm that their car behaves in the same way.

Both dealer and myself believe the usual method of getting traffic announcements on DAB is that the FM traffic announcements interrupt the DAB just as they interrupt music played via USB or iPod. The interruption on USB etc works fine 

Dealer has now asked Lexus Technical for guidance on what is supposed to happen re TP traffic announcements when listening to DAB radio when all the relevant settings are turned on. They have advised me not to expect an answer for 3 weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Final update!

Lexus Technical have confirmed that, although many manufacturers programme their audio so that DAB can be interrupted by FM Traffic Announcements, Lexus and Toyota do not.

Pretty poor show from a so called premium car manufacturer, if Ford can programme this technology into a £14k Fiesta why can’t Lexus on a £50k-£60k car. Also why indicate in the manual that it does and why include the settings on the audio set up to receive traffic announcements. I’ve had DAB in my cars since 2011 and this is the first that can’t handle some simple software programming. The FM announcements interrupt ok when listening to music via USB, CD player & Bluetooth so what’s so hard!

So the instruction from Lexus is “if you want traffic announcements whilst driving long distances use FM and put up with the poorer quality and possible poor reception in areas” They must be taking note from Land Rover on how to treat customers with contempt!

Doesn't the live traffic function on the Nav perform a similar function? In that it can display traffic hold-ups and if a route is programmed, re-route automatically?

Yes, but only if you have connected services turned on and a route programmed, unless I am missing something in which case I’m happy to be shown what I’m missing.

When I know the route I tend not to programme it but looks as though I will have to in the future

Pretty sure, with just the map displayed and connected services enabled, it will show you hold ups etc...

Make sure you have "Show Traffic Info" set on.