emjay82

Good buy or stay away?

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, coming across from another forum for some advice on the NX 300H currently for sale at Lexus Edinburgh. Just under £17, 000 but with 135,000 miles on the clock. I'm interested to know if this is a good buy for a family car for the next 5+ years or better stretching the budget to £23-25,000 to get a lower mileage car. 

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801112650865?atmobcid=soc3

Many thanks in advance. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Would they extend the warranty to 3 years I wonder?

Regular servicing?

Motorway miles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Naturally they'd say motorway miles and I guess at 35,000 miles a year it would have to be. Agreed, a long warranty would be helpful. Any history of these engines/batteries standing up to very high mileage? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Lexus website it is showing as being at Lexus Teeside. £6k cheaper than anything else so quite a good saving. I'd insist on them throwing in an extra 2 year's warranty - you just need to understand that it will force you to use Lexus dealers for servicing during the warranty period.

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/NX-300h/25-SE-Lexus-Navigation-u3blnlj

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

On the Lexus website it is showing as being at Lexus Teeside. £6k cheaper than anything else so quite a good saving. I'd insist on them throwing in an extra 2 year's warranty - you just need to understand that it will force you to use Lexus dealers for servicing during the warranty period.

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/NX-300h/25-SE-Lexus-Navigation-u3blnlj

 

Thanks, that's fine as my car is serviced at Lexus anyway, so that's not a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Date tested27 December 2017

PASS

Mileage135,025 miles

MOT test number3860 0740 3744

Test locationunavailable until further notice

Expiry date26 December 2018

Advisory notice item(s)

  • Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
  • Offside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
  • Rear wiper
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's was me i would want to see what components have been replaced or wear, ie brake disc with that millage you don't want to be paying out for replacements  so soon after purchase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as the hybrid components of the drivetrain are concerned, I'd expect you to be okay. Our Gen 2 Prius is 13 years old, 170K, and the hybrid system works as well as it did when it was new. I guess the RX forum here will have the longest experience of the NiMH traction batteries used by Lexus and Toyota. If the service intervals have been respected, it looks quite tempting at that price and with one owner.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, as13 said:

If it's was me i would want to see what components have been replaced or wear, ie brake disc with that millage you don't want to be paying out for replacements  so soon after purchase

Brake discs and pads are probably OK tbh - will generally be using regen. I bet they've not been changed.

Car should have had 10 services. 

Only problem would be the spec - its an SE - would be hard to shift on tbh and I think the current price reflects this.

TBH for that money Id be looking at a 3RX than an NX with much lower mileage - there's almost no size difference between them and the 3RX would give you all the luxuries than a basic spec NX

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being an SE, I would recommend that you take a good look at the spec sheet and compare with other models to make sure you understand what you will be missing out on.

To start with, this will be a 2WD, rather than a 4WD car. It is also missing leather, and possibly the electric rear hatch etc

Also the car is advertised as Sonic Titanium, and judging by the pics, I am not at all sure it is. It is also advertised as having LED fog/cornering lights: I can't see those on the pics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your replies, very useful. I've decided to stay away and have increased the budget to £22/23k ish. I've made offers on a few but waiting to hear back from a few dealers. F sport is the preferred model but Luxury an option too. Best value F sport is at Evans Halshaw :wacko: White at £23,500 2016 with 50,000 on the clock. Or £23,000 white Luxury 2015 with 60,000 on the clock from a Lexus dealer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, emjay82 said:

Thanks for your replies, very useful. I've decided to stay away and have increased the budget to £22/23k ish. I've made offers on a few but waiting to hear back from a few dealers. F sport is the preferred model but Luxury an option too. Best value F sport is at Evans Halshaw :wacko: White at £23,500 2016 with 50,000 on the clock. Or £23,000 white Luxury 2015 with 60,000 on the clock from a Lexus dealer. 

Evans Halshaw will hardly reduce the price, if at all and watch out for admin fees on top. They also have a 30 minute schpiel trying to sell you all sorts of add on products at hugely inflated prices. 

Does it absolutely have to be an NX? I dont know whether I would want it as a family car - it needs a lot of work to get it to speed if carrying the whole family and luggage - economy becomes worse as a result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Evans Halshaw will hardly reduce the price, if at all and watch out for admin fees on top. They also have a 30 minute schpiel trying to sell you all sorts of add on products at hugely inflated prices. 

Does it absolutely have to be an NX? I dont know whether I would want it as a family car - it needs a lot of work to get it to speed if carrying the whole family and luggage - economy becomes worse as a result.

@rayaans if the budget allowed for a new shape RX, then that would be the choice. The other half prefers the look of the NX, compared to the 2013 RX. She also feels that the cabin is more dated. Based on the engine and value for money she should get a 2013 RX but aesthetics plays a part in this for her and I've got to allow for that 😉. I've been haggling today on a few 2014/2015 cars and managed to get a couple of dealers down by £800 on their advertised prices. Just need to decide whether to pay an extra £500-£750 for a 2014 F Sport, or go for the Luxury spec.  Any thoughts... 🤔 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

@rayaans if the budget allowed for a new shape RX, then that would be the choice. The other half prefers the look of the NX, compared to the 2013 RX. She also feels that the cabin is more dated. Based on the engine and value for money she should get a 2013 RX but aesthetics plays a part in this for her and I've got to allow for that 😉. I've been haggling today on a few 2014/2015 cars and managed to get a couple of dealers down by £800 on their advertised prices. Just need to decide whether to pay an extra £500-£750 for a 2014 F Sport, or go for the Luxury spec.  Any thoughts... 🤔 

Fair enough - looks over function I suppose but hey, whatever floats her boat!

The F-Sport does look better IMO, however be aware of the diamond cut wheels being kerbed. Some of them can corrode though but not a massive thing I guess. I would expect F-Sport variants to hold their value better as well for the reason that they are relatively rare compared to the Luxury models but its probably not a huge issue. The F-Sport does come with more kit as standard as well like the triple LED headlights to name one.

The NX at Evans Halshaw Reading is pretty good value TBH - has it got a FLSH?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Fair enough - looks over function I suppose but hey, whatever floats her boat!

The F-Sport does look better IMO, however be aware of the diamond cut wheels being kerbed. Some of them can corrode though but not a massive thing I guess. I would expect F-Sport variants to hold their value better as well for the reason that they are relatively rare compared to the Luxury models but its probably not a huge issue. The F-Sport does come with more kit as standard as well like the triple LED headlights to name one.

The NX at Evans Halshaw Reading is pretty good value TBH - has it got a FLSH?

Evans Halshaw, they quoted (approx from memory) one service at 12,000 in summer 2016 and another at 25,000 miles in November 2016. Then a recent service but possibly one missing. They haven't come back to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having recently dealt with EH with my daughter buying a mini I could not recommend them at all. Agree entirely with rayaans comments re sales pitch. Also only 3 months warranty so would buy Lexus extended if it met the criteria.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sherra said:

Having recently dealt with EH with my daughter buying a mini I could not recommend them at all. Agree entirely with rayaans comments re sales pitch. Also only 3 months warranty so would buy Lexus extended if it met the criteria.

Would really prefer not to deal with them, there are a couple of others that are preferred options at the moment. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, emjay82 said:

Would really prefer not to deal with them, there are a couple of others that are preferred options at the moment. 

How about an NX200T?  Decent little engine but good value for money tbh. Tax is higher, fuel efficiency a little less in real world but the torque is very good and suits the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave up ever trying to deal with EH a couple of years ago when they couldn’t be bothered to reply to calls and messages about a couple of cars I was interested in.Plus the cars advertised always seem filthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Eame64 said:

I gave up ever trying to deal with EH a couple of years ago when they couldn’t be bothered to reply to calls and messages about a couple of cars I was interested in.Plus the cars advertised always seem filthy.

This has been my experience too. You got the feeling that they were trying to hide something about the cars. Seem to have a whiff of them being the retail arm of WBAC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rayaans said:

How about an NX200T?  Decent little engine but good value for money tbh. Tax is higher, fuel efficiency a little less in real world but the torque is very good and suits the car.

Discussed this last night, must be a much better car to drive but the prices will drop faster and the long term cost of ownership will be much higher, depreciation, tax, fuel etc. As our other car is an ISF, would be nice to balance the driveway with something a bit more efficient.... 🤯 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the EH car is a no go. 25,000 miles since the last service in Nov 2016. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, emjay82 said:

Discussed this last night, must be a much better car to drive but the prices will drop faster and the long term cost of ownership will be much higher, depreciation, tax, fuel etc. As our other car is an ISF, would be nice to balance the driveway with something a bit more efficient.... 🤯 

Honestly depends on how many miles you plan to put on it and where that mileage will be. On short trips i.e. school run or to the shops, you'll struggle to get above even 35mpg in the NX. I managed to get it down to 26mpg on my commute to work which admittedly is 2.4 miles but that was the same as the RX with a much bigger engine!

Also you have to be aware that you're potentially buying an NX300h with higher mileage compared to a 200t so servicing costs may be higher once you start getting near 60k and 100k. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2018 at 5:50 PM, emjay82 said:

Evans Halshaw, they quoted (approx from memory) one service at 12,000 in summer 2016 and another at 25,000 miles in November 2016. Then a recent service but possibly one missing. They haven't come back to me. 

13,000 miles between these two services, assuming there wasn't one in between, has taken this one outside of the recommended servicing schedule. Ok if the car has no warranty but any Lexus warranty would be invalid. Not a full Lexus service history either given the gap. Of course if it's reflected in the price then it should be ok because 13k is only 2k over the generally accepted 1 month/1,000 miles leeway Lexus would allow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paulrnx said:

13,000 miles between these two services, assuming there wasn't one in between, has taken this one outside of the recommended servicing schedule. Ok if the car has no warranty but any Lexus warranty would be invalid. Not a full Lexus service history either given the gap. Of course if it's reflected in the price then it should be ok because 13k is only 2k over the generally accepted 1 month/1,000 miles leeway Lexus would allow.

Could have been on business servicing though considering its done 50k in less than 3 years. So those intervals would have been 12k or every year

The real concern is it has no service after 25k from what was said so that is 24k miles without service. 

That car won't sell at that price - it'll be flung through auction and fetch £16-17k 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now