Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hi my 250 se-l take a while to warm up , just had an rx 2004 and it warmed up by the end of the road 1/4 ml whereas  the IS take well over 1ml

would a new therm and/or flush help or is this norm.

Pretty normal in the current climate, I reckon. If the temperature is around the 0 degree mark, my car will stay in the fast idle mode for ages.

The gearbox also has to warm up. I left my car running for about about half an hour yesterday whilst I dug it out of the snow and cleared the driveway. By the time I was finished the engine was at it's optimum temperature, however the gearbox wasn't and would not use 6th gear until I had driven a considerable distance.

Ditto, mine takes ages compared to my mondeo but that has a lot less cylinders and coolant! 

Try and take note how long it actually does take to get upto normal operating temp now ( -2'C outside) and wait until the Summer when/if the ambient temp is 28' and compare the two.

paul m.

It's bound to take a longer time that a more modern car as it's a big old lump. Plenty of coolant to circulate through and over 6 litres of oil to warm up that's why I use the wife's little Honda for short journeys. If you're only driving a few miles in an IS you've bought the wrong car.

The Lexus IS250 takes an age to warm up. Longer than any other car I've ever owned.

During my 6 mile commute to work in this current climate the car has just about reached temperature when I arrive. (needle just left of centre)

even during the summer it can take 3 miles to reach temperature. 

I had two IS250s before my RX.  My commute to work is 5 miles and they were only just up to full temperature as I arrived.

My RX however, is fully up to temperature after just a couple of miles.