Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The First 7 Weeks Of Ownership

Kevint

I have now done over 2,000 miles in my IS200 Sport so time to give some feedback on the car.

Driving - The car has loosened up considerably since new and feels a lot quicker. The gearbox is much smoother and reverse, in particular, is easier to engage. It is useful to have the audible notification of reverse as a couple of times I have engaged it by mistake. I very quickly got used to 6th gear but waiting for the moment I try to find 6th in a 5 speed car and get reverse :crybaby: . The car is so easy to drive :) , little grunt and not going to win a straight line sprint but nevertheless happy to be driven quickly on twisty roads.

Dealer - When I originally got the car, Lexus Croydon were out of Lexus key fobs but promised to post some on to me, after a reminder at the end of January I have now received these. The first time I washed the car I noticed some marks on the paintwork, looked like something sticky on the paint surface on the drivers door, whilst I probably could have removed myself I believed this had been there from new so had Lexus Croydon take the car back. The diagnosis was that it was remnants of a protective coating that had not been removed properly, it took two attempts before they resolved the problem to my satisfaction. I was also having problems with the remote boot release but felt a bit of a fool when I was told to hold the button down longer and that resolved the problem, I suppose I should have read the manual but it is the size of an average paperback.

Fuel - My average fuel consumption is 27mpg, varying from 24->30 mpg, depending on the type of driving. I knew that fuel consumption would not be great but am a little disappointed with this. Running on BP unleaded but may try Shell Optimax for a few tanks and see if that improves things.

I love all the items on the car that can be extras on other brands, my other half is particularly fond of the heated seats on a cold morning and I am surprised how useful the remote boot release is, now I know how to use it. The washer jets are the best I have come across.

The best compliment I can pay is that my RX-7 has been driven so little that the Battery was flat last weekend, the first time in 4 years!

Overrall very pleased with the car,

Kevin

PS I signed up for Gold membership on 28th Jan but yet to received a membership pack.

glad you're happy and enjoying your lex. not sure how you'd hit reverse looking for 6th but i had the same prob with the boot release the first couple of times i tried it!

Perhaps I didn't explain well enough.  Some other car's gearboxes have reverse where the Lexus has 6th, so if I forget I am not in the Lexus and try for 6th I'll get a major shock.

Kevin

i keep trying to put the missus's peugeot 106 in sixth gear :duh: i keep getting a strange noise from it :whistling: oops

Perhaps I didn't explain well enough.  Some other car's gearboxes have reverse where the Lexus has 6th, so if I forget I am not in the Lexus and try for 6th I'll get a major shock.

Kevin

i keep trying to put the missus's peugeot 106 in sixth gear :duh: i keep getting a strange noise from it :whistling: oops

i keep tryna drive the cav and van without putting my foot on the clutch OOOOOOOOOOOPs :whistling:

Thing i hate is the windscreen wiper stalk on my car and the indicator stalk on my van are on opposite sides i am forever indicating when it starts raining

keep forgetting to turn the :tsktsk: lights off in other cars :whistling:

How are your wheels? I've seen other comments about corrosion, and can already see some bubbling on the inner edge of mine. Car was new in November 2003 and only has 700m on the clock...

How are your wheels? I've seen other comments about corrosion, and can already see some bubbling on the inner edge of mine. Car was new in November 2003 and only has 700m on the clock...

i am also taking my car in at the weekend hopefully to get them to look at my wheels. spots of what looks like corrosion appearing. again car is only 3 months old

Perhaps I didn't explain well enough. Some other car's gearboxes have reverse where the Lexus has 6th, so if I forget I am not in the Lexus and try for 6th I'll get a major shock.

I did that in a hire car at 80mph - thought the gear box was going to drop out (it was a Peugeot 406) but it survived!!!