Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It's snowy here today.

Nasty snow; ice, snow, compacted snow, slush.

Lots of stuck cars, spinning cars etc.

We were both fine. 

Nokian Weatherprrof on hers, Michelin Latitude Tour HP - both all season.

We both felt safe and secure.

Cars were getting stuck on the slightest of inclines. 

I felt I could have stopped on a hill and started again, easily.

It felt good.

And safe.

:xmas:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And we both had the ECT Snow button ON.

Makes the car feel more sluggish, but I assume it works some extra magic.

54 minutes ago, PCM said:

And we both had the ECT Snow button ON.

Makes the car feel more sluggish, but I assume it works some extra magic.

No, as far as I understand it, that's what it does. It reduces power to the wheels to avoid wheel spin and allow a bit more traction. We've got no snow here so I couldn't try mine.

• Like 1

Those Nokian Weatherproof's seem to have great reviews as well. 

Its a shame they don't make them in 4RX size. 

I can't find any decent all seasons tyres - there are the Michelin Latitude Tour HP but the speed rating is H, not V which annoys me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty bad here in Sheffield. I look forward to going out in a bit in the Volvo :biggrin:

Last night when it started. You can see my IS just a little out of its comfort zone.

ELmRN0bioPnBiljOdmoIEeJv2625ri6OU3wwYFp5

It's now about 6-8" on the sideroads and the kids are having fun.

• Like 2

I came south on the M1 about 2000 last night, it was the first time I have seen Tinsley viaduct completely white, no black surface at all.  My RX, on Michelin Cross Climates, felt sure footed and safe the whole trip.

• Thanks 1

Ian, have you found the Michelin Cross Climates to be quiet in normal conditions? That is a major factor for me.

They are top of the list for my RX350 and I hope they come down in price before I need to decide.

• Like 1

Yes, perfectly fine on everything except precast concrete motorway surfaces, but that stuff is ridiculously noisy for any tyres.  I'm happy with the Cross Climates.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 5:55 PM, rayaans said:

Those Nokian Weatherproof's seem to have great reviews as well. 

Its a shame they don't make them in 4RX size. 

I can't find any decent all seasons tyres - there are the Michelin Latitude Tour HP but the speed rating is H, not V which annoys me. 

I have full winter tyres on my rx350, Nokian SUV WR3, Dont think I have see the traction light yet after three winters in the alps, Goes up the driveway in 6" plus of snow no problem and eats slush and deep puddles. Trouble is that they wear badly once the temp is above 12-15 deg. Remember that you need a minimum of 4-5mm  tread for snow - In some countries it is "illegal" to have less than 4mm. Never sure about all season tyres always seem like the worst of both worlds.

Got them from openeo who I can heartily recommend, unlike most their warehouse is in the UK

Always liked the german winter rules that if you have to be rescued or cause a jam in winter conditions while wearing summer tyres you get landed with a big fine.

5aafd9efbe49d_2012-01-0511_38_54.thumb.JPG.bc0a8578a99603e15e120afe6df64f22.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve haley said:

I have full winter tyres on my rx350, Nokian SUV WR3,

I ran those year round on my XC90. From Oponeo too. Excellent tyre and didn't find the wear that bad. Though I'm north of the wall :biggrin:

I think All Seasons are a great compromise for the UK. I was a little skeptical when I swapped the Nokians for Pirelli Scorpions but I've had absolutely no issues with the last few lots of snow. And I go looking for it. At other times of the year I don't drive like I'm lapping the Nurburgring so grip or stopping is never an issue.

• Like 1

I have been using Nankang winter tyres since they transformed my LS430 into an almost 4wd car in the snow.  They have been brilliant on the RX400h and they are cheap (about £70 a corner).  I was swapping tyres every april and November but these days I leave them on all year and they still seem to have enough tread to get through a second winter.

Am I right in thinking my 400H has no 'snow' button or anything like it.  I found on here some weird button and key sequence that might allow me to turn off the traction control which I haven't tried yet - but which might have helped me get out of a muddy field with a caravan?

Mike

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links