Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Beast From the Far East V’s The Beast From the East

We stay in Bishopton which was 2nd worst hit in the UK this week with 45cm of snow and deeper drifts.

The RX350 might be a soft roader with no proper 4WD system but it was surprisingly good. Never got stuck once despite drifts over the bonnet.

I ended up doing mercy missions for snowbound villagers getting bread, milk and medicines. Also did a few runs to local hospitals transporting staff.

Obviously the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S helped because I passed several stuck 4x4’s including XC90s, Ravs, CRVs, X-trails, etc.

Also took the GS450H out which was awesome (also has Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S).

The only thing it wasn’t great at was towing people stuck in ditches but that’s to be expected with no diff lock.

fb49432012f9608d7aad537e130b0565.jpg

This was down the sheltered bit at the side of the house.

ed4cdd9c2cc9770adaaed5da549d7baf.jpg

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

The correct tyres for the conditions makes all the difference, whatever the car....

What makes more difference; the tread or the compound?

1 minute ago, PCM said:

What makes more difference; the tread or the compound?

Difficult to separate them. 

One needs a good cross tyre tread pattern with many sipes. One also needs a soft compound to allow the tread to flex and move at the lower temperatures.

The compound is for temperature.
The tread picks up snow as nothing sticks to snow like snow. And that's how they work.

On ice - you're in trouble without spikes/studs.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

We stay in Bishopton which was 2nd worst hit in the UK this week with 45cm of snow and deeper drifts.

The RX350 might be a soft roader with no proper 4WD system but it was surprisingly good. Never got stuck once despite drifts over the bonnet.

I ended up doing mercy missions for snowbound villagers getting bread, milk and medicines. Also did a few runs to local hospitals transporting staff.

Obviously the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S helped because I passed several stuck 4x4’s including XC90s, Ravs, CRVs, X-trails, etc.

Also took the GS450H out which was awesome (also has Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S).

The only thing it wasn’t great at was towing people stuck in ditches but that’s to be expected with no diff lock.

fb49432012f9608d7aad537e130b0565.jpg&key=b005733038b353790ffdbd81b29b3dbdf4d35c5fead74909160f8d0840a13f68

This was down the sheltered bit at the side of the house.

ed4cdd9c2cc9770adaaed5da549d7baf.jpg&key=f4f550c6ec517c57711b894546077724a6ed1aa180c5e675b53a53c0792a4637

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done. What’s this VWX? Is that a sort of tire?

Is that a photo of you parked in a carpark? Did you have any difficulty finding where the road was in all that snow?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Well done. What’s this VWX? Is that a sort of tire?

Is that a photo of you parked in a carpark? Did you have any difficulty finding where the road was in all that snow?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S is the winter tyre I’ve been using for about 5 years on everything from SLK280 to X-trails and a 272bhp V6 Touareg. They can be used all year round and turn any car into a beast in the snow, handle fine on warm summers day but make a huge difference to grip on snow ice and cold greasy roads.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2